Why use an unlocked smartphone? Read on.

Medion

[H]ard|Gawd
[H] specific note: I'm maintaining this post elsewhere. Most [H] users are savvy enough to do this kind of stuff already. However, this would be a good place to roundup the less tech-savvy as they enter for advice.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is going to be a long post, so I'm just going to put up front WHY you would want to do this, in financial terms, using the example of myself from last year. I chose to purchase an unlocked, non-carrier branded Galaxy S2 from Samsung UK. Here's how that's working out for me (if I weren't on a family plan with my wife). NOTE: In both cases, we're talking AT&T nationwide service. Same service on both phones.

Galaxy S2 GT-i9100 (International)
Phone: $550
450 minutes: $40
unlimited text: $20
unlimited data, unlimited hotspot, no throttling: $10
Total plan: $70x24 months = $1,680
Total cost over 2 years = $2,230

Galaxy S2 Attain SGH-i777 (AT&T)
Phone: $200
450 minutes: $40
unlimited text: $20
4GB data w/hotspot, $10/gig overage: $45 (assuming no overages, which I would have had)
Total plan: $105x24 months = $2,520
Total cost over 2 years = $2,720

It's also worth noting that the unlocked phone requires no contract term or termination fee, while the carrier-branded phone does. So, before I can explain all of the financial benefits (because there are more!), I need to explain two things; first is why phones work this way in different countries, and second is which technology each carrier uses so you know why to target specific carriers.

Why it works this way:

Unlike the United States, the European Union tightly regulates wireless carriers differently. All phones are required to support the sim standard (sim, microsim, nanosim). All phones and carriers will work on the same frequencies, and all phones and carriers will be compatible. So unlike the US, you own your phone, and all you have to do to switch carriers is to swap out your sim with one from a different carrier. You can get your phone subsidized through a carrier, or you can buy it outright from the OEM or through a retailer, a non-carrier branded version, and use it on a cheaper plan. Basically, the subsidy there is like an interest free loan tacked onto your monthly bill.

As most of us know, the US is quite different. If you want to switch carriers, you must pay a termination fee (which gets ridiculous for family plans) and then buy a new phone. However, right underneath our nose, the European model is taking hold for those who are savvy enough to try it, and willing to pay more upfront for the phone and less monthly for the plan.

Carrier Technology:

There are two predominating standards in the world for wireless technology; GSM and CDMA. GSM has led to further technologies such as UMTS, HSPA, and LTE. CDMA has led to EVDO and EVDO rev.B. The majority of the world uses the GSM standard. However, CDMA is very prevalent in the US and Japan, as well as pockets throughout the world. GSM takes advantage of the sim card (hence why Verizon/Sprint LTE phones require one). CDMA uses the ESN, which is not a physical card. For you to be able to swap carriers with YOUR phone, you'll want to target devices that use the GSM standard and sim cards. While you can swap phones between CDMA providers, there are hurdles to get past, limitations on which carriers will take them, and a very limited supply of phones, very few of which are unbranded.

In the US, the vast majority of towers are run by four companies. Sprint and Verizon utilize CDMA, while AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. Almost all carriers within the US either roam on them, lease from them, or are MVNOs (resellers) of service through them. If you're not on one of these four carriers, you're still likely paying them indirectly. The four carriers we'll be targeting are AT&T, T-Mobile, Simple Mobile, and Straight Talk. These are all GSM based and offer some form of benefit to bringing your own device.

Show me the money (the plans): NOTE - links below take you right to the plans page I'm referencing. the T-Mobile plans page is hidden on their site.

AT&T:

Pick your minutes and your text amount for individual and family plans. From there, you'll get the option to pick unlimited data (AKA MediaNet) for either $10 or $15 a month. It's $10 if you have unlimited text, else $15. Here's the caveat. This is meant for non-smartphones and the only reason it works is because AT&T doesn't know what your phone is if they don't sell that exact same model. So no, this won't work with an unlocked iPhone. Also, it won't work if you take the phone into an AT&T store and have them set you up. You have to put the sim in yourself. Cheapest individual plan you can pull off is about $70/mo, while the cheapest 2-line family plan is about $110/mo.

Simple Mobile:

They offer two unlimited smartphone plans at $40 and $50 a month. The $40 plan is unlimited talk/text/data at 2G speeds. The $50 plan bumps your data speed up to 3G/4G (HSPA+, not LTE) for phones that support it. FYI, using more than 3GB/month or 100mb/day can get you in trouble with these guys, as they lease their data from T-Mobile.

Straight Talk (link is funny in Chrome, but it's legit, just click proceed):

Like Simple Mobile, these guys offer an unlimited everything plan. Unlike Simple Mobile, they have some perks. First, it's $45/month for unlimited at 4G speeds (again, HSPA+). Second, they have an option to pay for a whole year at $495, which is $41.25/month. Lastly, you get to choose which network you use (AT&T or T-Mobile). The downside is that you can get in trouble for using more than 2GB/month.

T-Mobile:
With a bring your own device plan, they start at $49.99/month, which gets you 500 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited throttled data (first 2GB at up to 4G speeds). Unlmited minutes is another $10/mo, and truly unlimited data with no throttling is another $10, bringing the total to $69.99 for everything. Technically you're not supposed to tether, but they can't stop you or track you on a phone that isn't T-Mobile branded.

BONUS: T-Mobile/Wal-Mart deal!

You can get this at Wal-Mart or any T-Mobile corporate store. $30/month gets you unlimited text, unlimited data (throttled after 5GB), and 100 minutes of talk time.

This is the thread to ask questions, IE, will "X Phone" work on "Y carrier" and with what limitations. Also, while the latter three carriers expect you to bring your own phone, AT&T's plan is unofficial and requires a little social engineering, as well as making sure that your specific phone model works with Medianet. So, ask questions if unsure.

More info (thanks T4rd):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1455014

Last edited:
FYI: On that T-Mobile/Wal-mart plan, the calling over wifi doesn't save you minutes. You have to get creative with sipdroid or vonage or something to do VOIP without using minutes.

FYI: On that T-Mobile/Wal-mart plan, the calling over wifi doesn't save you minutes. You have to get creative with sipdroid or vonage or something to do VOIP without using minutes.

Fixed, thank you.

so basically saving a little money in return for getting an unsupported phone with no reception and, or paying the same as you would otherwise but paying an additional $500 for a phone

cool

so basically saving a little money in return for getting an unsupported phone with no reception and, or paying the same as you would otherwise but paying an additional $500 for a phone

cool

And when you resell an unlocked international handset...you'll never make up what you spent. That and most unlocked handsets worth having cost a hell of a lot more than their carrier versions are worth.

I certainly wouldn't consider getting a gs2 nowadays be it on carrier or unlocked.

cool

In the example that I provided, at the time of sale, I would have paid an extra $350 for the phone, but save $35/month, which comes out to a savings of $490 over 2 years even with the higher cost of the phone. Also, my phone came with a 2-year manufacturer warranty honored through Expansys USA, and a third year added by my AMEX. Truth is though, when I bought the phone, it didn't have a USA counterpart. We didn't get it over here until about 6 months after Europe. And please elaborate on "no reception."

And when you resell an unlocked international handset...you'll never make up what you spent. That and most unlocked handsets worth having cost a hell of a lot more than their carrier versions are worth.

I certainly wouldn't consider getting a gs2 nowadays be it on carrier or unlocked.

The example was just that, an example. You can apply this to any phone. The point is that the unlocked handset leads to a cheaper plan which will save you money in the long haul, even when you factor in the higher cost of the phone.

Last edited:
I've been wondering: Is it possible to grab the Tmobile/Walmart plan, and then add on the truly unlimited data charge to it?

I've been wondering: Is it possible to grab the Tmobile/Walmart plan, and then add on the truly unlimited data charge to it?

Nope, it's a self contained plan. Granted, there are no overages. It's just 5GB at up to 4G speeds, and then 2G speeds thereafter. The closest that you can get is T-Mobile's bring your own device plan. For one line it's 500 minutes, unlimited text, truly unlimited data, but $59.99/mo. Not as cheap as you're looking for.

Here's a relevant thread with even more info.

The only thing that sucks about MNVO's or prepaid is that there's no roaming or extended coverage for them. Even on the same carrier, the coverage is different for contract and prepaid service. So ultimately you get what you pay for, IMO. But if you live/work in a good coverage area and don't travel around a lot, then it can definitely benefit you a lot.

Here's a relevant thread with even more info.

The only thing that sucks about MNVO's or prepaid is that there's no roaming or extended coverage for them. Even on the same carrier, the coverage is different for contract and prepaid service. So ultimately you get what you pay for, IMO. But if you live/work in a good coverage area and don't travel around a lot, then it can definitely benefit you a lot.

Great thread. They're outdated on the T-Mobile frequency changes, but not a big deal. Also, they push one phone (and admittedly good and affordable one). I'll edit the first post with that link.

These calculations don't always work for everyone. I'm on AT&T and they charge me $50 a month for minutes and data on my smartphone plan. This is the price with the 2 year contract so I also get the phone really cheap. Was only $199 for this iPhone 5. I'm not aware of any off contract plan that includes minutes and data that is cheaper than $50 a month where it would make sense for me to buy an iPhone 5 off contract and pay the $650.

Also when my contract is up they unlock my phone for me and I easily resell it for the price I bought it for. Or at least I just did with my old iPhone 4. So my iPhone 4 for 2 years cost me a total of $1200 on an AT&T contract. It's going to be the same $1200 again for these next 2 years for my iPhone 5 now.

$1.64 a day seems well worth it for how much I use my smartphone and its Internet connection.

Anyone can get it. It's just their AT&T Nation FamilyTalk 700 plan.

It's $70 a month for the first 2 lines and then $10 to add a line. We have 5 lines so it's $100 a month split between 5 people. So $20 a person for the minutes and then each person picks whatever data plan they want. $30 for the old unlimited plan is what I have, but it's still $30 for 3GB so $50 total for a smartphone with 3GB of data now.

And just cause it's called FamilyTalk doesn't mean it has to be for a family. Our 5 lines are me, my sister, my roomate, her roomate, and my cousin. Just get some family/relatives/friends together, consolidate, and start saving. Everybody wins.

Really?? Do you have a link? How do they know what you are using your data for? I was going to get this plan then use Google Voice for my calls. Might have to go with Straight Talk instead.

Anyone can get it. It's just their AT&T Nation FamilyTalk 700 plan.

It's $70 a month for the first 2 lines and then $10 to add a line. We have 5 lines so it's $100 a month split between 5 people. So $20 a person for the minutes and then each person picks whatever data plan they want. $30 for the old unlimited plan is what I have, but it's still $30 for 3GB so $50 total for a smartphone with 3GB of data now.

And just cause it's called FamilyTalk doesn't mean it has to be for a family. Our 5 lines are me, my sister, my roomate, her roomate, and my cousin. Just get some family/relatives/friends together, consolidate, and start saving. Everybody wins.

Ahh, ok. You're on a family plan and dividing the plan up. You also don't have texting, which makes the plan cheaper. The T-Mobile bring your own phone plans can be handled the same way. For 5 lines, unlimited talk (more than your 700 minutes), unlimited texts (more than your zero), and unlimited data on ALL lines is $179.98, or $45/per line. However, you can drop this down to 1000 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data (2GB 4G speeds, then throttled), for $109.98 for 5 lines. That's $22.50/line.

Also, these plans are available today. They don't require grandfathering like your unlimited data plan. So yes, you can still save money going to an unlocked phone. At $50/mo for 24 months, that's $1,200 over 2 years. Add in $200 for a 16GB iPhone, and you're at $1,400. For these plans, at $22.50/mo for 24 months, you're at $540. That leaves you enough to get a 16GB unlocked iPhone, and an iPod touch to go with it :)

I don't have texting cause I don't see a point with a smart phone. I just text via the data connection. Plenty of free solutions.

Yeah that tmobile plan seems great. I also have a global 15% discount added to my family plan cause I'm in charge of it and my work offers that benefit so it's another nice plus.

I don't have texting cause I don't see a point with a smart phone. I just text via the data connection. Plenty of free solutions.

Yeah that tmobile plan seems great. I also have a global 15% discount added to my family plan cause I'm in charge of it and my work offers that benefit so it's another nice plus.

My employer gives me 15% off my current (and soon to be former) AT&T plan, voice only. 12% on text/data. On those TMO plans, I get 15% off the entire thing.

Anyway, your point was that unlocked phones aren't for everyone, and you are absolutely correct. My point is that they can apply to anyone who is willing to pay more up front for a better device, and save in the long run, and like you, I am absolutely right. The question is, how many people are willing to spend that much up front? For a family of 5, we're talking MINIMUM of $2,000 in smartphones! (assuming $400/per, which is pretty cheap and certainly no recent iPhones). Also, coverage can be a concern, as MVNOs don't give carrier roaming like the main carriers do.

There are many valid concerns on why you should or should not consider the option presented by this thread. Only the individual can choose what is best for his or her needs.

Reading this makes me thing that I should have just unlocked my old iPhone 4 and kept using that. :(

I am on a plan by myself, because my parents are too old to really need cell phones and all of my friends are on plans with their parents. So I need an individual plan. I looked at AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, and of those three, none of them offered a plan which met my needs which would have cost less than $90/month. I ended up settling on Virgin mobile for $35/month, and bought a $300 Evo 3D to go with it. So far, I've had no issues with this service, and it's saving me $55/month. Considering contract durations are 2-years, I would have overpaid by $1300 for service if I would have gone with a subsidized phone on a contract from a major carrier.

T-mobile offers a no-contract, unlimited text and unlimited data (throttled after 5 gigs) plan for 4G smartphones for $30/month with 100 minutes (or about $10-20 more for more minutes, but I don't need that), and since this uses GSM, I'll probably end up switching to this at some point so I can get a Nexus 4. Since I'm not on a contract, this is no big deal.

There's a few assumptions being made under your AT&T example that wouldn't necessarily apply to everybody... At any given time they may start strong arming smartphone users out of a $10 data plan that wasn't meant for them. They pretty much made the old unlimited data plans less and less appealing thru throttling and bluff warnings about tethering.

Even if you get away with it indefinitely it still precludes you from LTE which might matter to many (specially as they start giving that network priority and eventually start moving towards VoLTE). I also don't see why you added a $15 tethering fee to the contract plan. Rooting and tethering for free isn't anymore of a TOS violation than using a dumbphone data plan with a smartphone...

Lastly, anyone that pays $200 for a new smartphone on contract these days is either a sucker, very impatient, or an IPhone user. There's SO many deals on quality phones out there, either thru pre orders or because they're dropping in price so damn fast after release. My mother bought an AT&T HTC One X for $50 just three months after it came out. It seems mind boggling but it's basically hype and timing that's driving the price of new phones, and when either fails there vs plenty of deals out there. I've pre ordered all three EVO's for $120, $175, and $120 (and I sold the old ones for more than that).

I do agree with your general thoughts and the purpose of the thread tho. Even if you balk at paying up front for a phone, T-mobile still has some pretty flexible plans and so do Simple/Straight (if you don't use a ton of data) or even Sprint (they've got some of the highest employe/student discounts, 23% here which means $64/month and cheap on contract phones). There's way too many people out there over paying for the two biggest carriers when they barely move around and don't need the extra coverage.

Biggest issue is people just don't do their research really, they just keep paying their bills without a second thought. Sometimes it even works out in favor of the big carriers, everyone's needs are unique.

The shared data plans are loathed by many but for families or people mixing smartphone users with non smartphones it can work out quite nicely. My parents pay basically under $60/line and my mom (the one with the smartphone) gets LTE + enough data for her needs and they both get great coverage while traveling + unlimited minutes/texts (some people still talk on these things, go figure). If she was suddenly using more data she could move up to the 4GB bucket and it'd still be $70/line.

I tried to figure out a combination of single user plan for her plus prepaid for my farther that would be worthwhile and it just wouldn't work out, that AT&T shared plan is decent under the right circumstances.

Last edited:
It seems that when phones are concerned US is way behind Europe. If my contract ends, or I want to terminate it earlier (though I have to pay then termination fee) I can easily switch carriers. It takes about 24 hours, you keep your number, and the new carrier usually has special offer for those who move - more minutes, data, text and such.

Speaking not, that if you buy your own phone, and just buy a plan, you get lots of perks - more minutes, cheaper monthly fee.

Though this round I'm going for prepaid cards. They have now sweet deals, you don't get the subsidied phones, but no monthly fee and you pay for what you call/text.

It seems that when phones are concerned US is way behind Europe. If my contract ends, or I want to terminate it earlier (though I have to pay then termination fee) I can easily switch carriers. It takes about 24 hours, you keep your number, and the new carrier usually has special offer for those who move - more minutes, data, text and such.

Speaking not, that if you buy your own phone, and just buy a plan, you get lots of perks - more minutes, cheaper monthly fee.

Though this round I'm going for prepaid cards. They have now sweet deals, you don't get the subsidied phones, but no monthly fee and you pay for what you call/text.

You know what they say about the grass... Reality is people take a lot of things for granted when comparing the US and EU markets.

First off, switching carriers here works exactly the same as what you've described, the only difference is the competing carrier's offer for porting you number is usually in the way of up front cash rather than plan bonuses. Takes less than a couple hours in most cases even.

Where the US does get the shaft to an extent is that only one of the big 4 carriers offers cheaper plans if you pay full price for a phone... Although the smaller carriers effectively pick up the slack there by doing the same thing (hence this thread). On the other hand the smart customer rarely pays $200 for an on contract phone since they quickly drop in price after release and there's tons of pre order discounts too. So plans are more expensive in general but we tend to pay way less for phones.

Lastly, and most often ignored... How far can you travel thru Europe before getting hit with roaming fees or having to switch SIM/#? Anyone on one of the four major US carriers (and even some regional carriers) can travel from California to New York and Florida to Seattle without ever paying for roaming. No long distance calling charges either for that matter, and many plans offer an embarrassment of minutes thru offers like free calls to all mobile numbers (irrelevant to me but a lot of people still chat up a storm on their mobile phone).

Also, what's going on with LTE deployment over there? I think one carrier just started in the UK? How is roaming even gonna work? It's looking like it's gonna be more of a nightmare than 3G (which will affect the US too once VoLTE starts up). At least two carriers have a good chunk of the US already covered in LTE and a third one's working on it. HSPA+ is fine and dandy but LTE is the future and even if you ignore bandwidth speeds, the lower latency alone can make a big difference for some uses.

Frankly I think many (most?) US customers just bitch too much and don't do their research to take advantage of what's available to them, while also taking much for granted.

Last edited:
@MorgothPl
Yeah and after the contract you can unlock your phone for free. Though nowadays even the subsidized are unlocked. For example I have to pay "only" 480 € for Lumia 920 since it is contract phone but it is exactly the same as retail version, unlocked. I pay it now instead of monthly fees. I don't talk or text much so I have pay by use kind of subscription where monthly fee is less than 1 €. I do have truly unlimited (HSPA+) data on top of that for 10 €, though.

You can usually get carrier branded phones unlocked for free in the US if your account with the carrier is in good standing, though in many cases it's kinda pointless... Switching carriers here isn't any harder, as far as cost/number/etc, but the phones don't often work across all carriers due to the frequency bands they support.

Going between T-Mobile and AT&T is the easiest lately since a lot of phones (like the $300-350 Nexus) will support 3G across both. The two CDMA carriers make it harder but you can flash some Sprint phones to many of the smaller regional carriers (Cricket, Metro PCS, at least until T-Mobile absorbs them). I'm not sure what's the point of switching often enough that equipment cost becomes a concern tho, plan prices don't shift often enough to make that reasonable... Even though a lot of people here still carrier hop like mad chasing after random phones.

Network frequency and tech differences go back to the way networks are built and funded (and even government regulated) in the US vs the EU, which goes back to the big geographical disparity, which goes back to what I mentioned about roaming (or lack thereof) and stuff like LTE deployment. I'm not saying one approach is clearly better than the other, but the market differences go way way deeper than something as relatively simple as plan costs.

I don't think getting into that whole debate was the point of the thread but anyway...

Last edited:
You know what they say about the grass... Reality is people take a lot of things for granted when comparing the US and EU markets.

First off, switching carriers here works exactly the same as what you've described, the only difference is the competing carrier's offer for porting you number is usually in the way of up front cash rather than plan bonuses. Takes less than a couple hours in most cases even.

Where the US does get the shaft to an extent is that only one of the big 4 carriers offers cheaper plans if you pay full price for a phone... Although the smaller carriers effectively pick up the slack there by doing the same thing (hence this thread). On the other hand the smart customer rarely pays $200 for an on contract phone since they quickly drop in price after release and there's tons of pre order discounts too. So plans are more expensive in general but we tend to pay way less for phones.

Lastly, and most often ignored... How far can you travel thru Europe before getting hit with roaming fees or having to switch SIM/#? Anyone on one of the four major US carriers (and even some regional carriers) can travel from California to New York and Florida to Seattle without ever paying for roaming. No long distance calling charges either for that matter, and many plans offer an embarrassment of minutes thru offers like free calls to all mobile numbers (irrelevant to me but a lot of people still chat up a storm on their mobile phone).

Also, what's going on with LTE deployment over there? I think one carrier just started in the UK? How is roaming even gonna work? It's looking like it's gonna be more of a nightmare than 3G (which will affect the US too once VoLTE starts up). At least two carriers have a good chunk of the US already covered in LTE and a third one's working on it. HSPA+ is fine and dandy but LTE is the future and even if you ignore bandwidth speeds, the lower latency alone can make a big difference for some uses.

Frankly I think many (most?) US customers just bitch too much and don't do their research to take advantage of what's available to them, while also taking much for granted.

We have LTE in Poland, it is using same band as UK and other EUropean countries, so it won't be a problem. It's slowly building, but it's aviable in all major cities.

Roaming costs are being lowered by European Comission. The goal is, that in 2014 to equalise costs of abroad and home data transfer and calls. Also, you can buy special roaming plans, that make the price of calls acceptable.

Unlimited calls are also aviable at our carriers, for a decent price - about $30, you can also get cheaper versions of unlimited calls to your carrier numbers.

Of course it's not always green - the level of sustomer support sometimes can be horrible, you often are encouraged to buy a service you don't need and such.

I ran the math similarly here. Even the savings from the phone subsidy and my corporate discount don't get the math anywhere near good enough for the big 3. Nowhere near what I pay via Virgin Mobile's 300 min plan, or even buying a $500 phone and going with Straight Talk or the like, over a couple of years.

What the big 3 does get you is roaming - better coverage - and 4G speeds or whatever (limited availability in my area anyway) - none of which I care about for 2x the price. If I'm out of coverage area for my phone, I'm on vacation with my family or something, and I probably would prefer NOT to be reached. :)

Keep in mind T-mobile isn't an option for a lot of us - I live in the home city of a major Fortune 50 company, but we don't have a T-mobile signal at all. I'd have to drive 10-20 miles on the freeway to a neighboring city to get any sort of coverage. Their coverage is pretty weak, even compared with Virgin Mobile (Sprint towers only).

Depends on the phone... Google obviously sells the Nexus and that's hard to go wrong with. Otherwise Amazon, Newegg, Ebay, used market anywhere.

So where is the best place to buy an unlocked phone?

I apologize for not responding sooner. Expansys-USA is, IMO, the best place to get an unlocked phone. If you order an international device (not an unlocked domestic device with an AT&T/Verizon/etc brand on it), you're getting the model from the UK. Differences?

When I originally purchased my SGS2, I got one from Amazon. It was from Latin America. Firmware was different and not everything was in English. Sure, you can fix this by changing the language settings (if you know how to get there without knowing the stock language). Or, you can load a different country's ROM. However, no international warranty.

With Expansys, you get the UK (English) phone every time. They also honor the warranty for you. Sure, it's slow for them to send it back to the UK for repairs and then return it to you, but it's much better than the alternative. My phone came with a 2 year warranty.

Their prices aren't the best. So go elsewhere for accessories unless you need an official accessory that only they sell. However, getting an unlocked phone from them is worth the price difference, IMO.

Back