Why you chose linux

I have been primarily using FreeBSD for about the past 9 years, Linux on my laptop for the last couple years. I am system admin and all of our servers are FreeBSD, thats how I got started. I prefer FreeBSD/Linux for daily tasks for a couple reasons... Rock solid stable, no viruses, rarely ever remote exploits to worry about, all my software is free. I do use XP for games but that is it... Used wine in the past just been too lazy to set it up again. I have servers that have uptimes of over 1300 days without need for reboot. I use to never turn off my desktop, it would not need to be rebooted except for after doing major upgrades. This could be over 6 months between reboots. I do find that xp works really well for just playing games, LOL... Besides that I would never go back to MS for daily use.

After several attempts to move to Linux I would always find that after I was done installing it I had nothing that I 'needed' it for. Quickly the move back to Windows it was and occasionally I'd go back and do it again when the mood struck me. Now I'm working with the Dynamips program and everything I've read says it performs better on a Linux machine rather than Windows. So I took the plunge yet again and installed it on my main machine, and ended up picking up a Mac in the process :)p) as well. Now I have a need for it and I'm enjoying the move thus far.

I don't have any linux desktops anymore, too much hassle in a windows world, regrettably.

However I do run Linux servers and I choose linux because it works well. Specifically you can expect that there won't be a lot of bizarre, random, unrepeatable software issues.

Additionally, I love the powerful CLI of Unix-based machines. Simple and powerful is good for sysadmins.

I don't have any linux desktops anymore, too much hassle in a windows world, regrettably.

However I do run Linux servers and I choose linux because it works well. Specifically you can expect that there won't be a lot of bizarre, random, unrepeatable software issues.

Additionally, I love the powerful CLI of Unix-based machines. Simple and powerful is good for sysadmins.

This is a very interesting opinion. I am the same way but opposite...most of our devleopers have either both windows & linux boxes or just windows. The servers I deal with are all Linux. For this reason my "world" is pretty much Linux which is one of the reasons I use it. I also love scripting stuff and am fair at it....

I'm sort of the center of a linux bubble in a mostly-windows workplace:
Where I work, there is a decent enough windows system in place (the usual works - roaming profiles, large network share for data, etc), and a linux server (a web/database/file-server that occasionally gets used for running analysis tools). Almost everyone have a windows PC, but a fair number also have a linux machine for running whatever it is they do. There's also a small collection of more powerful (dualbooting) workstations in a common lab. I've adopted one of those as my personal workstation and installed FreeBSD on it, since a *nix makes what I usually do significantly easier. A large part of it is handling large text files of columnar data, with asides into scripting and automating data analysis tools, and other scripts to reshape input and output data - traditional unix work, really. Most of my contact with the windows world is getting excel files, but Oo_O will handle most of those. (Now and then I get excel 2007 files that genuinely have more rows of data than Oo_O will handle - so far, asking for a tab-separated text file has worked fine, but in the worst case there's a windows machine a few meters away.)

On a slightly related note: Outlook web access 2003 is unimpressive, especially when not using IE.

Because I do some freelance development on the side with ruby on rails and ruby runs balls slow on windows.

Monowall (works great!), dd-wrt (some wireless bridge goodness), only linux I got installed. Still do like me some windows (7) on my pc. Maybe I will get a freenas box going, not to sure.

I choose it where it was free and the alternative was very expensive).

Last edited:
Back