“Why We Need the Power of Intel’s Next-Gen Eight-Core CPUs”

The next generation of consoles will be an 8-core Ryzen design, most likely with SMT. We will see 2.5-3.5GHz speeds, and integration with a HUGE chunk of Navi cores, likely enough to compete with a Vega56, but not nearly as large. The whole thing will be a ~100w chip around about 250-300mm^2. Remember these will be 7nm chips. Regardless of how you feel about GloFo naming schemes, the transistors WILL be half the size of current 'PRO' console chip transistors on 14nm. Whole system power consumption will be less than 200w.

The first 1080p144hz consoles!

Can someone please list here all major PC game titles that use more than 4 cores ... thank you

"Gimme, gotz ta have"

View attachment 92543

There are many titles that put load on more than 4 cores these days. I mean, anything that uses DX12 for one.

The real question is, do any of these games actually BENEFIT from putting load on those additional cores.

Usually CPU loading in games looks something like this:

Core 1: ~85%
Core 2: ~35%
Core 3: ~35%
Core 4: ~5-10%
Core 5: ~5-10%
Core 6: ~5-10%

In this example, those last 3 cores could easily be handled on the first three cores without hitting 100% load... Cache thrashing due to context switching might be slightly worse, but I don't think it would make much of a difference.

So, do they use more than 4 cores? Sure. Does it amount to a hill of beans? No.

Fallout 4
Rainbow 6 Siege
Destiny 2
GTA V

Also keep in mind if you are only at 60hz, your CPU doesn't have to work as hard.

There are many titles that put load on more than 4 cores these days. I mean, anything that uses DX12 for one.

The real question is, do any of these games actually BENEFIT from putting load on those additional cores.

Usually CPU loading in games looks something like this:

Core 1: ~85%
Core 2: ~35%
Core 3: ~35%
Core 4: ~5-10%
Core 5: ~5-10%
Core 6: ~5-10%

In this example, those last 3 cores could easily be handled on the first three cores without hitting 100% load... Cache thrashing due to context switching might be slightly worse, but I don't think it would make much of a difference.

So, do they use more than 4 cores? Sure. Does it amount to a hill of beans? No.

For GTA V

iHyr62B.jpg

61% average load for the FX-8350

The new console from AMD is 4-core 8-thread Zen.

Last edited:
For GTA V

View attachment 93846

61% average load for the FX-8350

The new console from AMD is 4-core 8-thread Zen.

FX is a dog. GTA V needs lots of cores and lots of threads with fast RAM. keep in mind I am only talking about mods that add hundreds of AI on screen. These tests really only do vanilla.

But a 4c8t Zen in a console is perfect for entry 144hz and will finally raise the 30fps cap on many, many games.

FX is a dog. GTA V needs lots of cores and lots of threads with fast RAM. keep in mind I am only talking about mods that add hundreds of AI on screen. These tests really only do vanilla.

But a 4c8t Zen in a console is perfect for entry 144hz and will finally raise the 30fps cap on many, many games.
It depends on where you are testing in the game. Every place I drop below 60 fps in GTA 5 is due to pure IPC and having HT on or OFF makes zero difference. For example if I am in the 50s and lower the res to 720p the framerate stays the same and disabling HT does not make it any worse.

There are MUCH better examples of games that actually need more than 4 cores and in some cases even more than 4 cores / 8 threads such as Watch Dogs 2 and Mafia 3.

Right here you can see drops below 60 fps in both of these games and gpu usage drops as my oced 4770k has all 8 threads pegged.

Watch_Dogs2_2018_06_26_19_33_49_170.png

mafia3_2018_06_02_05_20_48_374.png

It depends on where you are testing in the game. Every place I drop below 60 fps in GTA 5 is due to pure IPC and having HT on or OFF makes zero difference. For example if I am in the 50s and lower the res to 720p the framerate stays the same and disabling HT does not make it any worse.

There are MUCH better examples of games that actually need more than 4 cores and in some cases even more than 4 cores / 8 threads such as Watch Dogs 2 and Mafia 3.

Right here you can see drops below 60 fps in both of these games and gpu usage drops as my oced 4770k has all 8 threads pegged.

View attachment 93897

View attachment 93898
A lot of games do not get much benefit from hyperthreading. A couple of extra, real cores, would probably benefit GTA a lot.
GTA does also enjoy IPC, yeah. The 7700k really seperated itself, as the best 4 core cup for gaming.

A lot of games do not get much benefit from hyperthreading. A couple of extra, real cores, would probably benefit GTA a lot.
GTA does also enjoy IPC, yeah. The 7700k really seperated itself, as the best 4 core cup for gaming.
Actually pretty much every half way modern game benefits from HT when and if the number of cores is the limitation.

Actually pretty much every half way modern game benefits from HT when and if the number of cores is the limitation.
I just checked a bunch of tests and it looks like the 7700k gives gains with hyperthreading----if you have a GPU better than a 1070 and are gaming at 1080p.

with a 1070 or lesser, I saw no benefit at all, in nearly every game. But, a few degrees more heat.

There were very small benefits in a couple of games. Such as Gears of War 4

I just checked a bunch of tests and it looks like the 7700k gives gains with hyperthreading----if you have a GPU better than a 1070 and are gaming at 1080p.

with a 1070 or lesser, I saw no benefit at all, in nearly every game. But, a few degrees more heat.

There were very small benefits in a couple of games. Such as Gears of War 4
Oh good grief. AGAIN if the number of cores is the limitation then yes HT will help. If you take the fastest 4 core/ 8 thread cpu made and use a 1070 or lower then the number of cores will not be a limitation in many cases. That said just 4 cores of the 7700k with HT disabled cannot keep 60 fps in some games. Heck on my older 4770k, HT makes a much bigger difference and many games cant even keep 60 fps with HT off and or will stutter like crazy. HT keeps my cpu viable for all but the most cpu intensive games.

Back