Why you chose linux

I hear this type of thing a lot but then I see numbers where Windows 7 buy itself in just a month passed ALL deployed versions of OS X using traffic to derive the numbers. So we're going to need Windows skills for a bit at least.

I don't foresee any rise in Windows usage in the embedded/appliance market as a result of the release Windows 7; Unix-type OSes really shine in that department. Desktops are a whole another story.

Unfortunately Linux really isn't ready for mainstream desktop support. Not in general, anyway. Flash support is inconsistent, java support is sometimes flaky, and upgrades almost always break one of those, which needs to be fixed by manually editing configuration files, something the majority of people don't want to have to deal with.

For me personally, (I have just recently switched my primary desktop over to ArchLinux from Win7x64) I like the customization, and Bash is a much more elegant scripting language than Powershell or Batch. Also, its free, and after the first couple of weeks, my workflow efficiency has gone up considerably, so it has been worth the extra time it has taken to get setup properly. (Running enlightenment WM, though considering switching to a 'box' based WM, or going with gnome and heavily modifying it. Also, being able to combine IRC and my messengers into irssi is just amazing, coupled with screen and multiple terminal windows on my second screen.

For me, linux is wonderful, for the general user, unless they have the support of someone who knows what they are doing, linux is not yet ready.

Unfortunately Linux really isn't ready for mainstream desktop support. Not in general, anyway. Flash support is inconsistent, java support is sometimes flaky, and upgrades almost always break one of those, which needs to be fixed by manually editing configuration files, something the majority of people don't want to have to deal with.

For me personally, (I have just recently switched my primary desktop over to ArchLinux from Win7x64) I like the customization, and Bash is a much more elegant scripting language than Powershell or Batch. Also, its free, and after the first couple of weeks, my workflow efficiency has gone up considerably, so it has been worth the extra time it has taken to get setup properly. (Running enlightenment WM, though considering switching to a 'box' based WM, or going with gnome and heavily modifying it. Also, being able to combine IRC and my messengers into irssi is just amazing, coupled with screen and multiple terminal windows on my second screen.

For me, linux is wonderful, for the general user, unless they have the support of someone who knows what they are doing, linux is not yet ready.

Very cool.

What do you do where Linux has helped improve your efficiency? I love linux and use it on most machines, but I found when I try to focus and get more done, I stumble across another cool program for Linux that I want to test out. lol :D

I didn't take linux seriously until Ubuntu 9.10. I've got it installed on a machine now, and I love it. It is a much more efficient platform than windows could ever hope to be. I just recently started programming for linux, CLI and GTK, and I am finding it much easier to program for linux than to program for windows. Compile my source code with -m32, and I get a 32-bit executable. Compile with -m64, and I've got a 64-bit executable from the same source code without editing. That is slick.

I'm in the process of writing a guide for ppl coming to Ubuntu 9.10 from Windows. I call it the The Concise Lazy Windows Guy's Noob Guide to Ubuntu Linux. It's about 6 pages and is the results of many hours of research. It begins by explaining a few differences, and then it shows you how to set-up linux to replace your windows box without loss of functionality, in easy step by step instructions that anyone could follow.

My next guide will probabily be The Concise Lazy Windows Programmer's Noob Guie to Ubuntu Linux.

Ubuntu 9.10 finally comes close to delivering what has made Windows so popular, an out of the box ready to use operating system. I won't be buying Windows again, and I've been using MS products since 1976. (Heh, even back then we were all glad to dump TRS-DOS for NEWDOS80.) You guys are mostly too young to remember such jewels as EDTASM and interpreted BASIC. :)

I didn't take linux seriously until Ubuntu 9.10. I've got it installed on a machine now, and I love it. It is a much more efficient platform than windows could ever hope to be. I just recently started programming for linux, CLI and GTK, and I am finding it much easier to program for linux than to program for windows. Compile my source code with -m32, and I get a 32-bit executable. Compile with -m64, and I've got a 64-bit executable from the same source code without editing. That is slick.

ANY real compiler does this. Migrating code from 32 to 64 bit has far more to do with the code in question than the compiler.

True, but it was far easier to set it up and make it work. Fewer hoops.

Fewer hoops compared to what? This isn't a big deal with VC++ though I don't write C/C++ much these days. Like I said, it really has to do with the code. If code is written properly it's nothing but the flick of a compiler option in VC+ as well.

I ask simply because I'd like to know if I'm missing something. I've never found many development tools in Linux all that impressive compared to Eclipse (yes I know that runs on Linux but because its multi-platform it's not strictly a Linux development tool) and Visual Studio.

I hear this type of thing a lot but then I see numbers where Windows 7 buy itself in just a month passed ALL deployed versions of OS X using traffic to derive the numbers. So we're going to need Windows skills for a bit at least.

still trolling this thread i see

If it's logical and reasonable its not trolling. ;)

you were trolling because in the post LightningCrash was referring to, you just randomly injected windows yet again into the conversation, when the thread (and the post you quoted, which didn't refer to windows at all) are about people's personal reasons for using linux

not every thread has to include your love of windows and your touch pro 2....

you were trolling because in the post LightningCrash was referring to, you just randomly injected windows yet again into the conversation, when the thread (and the post you quoted, which didn't refer to windows at all) are about people's personal reasons for using linux

not every thread has to include your love of windows and your touch pro 2....

I never mentioned ANY of the things you just did in this last exchange with OldSchoolCoder over 32/64 bit compiling. He said that compiling 64 bit was simply a matter of a compiler flag with Linux dev tools.

I simply pointed out that's the way any real compiler does it and I mentioned VC++ works the same way and that going from 32 to 64 with C/CC++ especially has a lot more to do with the code in question versus the compiler.

Please tell me how this was trolling or where any of the stuff you mentioned (Windows, TP2) EVER came up on this exchange EXCEPT from you.;)

I never mentioned ANY of the things you just did in this last exchange with OldSchoolCoder over 32/64 bit compiling. He said that compiling 64 bit was simply a matter of a compiler flag with Linux dev tools.

I simply pointed out that's the way any real compiler does it and I mentioned VC++ works the same way and that going from 32 to 64 with C/CC++ especially has a lot more to do with the code in question versus the compiler.

Please tell me how this was trolling or where any of the stuff you mentioned (Windows, TP2) EVER came up on this exchange EXCEPT from you.;)

yikes, reading comprehension fail

I use Linux primarily for coding in C. It takes some of the tedium out of having to set up MinGW, Cygwin, Allegro, etc. in Windows.

Very cool.

What do you do where Linux has helped improve your efficiency? I love linux and use it on most machines, but I found when I try to focus and get more done, I stumble across another cool program for Linux that I want to test out. lol :D

Mostly just the scripting I can do with BASH that cant really be done with Batch, at least, not as conveniently. As well as some of the tools able to run natively instead of on Cygwin. Little things that add up. As well as the compiler options being a bit easier to use like OldSchool mentioned. Speeds things up a little bit.

But it's off-topic, so it is.

We get it, you love Windows.

The thing was I wasn't even talking about Windows, I was simply addressing a comment left by OldSchoolCoder and 32/64 bit compiler flags and that what he thought was cool about whatever compiler he was using on Ubuntu wasn't different from any other real compiler and I mentioned that VC++ work the same way. The actual code has far more to do with easily creating 32 and 64 bit executables from the same code base.

How this was trolling or had ANYTHING to do with Windows per se... well some people just want to see what they want to see and not reality I guess.;)

You were directly comparing a Linux compiler option with a compiler ONLY usable in windows, how is that not about windows?

You were directly comparing a Linux compiler option with a compiler ONLY usable in windows, how is that not about windows?

Then pick another compiler. I only mentioned VC++ because that's what I'm most familiar with. EVERYONE keeps missing the point. 32 to 64 portability has far more to do with the code in question than the compiler. And that's got NOTHING to do with any OS.

i like linux here at work for my file server. im a novice user at best. linux just has some things i like that i wish windows had. i dont know if the op ever said which distro he is using.

Then pick another compiler. I only mentioned VC++ because that's what I'm most familiar with. EVERYONE keeps missing the point. 32 to 64 portability has far more to do with the code in question than the compiler. And that's got NOTHING to do with any OS.

So why bring up the fact that your pet compiler is able to do this too? It's completely irrelevant. This is not a Windows v. Linux or gcc v. VC++ thread. A 'me too' post is totally offtopic.

So why bring up the fact that your pet compiler is able to do this too? It's completely irrelevant. This is not a Windows v. Linux or gcc v. VC++ thread. A 'me too' post is totally offtopic.

Please read the posts in question because if you had and aren't simply trying to argue for the sake of argument you'd realize that my point had nothing to do with any particular compiler. OldSchoolCoder made a statement about that 32 to 64 bit portability that I believe was overly simplistic.

I don't care what compiler, what OS, porting a non-trivial app from 32 to 64 usually requires more than a compiler switch unless the code was designed to be portable in the first place.

The thing was I wasn't even talking about Windows, I was simply addressing a comment left by OldSchoolCoder and 32/64 bit compiler flags and that what he thought was cool about whatever compiler he was using on Ubuntu wasn't different from any other real compiler and I mentioned that VC++ work the same way. The actual code has far more to do with easily creating 32 and 64 bit executables from the same code base.

How this was trolling or had ANYTHING to do with Windows per se... well some people just want to see what they want to see and not reality I guess.;)

FFS, you might try actually reading the post I quoted.

lol, like i said before, reading comprehension fail (for heatlesun)

hehe

Not a matter of comprehension just knowing which anti-troll agent was after me!:D

I deleted one of my posts in question to make sure that the Linux threads stay pure. We shouldn't have free and open discussion here, just smart ass remarks!;)

Last edited:
I needed to setup a render farm. Choose Ubuntu server 8.04 for the slave nodes, as it is pretty solid. The master node I chose Debian. I seem to have an easier time working with a GNU distro over a Redhat-style one. I am using DrQueue .64.4, and it's been pretty rock solid so far. I have been throwing some cpu intensive Maya scenes at it, and it's chugging along. The slaves and master are all Dell T5400's with a single 2.5GHZ quad-core Xeon and 4GB of ram.

Cuz it came packaged with a wife. WIN WIN imho. Once I showed her how to use vi back in college and I saw the light in her eyes, she was mine.

So I just installed Linux and was curious why all of you have installed Linux. I am looking for ideas of what to do with my new Linux box :)

I use it for anything anyone would use a O.S. for. My main and only OS is Linux and I don't say that while firing up a virtual session of Windows. It does anything and everything I want. I have a PS3 to play games.

I use it for anything anyone would use a O.S. for. My main and only OS is Linux and I don't say that while firing up a virtual session of Windows. It does anything and everything I want. I have a PS3 to play games.

Well, you are one of the lucky few who can do that. Good for you though. There are just some apps on OS X that I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have. I could move away from Windows, to OS X, but making the jump from OS X to linux, completely (As much as I tried too a couple months ago) would not be nearly as easy.

I use Ubuntu for everything except some Windows-based games and then use XP soley for those games with dual boot. If it wasn't for DirectX in games, I would have no need for anything besides Linux.

I seriously doubt this statement. I know tons of people. I would say 85% of Linuxquestions.org just use Linux only.
I disagree. Linux users, outside of the fan boys, tend to be more pragmatic about their software choices.

Using myself as an example, I love linux BECAUSE it's the best platform for a lot of things I want to do. By that same line of thought, I use windows for what it's best for ( games, client desktops, ect... ).

The main reason I choose linux, is because it is free. There is nothing better than being able to burn a cd of your favorite flavor of linux and install it on as many machines as you feel like without worrying about having a valid product key for each machine you install it on. Another reason I choose linux is to revive some of the legacy hardware I have sitting around the house. There is nothing like loading it on a machine that can't run windows for crap and yet when I put something like ubuntu or linux mint onto it, it feels just as fast as the day I bought the hardware.

Has anyone ever donated to a Linux distribution for their supports? I am just wondering. I know I have donated $10 to both Debian & Arch projects for their time and my love for both distributions. I figured I have been in love with Linux for years and using it for so long, the least I could do is donate something to show appreciation for their hard work and effort.

I try to donate to Debian and (not Linux, but...) pfSense at least once a year. I use them enough and sell them enough that I can't help but support them.

Has anyone ever donated to a Linux distribution for their supports? I am just wondering. I know I have donated $10 to both Debian & Arch projects for their time and my love for both distributions. I figured I have been in love with Linux for years and using it for so long, the least I could do is donate something to show appreciation for their hard work and effort.

never donated to a linux distro, but back in my college days i did submit some patches to help support proper function keys on a wide, wide range of dell laptops in the circa 2004-2005 generation as a student project

does that count?

I bought an OpenBSD tshirt - I think some of that goes back to the devs. Probably not much though, or at least not as much as buying their CDs.

I use a vm for squid and ssh tunneling.

Used as my main desktop os for 8 years, mainly with Slackware. I chose it because I was a developer, so I had time to tinker with all the open source software out there. Now, not so much.

I donated to one of the FreeBSD developers - he wanted to take some months off work to polish the update tools. Seemed like a decent and direct investment. :)

Back