Why so many Corsair 620w PSU's???

yenniedn

2[H]4U
Hello All,

I've been looking through various forums here at [H] and can't help but notice how many people use (and seem to love) the Corsair 620w PSU!

I get that it's modular, which I'd prefer also. But the rest of the specs aren't out of this world - 3x12v rails w/ 18A per.

Why do so many people love this PSU? Fill me in!

Thx!

P.S. I just went from an OCZ 850w GameXStream to a CM Real Power Pro 1000w and kind of regret it (random reboots when system goes into standy/hibernation).

Because the specs are REAL. They're not overrated, they're rated to put their 620w out at a higher temperature (the higher the PSU temp, the lower the power output) where most PSU's are rated for 20-25c (which you'd never see in real life usage).

They have good support and service, reps here on reps here on the board.

And they're damn sexy :)

The number of rails do not mean that much. Also remember that wattage doesn't mean as much these days. What matters most is where those watts are being delivered. For current rigs, it's all about how much amps are on the +12V rail since most PC parts draw their power from there. The more amps you have, the more upgrades (hard drives, video cards, PCI cards, etc) you can add. You determine the amperage on the +12V rails by first finding out what's the total combined or max wattage set aside for the +12V rails/section alone. So for example, the Corsair 620HX has 600W total on the +12V rail. Divide that total wattage for the +12V by 12 and you get how much amps the PSU has on the +12V rail. In this case, 600W divided by 12 is 50A. So the Corsair 620HX PSU has 50A on the +12V Rail. And thats a lot of power for such a relatively moderately priced and decent PSU.

Also check out these reviews:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=32
http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMwMSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

Also, like Arcygenical, the Corsair are rated at 50C whereas many PSUs are rated at 25C or less

Ahhh, both excellent answers - that's why you gotta love [H].

But if you're planning to go SLI 8800gtx's, you'll have to get more power, right?

Ahhh, both excellent answers - that's why you gotta love [H].

But if you're planning to go SLI 8800gtx's, you'll have to get more power, right?

The Corsair 620HX is actually a single rail PSU, just advertised as a multi-rail design in order to meet the newer PSU safety specs.

It'll run it, more than likely, but I'd recommend something more -- something with 4 native PCIe power connectors. The PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad is a popular option -- another 10 amps on the 12v rail, 60 total, and the 4 PCIe power connectors. The Enermax Galaxy series is another fairly popular option. Seasonic also make some higher rated supplies.

I love both of mine and they run great and I have never had a problem with either of them.
And it will run two 8800GTXs but I would get something more powerful such as a Enermax Galaxy 850 or a PC Power and Cooling 750.

I heard both good things about the PC Quad 750 and the 620HX. I got the 620HX, but the PC Quad 750 was my first choice.

Cause they are rebranded Seasonics' with 105 capacitors....pretty much the whole corsair line is rebranded seasonic

everyone loves the 620hx because it's quiet, reliable and actually provides the power it's rated for. I have 3 in my rigs right now and love them.

I've built several rigs with the HX620, and each time, it's powered up the rigs without fail. Each of these systems have shown rock-solid stability.

These weren't cheap, either. We're talking about a system that had dual 8800 GTX video cards in it, as well as another system that had dual 1950 XT's in it.

Furthermore, it's a very versatile power supply, thanks to the modular capabilities.

Finally, it's a quiet running unit, and even when the fan is going at full blast, it's quieter than almost any other power supply out there.

As others have said, but to reiterate here: the 620HX can handle 8800GTXs in SLI at least for a while, but there are better options at that level. You really should have a bit more power, and more native PCIe power connections would be nice as well.

One of the finest PSU's ever made. Good price, top notch in quality, reliability, and performance.

Back