Why The GTA V Petition Won't Speed Up Its PC Release

Why is Rockstar so reluctant to port this to PC? Afraid of people pirating it I suppose?

Anyway... never cared for their games so it doesn't really matter to me, though I hate how gaming developers ignore the PC market because they either think its not profitable or high piracy.

Or maybe they want to work on it and not release a half finished product

exactly!
not hating on RS, just cannot understand why they wouldnt want a bigger market share?
seems simple, but many here just think PC gamers are just complaining and that is not the case.

I know. Us assholes who just want to give Rockstar some money. For shame.

YESS!
im glad to see some common sense about this.

it makes no sense. i say "here take my $60" (like most PC gamers would) and they say, nothing.... and we all speculate on a 8-10 months time line if we even see it!
The PC gaming market was worth around $20 Billion in 2012, im sure they could have taken 5% conservatively = $1 billion. How is that a bad thing?

aiming with a controller makes me feel mentally challenged sometimes, I only use a controller for vehicles on PC, keyboard+mouse or Rockstar can go od on some coke for all I care

YESS!
im glad to see some common sense about this.

it makes no sense. i say "here take my $60" (like most PC gamers would) and they say, nothing.... and we all speculate on a 8-10 months time line if we even see it!
The PC gaming market was worth around $20 Billion in 2012, im sure they could have taken 5% conservatively = $1 billion. How is that a bad thing?

The problem is that PC gamers don't react like you say they do.
They first complain that the price is too high.
Then they'll complain that DX Feature XXX is not included and therefore no worthy of being installed on their amazing system.
Then they'll refuse to buy this one because GTAIV was unoptimized when it released on PC.
Then they'll complain that it's on Steam/Origin and they won't be touching that with a ten foot pole because S/O are so so bad.
Lastly, they will warez it to holy hell and complain about it crashing and attribute that to the game and not the random crack they dl'ed.

So... yea fuck PC Gamers. I can see why Rockstar is dragging their feet on this one. Although, GTAV leaked like 5 days early and still did $800M in sales the first day.

Then they'll complain that DX Feature XXX is not included and therefore no worthy of being installed on their amazing system.
Then they'll refuse to buy this one because GTAIV was unoptimized when it released on PC.
Then they'll complain that it's on Steam/Origin and they won't be touching that with a ten foot pole because S/O are so so bad.
Lastly, they will warez it to holy hell and complain about it crashing and attribute that to the game and not the random crack they dl'ed.

So... yea fuck PC Gamers. I can see why Rockstar is dragging their feet on this one. Although, GTAV leaked like 5 days early and still did $800M in sales the first day.

Yes, because successful CEOs of multibillion dollar corporations have an emotional response to criticism and fanboy ranting.

Like how Diablo 3 had major issues on launch day but has sold something like 18 million copies at this point. PC gamers do react like I say they do. Your focus on a vocal minority isn't proof of anything.

Exactly. I'd rather buy GTA V for PC with as little or no bugs as possible. If it takes RockStar a while longer to work the bugs out then so be it.

Or maybe they want to work on it and not release a half finished product

What are you talking about?

If your primes held any validity, then why would microsoft even bother making another console after the RROD debacle? Or another windows OS? Why would anyone make anything at all based on your analogy?

This is sooooo simple, why are so many people missing the point?

Now yes I was being a bit tongue in cheek but that's the simple point. PC gamers are finicky complaining types. I also prefer to game on my PC, but it's annoying to constantly hear PC gamers complain about every facet of the game while still pounding their chests over their eliteness.

You make money in the best market you can. Business 101. Consoles are a better market. Period. Numbers don't lie. Have of you guys posting here do. But numbers don't. I just believe that the complainers are not the vocal minority but the majority. It's close though.

Fact of the matter is the barrier to entry for pirating a PC version is much, much lower than the technical challenge of opening a console to mod it to play pirated games. And with what's looking like the biggest game release ever, they would've had a legitimate expectation it would also be the most pirated ever, and pirated PC versions could certainly have cannibalized a decent amount of lost console version sales. Basically, on a scale this big I can totally see them having had some concerns.

Or it could have been a combination of that concern plus technical factors

Now yes I was being a bit tongue in cheek but that's the simple point. PC gamers are finicky complaining types. I also prefer to game on my PC, but it's annoying to constantly hear PC gamers complain about every facet of the game while still pounding their chests over their eliteness.

You make money in the best market you can. Business 101. Consoles are a better market. Period. Numbers don't lie. Have of you guys posting here do. But numbers don't. I just believe that the complainers are not the vocal minority but the majority. It's close though.

You're still missing the point that, while the console market is typically a bigger money maker, ignoring a market segment that earns tens of billions of dollars a year doesn't somehow earn you more money.

Costs per unit being the same, you do not earn more money by selling to fewer people. Business 101; you earn money from every market you can effectively sell to.

yes, PC gamers are fickle, see my previous post. but no one is contesting the console markets profitability. Touting about superior graphics makes no sense, if your going to get the game a year later anyway, so that argument is moot.
The PC market is viable, if not there wouldn't be any cross platform games in the first place.
RS doesnt need us, we do not need them, but it doesnt make sense to not expand your product into a market that predicted to grow to over $26 billion by 2016.

You're still missing the point that, while the console market is typically a bigger money maker, ignoring a market segment that earns tens of billions of dollars a year doesn't somehow earn you more money.

Costs per unit being the same, you do not earn more money by selling to fewer people. Business 101; you earn money from every market you can effectively sell to.

Great minds :cool:

You also don't assume costs are the same or just because a market makes xxx billions a year doesn't allow the assumption that YOU"LL make any money in it, to be anything but false hope. I hear people all the time trying to pitch an idea to me. "Bbbb but but, it's a BILLION DOLLAR MARKET!" And half the time, those numbers are made up to begin with.

Ignoring a market does earn you money by playing the same semantics trick you did and saying that money that is not used to enter that market is money that you "earned" or "saved".

Apparently you guys must think that I don't think or want GTAV to come out on PC. That is not the case. I would like it to, but I am fine with my console version atm. The big PC game I am waiting for is BF4. But what I won't be doing is voicing concern that my platform of choice isn't being catered to at this moment of time. I'm really upset that GTAV isn't coming to NextGen or at least announced that it was. Cause I would have just waited to get GTAV. But, life sucks sometimes.

Now yes, if a game does truely suck and nobody wants it then it will drop quickly and go on sale fast. But those aren't the games he talking about.

I'm sorry, I think you haven't played a good game. What is a good game? Who's to say it's a good game? There aren't many games today that are considered good, let alone great. I'll give you some examples.

I played Diablo 2, and that game was freaking awesome. I couldn't stop playing that game forever. So when Diablo 3 was coming out, I was like "SHUTUP AND TAKE MY MONEY"! I spent $60 and played that game for a month, and I forced myself to do so. Cause I was trying to see if there was something I liked. For various reasons the game sucks. On the other hand I got Dark Souls for like $15, expecting the game to suck donkey nuts. Believe me Dark Souls is a crappy PC port, but no denying the game was awesome.

So now I'm more cautious about going out and dumping $60 into a game, which is lot of money for something that often only gives you 2 days of enjoyment. Well technically it's not the first time being butt hurt about a game purchase, and I felt by now I would have been wise enough to avoid such traps, but whatever. Now that I know better, I would have spent $60 for Dark Souls, if they fixed the controls, and $15 for Diablo 3, or actually not having bought Diablo 3 at all.

A lot of new games are just pretty graphics with like no gameplay what so ever. The game practically plays itself, with regenerative health and AI so stupid. But how would you know, cause you play new games that suck donkey balls. Why you think so many people are waiting for HL3? Cause to a lot of people it was like the last great First Person Shooter. If you watched this episode of Egoraptor you'll get why modern games have terrible ways of teaching players how to play. Nothing makes me more mad then to play a game where it starts you off with a tutorial, or a random popup from an NPC that reminds you that hitting the "X" button does something awesome.

To further illustrate how wrong you are in game pricing, is Marvel Vs Capcom 2. Not all games go down in price. If your game was truly good, I mean really good, the price would stay high. Marvel VS Capcom 2 for the Dreamcast is $120. And that's for the Dreamcast, which is considered a failed system. The PS2 version is $200, and the Xbox version is $400. For a guy like me who's had a lot of experience with games, the past 8 years is like a shit storm of bad games. Oh yea sure you'll see a good game here and there, but nothing like Half Life 2 quality or Zelda Ocarina Of Time.

So I can afford to wait for games to go down in price. By then I would have figured out if I wanted the game or not. Bug fixes would have been done to the game. Price would have dropped to what I would consider to be acceptable. So I really don't see why I should pay the exuberant amount of $60. Cause you and some over payed review site says so?

EgoraptorInterview-CV4-620x.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm sorry, I think you haven't played a good game. What is a good game? Who's to say it's a good game? There aren't many games today that are considered good, let alone great. I'll give you some examples.

I played Diablo 2, and that game was freaking awesome. I couldn't stop playing that game forever. So when Diablo 3 was coming out, I was like "SHUTUP AND TAKE MY MONEY"! I spent $60 and played that game for a month, and I forced myself to do so. Cause I was trying to see if there was something I liked. For various reasons the game sucks. On the other hand I got Dark Souls for like $15, expecting the game to suck donkey nuts. Believe me Dark Souls is a crappy PC port, but no denying the game was awesome.

So now I'm more cautious about going out and dumping $60 into a game, which is lot of money for something that often only gives you 2 days of enjoyment. Well technically it's not the first time being butt hurt about a game purchase, and I felt by now I would have been wise enough to avoid such traps, but whatever. Now that I know better, I would have spent $60 for Dark Souls, if they fixed the controls, and $15 for Diablo 3, or actually not having bought Diablo 3 at all.

A lot of new games are just pretty graphics with like no gameplay what so ever. The game practically plays itself, with regenerative health and AI so stupid. But how would you know, cause you play new games that suck donkey balls. Why you think so many people are waiting for HL3? Cause to a lot of people it was like the last great First Person Shooter. If you watched this episode of Egoraptor you'll get why modern games have terrible ways of teaching players how to play. Nothing makes me more mad then to play a game where it starts you off with a tutorial, or a random popup from an NPC that reminds you that hitting the "X" button does something awesome.

To further illustrate how wrong you are in game pricing, is Marvel Vs Capcom 2. Not all games go down in price. If your game was truly good, I mean really good, the price would stay high. Marvel VS Capcom 2 for the Dreamcast is $120. And that's for the Dreamcast, which is considered a failed system. The PS2 version is $200, and the Xbox version is $400. For a guy like me who's had a lot of experience with games, the past 8 years is like a shit storm of bad games. Oh yea sure you'll see a good game here and there, but nothing like Half Life 2 quality or Zelda Ocarina Of Time.

So I can afford to wait for games to go down in price. By then I would have figured out if I wanted the game or not. Bug fixes would have been done to the game. Price would have dropped to what I would consider to be acceptable. So I really don't see why I should pay the exuberant amount of $60. Cause you and some over payed review site says so?

EgoraptorInterview-CV4-620x.jpg

Everyone i've ever seen says that Diablo 3 sucks always just sayd it sucks and can never ever provide any specific details as to why it sucks. As far as I can tell people just don't like it because it dosen't play exactly like World Of Warcraft. You used to play WOW am I right?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Everyone i've ever seen says that Diablo 3 sucks always just sayd it sucks and can never ever provide any specific details as to why it sucks. As far as I can tell people just don't like it because it dosen't play exactly like World Of Warcraft. You used to play WOW am I right?

Did you want an itemized list on why Diablo 3 pissed people off at launch?

Did you want an itemized list on why Diablo 3 pissed people off at launch?

I know at launch there was a ton a performance problems at launch. I didn't realize he was talking about when the game first launched. That makes sense then. Aside from launch problems ive only heard people complain that the game is too hard and it's not enough like WOW.

Well I can say, without a doubt, that if it does ever come to the PC I will not be paying $60, $40, $30 or even $20 for the game. I'll wait until it's in the neighborhood of $10 before I purchase it. They've made me wait this long after the fact, what's it to me to wait longer? That's assuming I even buy it. I just recently bought the other GTA's after they ALL were on sale for something like $10 - $15 and I have yet to play them. Them requiring you to create an account on two different services is fucking retarded.

However, if it was day a one (or even within' the week) PC release, I would have coughed up the $60.

I do not own consoles.

Nah, there are quite a few issues with the game. It's been a bit overblown, but there are still very legitimate balance issues at this point.

I can provide a list, but it should be pretty obvious.

#1 It's freakin Diablo 2 with better graphics. Which you may say "duh it's a sequel", but they put like no imagination into the game. The best part was when you were in heaven, and that was near the end of the game.

#2 Classes lacked in my opinion. Specifically the talent system, which I liked the old talent system from Diablo 2. Now it's too simplified and annoying. Also they didn't have a Paladin to choose from, until of course the new expansion that's coming out.

#3 Items is probably what really killed it. Felt boring to go farm loot, and pointless. I mean what's the point to get better loot if all that drives you is bigger numbers? PvP was what drove me to gear up in Diablo 2, and there was no PvP system when the game was released. There is now, but I stopped playing the game before they could implement it.

#4 Where's the Horadric Cube? This thing had like endless possibilities to enhance and create your own gear.

That's my take at it anyways. I beat the game within a few days, and began the farm fest. I honestly never hit 60, which is what I hear was the real game. I played a barb, but when the game was released barbs sucked. So I needed to be carried and eventually switched characters cause nobody wanted a barb with them.

Dark Souls for example had plenty of reasons to keep playing the game over and over. Besides being a very awesome single player game, the multiplayer is what drove me to beat it again. Cause you just queued with some faction and you waited to be summoned. Then when you were, it was a good old fashion duel fest.

Diablo 3 is a good example of how not to release the game. They clearly didn't do enough testing, and didn't plan to release content that drove players to continue to farm gear. Some classes were broken, and they didn't even have a PvP system when it was released. So there was like no reason to continue beating the game past once. Except for some people that thought they could use Diablo 3 as a source of income. And for a single player game that you can't do offline, it wasn't worth $60.

This is a good example where Blizzard should have let the community get involved and make content.

I like how this man thinks and for recent video games im in the same boat i will wait to play something until a sale or for the all important GOYR Edition with all the DLC and goodies packed in because unlike old school games you dont get a complete game anymore when released. I really want Saints Row 4 but I will wait till its cheap and they release the version with all the goodies on disc. I really dislike how console games have become much like PC now, launch the game and fix later seems to be more the thing now.

I like how this man thinks and for recent video games im in the same boat i will wait to play something until a sale or for the all important GOYR Edition with all the DLC and goodies packed in because unlike old school games you dont get a complete game anymore when released. I really want Saints Row 4 but I will wait till its cheap and they release the version with all the goodies on disc. I really dislike how console games have become much like PC now, launch the game and fix later seems to be more the thing now.

I agree for some games. I wait till the GOYR edition comes out to get it and all the DLC for a lower price. But at the same time, I don't expect game companies to cater to my every desire then. If they wait 2 years to release the GOYR edition after they make as much money off the game that they can from those willing to pay full price I full understand. I am smart enough to realize that they are in the business to make money. That is it. They are going to do what they need to in order to make as much money fast, then they will do whatever is needed to bring in a little more money at a slower rate.

Regardless though of what your reason might be the orginal claim still holds true then. People playing it on the console are willing to pay more money than people playing on the pc. You don't think the game is worth full price, you want to wait to get the version with all DLC, you want to wait till you build a new pc, you want to wait till a sale to get more games for the cost.... it doesn't matter if you aren't buying it day one then you aren't buying it day one.

I am not living in a $200 million house on a private island. doesn't matter what the reason it for me not doing so, it doesn't change the fact that I am not living in one.

wasn't GTA 4 a resource hog and buggy on the PC?...I don't mind the extra wait time if they polish it up this time...I'm used to waiting on PC- Alan Wake, Dark Souls, Gears of War etc

it wasn't incredible, but it was fine, given that it ran like fucking shit on the consoles too.

oh some action is unfolding? marvel as your 360/ps3 starts dipping to under 20 fps. if you had a remotely decent machine at all, the PC version ran considerably better.

Like most of those reading this (who are employed, not still in school, or worse - unemployed), I spend the bulk of my day looking at a computer display.

Fact of the matter is the barrier to entry for pirating a PC version is much, much lower than the technical challenge of opening a console to mod it to play pirated games. And with what's looking like the biggest game release ever, they would've had a legitimate expectation it would also be the most pirated ever, and pirated PC versions could certainly have cannibalized a decent amount of lost console version sales. Basically, on a scale this big I can totally see them having had some concerns.

Or it could have been a combination of that concern plus technical factors

You mean you can't buy any number of pre-modded consoles online? Oh...wait...you can.

If it comes to PC i will get it, if it doesnt I wont. All you have to do is get through the first 2 weeks. After that, no one cares about it anymore and the rest of the wait for the PC version is EZ. Game companies try and get all your money out of you upfront because they know this is how it works.

I skip console games because 90% of the games come out on PC and PC is always the best version. Why buy it for an inferior platform when I am ok waiting for the superior version.

it wasn't incredible, but it was fine, given that it ran like fucking shit on the consoles too.

oh some action is unfolding? marvel as your 360/ps3 starts dipping to under 20 fps. if you had a remotely decent machine at all, the PC version ran considerably better.

its the same with GTA V but with some extra jagged edges on every model thrown in.

If Rockstar wants to polish the PC release into a diamond, they can go right ahead and it'll be totally worth the wait. Really pressuring them to release it sooner is an act of insanity.

Game companies try and get all your money out of you upfront because they know this is how it works.

Derr, no. Think about all the post launch D.L.C. that's being launched daily. Tons of game companies try and continue to get your money long after you've bought the game. So yeah i'm not sure what your on about....

Back