Widescreen laptop only showing 4:3

Farva

Extremely [H]
I have a laptop, when undocked is showing 4:3, so it has the black bars on the sides of the screen. I have updated to the latest video driver via Intel's auto-install. The laptop is running on XP SP2.

Now when the laptop is docked, the 22" display shows it as widescreen.

I'm assuming the 22" screen is an external monitor? I've had issues with laptops going from docked with an LCD to undocked and back again, in terms of resolutions. If I've restarted, I can get the laptop to show it's native resolution on its own screen. I've had to restart though, or else I only could choose from resolutions available to the external display.

Yes, the 22" is an external monitor. When the laptop first boots up, it never comes out of 4:3. Even if you put it in the dock and take it out, it is still in 4:3. This is an HP 6510b.

The other odd thing is that when in the dock, it shows the display above 1650x1080, but the monitor shows a message saying, "Cannot display above 1650x1080," or something to that effect.

is there an option in the BIOS for 'extended display' or something like that?

is there an option in the BIOS for 'extended display' or something like that?

Not that I saw. I was looking at the Hardware information, and the video card has a yellow question mark over it. Not sure why the driver would not install unless something was wrong. :confused:

yellow question mark means there is a hardware problem or incorrect driver, rather than doing an intel auto update thingy, is there a graphics driver download from the manufacturer ?

yellow question mark means there is a hardware problem or incorrect driver, rather than doing an intel auto update thingy, is there a graphics driver download from the manufacturer ?

Yup, and neither worked.

Back