Why the hell does Download.com serve malware?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
So I just decided to update my installation of ExtractNow. During the installation, I noticed that it wanted to install some kind of additional BS, so I made sure to uncheck it before continuing. After everything was done, my browsers were hijacked to hell and my Windows Defender went crazy. I ended up doing a System Restore and running MalwareBytes, which detected a number of trojans.

What the fuck? Why and how does Download.com get away with this bullshit?

It's called greed. They 're preying on their once great reputation. I 've abbandoned them long time ago. Go to softpedia from now on, they 're much better at tagging the software and don't include garbage. Major greeks, filehippo, filehorse as auxiliary sources.

My favorite part is all of the ads which mimic the download buttons. Identifying which link to click to get the actual download you want is half the battle.

There's a special level of hell reserved for those people....

It's called greed. They 're preying on their once great reputation. I 've abbandoned them long time ago. Go to softpedia from now on, they 're much better at tagging the software and don't include garbage. Major greeks, filehippo, filehorse as auxiliary sources.

All of this

So I just decided to update my installation of ExtractNow. During the installation, I noticed that it wanted to install some kind of additional BS, so I made sure to uncheck it before continuing. After everything was done, my browsers were hijacked to hell and my Windows Defender went crazy. I ended up doing a System Restore and running MalwareBytes, which detected a number of trojans.

What the fuck? Why and how does Download.com get away with this bullshit?

+1. CNET isn't the only greedy corporation to do this. DivX made 15.7 million during the first nine months of 2008, when they bundled the OpenCandy adware with their product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCandy

I work in the Information Security sector and we had to manually block download.com at the proxy level, because both the proxy provider and our AV wont' categorize this site or the adware itself malicious. What a joke.

+1. CNET isn't the only greedy corporation to do this. DivX made 15.7 million during the first nine months of 2008, when they bundled the OpenCandy adware with their product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCandy

I work in the Information Security sector and we had to manually block download.com at the proxy level, because both the proxy provider and our AV wont' categorize this site or the adware itself malicious. What a joke.

Dev-Host has taken to doing this shit this year as well.

Back