Why Skyrim is Not My Game of the Year

Lol I agree why post what games shouldn't win? Stupid, just say which one should.

On the 360 skyrim kicks ass with uber cool gfx.

Pc.. Battlefield 3!

Theirs my picks for each platform.

Ha!

Duuuuuuuuuude!

Lol I agree why post what games shouldn't win? Stupid, just say which one should.

On the 360 skyrim kicks ass with uber cool gfx.

Pc.. Battlefield 3!

Theirs my picks for each platform.

Ha!

Did you REALLY just choose Skyrim on the XBox360 over the PC version?

Lulz ... just lulz ....

Why does he compare Portal 2 and Dues Ex within Skyrim's context?

No shit, and for the same reason Skyrim doesn't need portal puzzles; it doesn't fit into the goddamn game.
You take it too literally. It's a bit of a metaphor. He's trying to say Portal doesn't need a million side-puzzles to make it great. It's core content stands on its own. And for Skyrim: It needs a 1,000,000 side quests because the core content is just okay.

ashbringer said:
No SKYRIM is GAME OF THE YEAR. Game of the decade possibly.

#1 The graphics or artwork is amazing. I can't tell you how often I just stopped and took a look around. It's a feast for the eyes. This game payed so much attention to detail that nothing is just simply "draw on", like Rage. Too often I see shortcuts where developers just draw a 3D object on a flat surface, and hope we're morons.

#2 It's not a weekend game. This game will take you a long time to finish. Everything is interesting, including side quests. Nothing like World of Warcraft where you just simply run out and kill something. Something Epic is going to happen.

#3 Real replay value. Unlike games like Assassin's Creed, where they just lay features everywhere for you to collect, and call it replay value, Skyrim has a lot of choices for the character. Be melee, or caster. Could be both. The game gives the player literally unlimited freedom. The game literally changes totally. A lot like MegaMan X games where you could play as Zero or X.

#4 An explorable world. I can't express my hatred for the invisible walls I run into in games. Just shear laziness of the developers. I have not found one invisible wall yet in this game. There is no one path to take. It's not linear. Do what you want. Follow whatever quest you want. Do that quest however you like.

Portal 2 comes at a close second, but Skyrim beats it hands down. I personally couldn't care for Dues Ex. Wasn't a good game. Good concept, and interesting story, but the gameplay was limited and linear. I'd put Dues Ex right next to Rage personally, and Rage was a big pile of shit.
L-o-l.

#1: Ok? You like the graphics, that's nice. I think the world can be great looking as a scenery, but the towns are a bit hokey and the models/artwork of creatures kind of generic.

#2: Long /= good. Overall opinion of a game is an average, not a summation. That is to say just because it has 10 hours more content doesn't mean I give it .1 more on my score for it. A great deal of mediocre content comes out to a mediocre game that takes a long time to trudge through. I'd much rather have a few hours of taut, engaging, well thought out and executed excellence than 100 hours of "oh, ok."

#3: Portal 2 is still my #1 for the year, and I haven't replayed it. Replay value is nice to just kill time. Nothing this year has had an experience to top Portal 2 (Haven't played DE:HR). If I want something to kill time in I'll play an MMO where nothing is amazing but there's a lot to do.

#4: Preference I guess. Sandbox games are just that, a sandbox. I need something to do.

Why would you thinnk portal 2 was game of the year :confused: Outdated graphics (skyrim wasn't bleeding edge, but it had a wider pallete than DX8 science corridors and warehouse corridors)...12 minute campain, overly easy gameplay, no replay value, unfunny characters, story you only cared about if you jerk off to half life... It wasn't bad, and was a solid game, probably 8/10, but definately not game of the year.

DE:HR should be disallowed because of the stupid beard (and all the bugs, and crappy boss battles and definately the beard). 1/10 for beard.

DE:HR should be disallowed because of the stupid beard (and all the bugs, and crappy boss battles and definately the beard). 1/10 for beard.

Hey! Beards are awesome you babyface! :D

On article, I agree with its points. Core of Skyrim is rather shallow compared to, for example, DXHR. Latter has much less to do, being only pseudo-openworld game and all, but what is there is pure iron from start to finish. Well, maybe not the actual finish and boss battles are kinda meh but you get the point.

Still, this didnt stop me from sinking 45 hours (and still growing) in Skyrim. Its great to just go out on adventure, and games aesthetics are nothing short of stellar (and homey for a nordic person like me). It is definetly GOTY material, but I havent yet decided if it is the one.

Game of the year has to meet many criterias for me. It has to have a decent playtime, a good story, good gameplay and good graphics. If the game scores higher in most of these on average than it my award.

Portal 2 was too short and so was DXHR compared to the amount of time I have burned in Skyrim, and I played DXHR 3 times through for almost 60 hours of game time. Skyrim just has so much to do and leaves you coming back to finish what you've started. The game is highly addictive if you're a fan of these types of games but I know not everyone is but just the amount of content they managed to pack in this game is incredible.

Story wise I would probably give it to Portal 2 just because I LOVED how it made you think and you kept wanting to learn more about the history of aperture and how it dragged you through a literal timeline of the facility and it's various stages of urban decay and advancement.

DXHR is my winner for gameplay. It's been awhile since I played a game that offered so many different options of accomplishing your task. I loved how I could stealth by every enemy or silent assissanate them. I could go rambo and just shoot everything to hell and back or I could hack turrets and put them under my control to shred apart the enemy. DXHR definitely brought back that oldschool FPS vibe I had been waiting for since 2004 with Half-Life 2.

Graphics I give to Skyrim, those environments are just incredible, well lit and breath taking. I loved the how diverse the areas were. Swampland, forest, mountains, plains it just had everything. The indoor scenes were well lit and added a nice atmosphere with the fog and great decor.

I kind of agree with him, but comparing DXHR to Skyrim just doesn't work. I am enjoying Skyrim a hell of a lot more then I enjoyed DXHR. Shoot, I had a lot more fun with Dead Island then I did DXHR. Why isn't Dead Island on the list for GOTY? Out of all the games that I have purchased this year (DXHR, Dead Island, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Rage, Witcher 2, Shogun 2, and FEAR3), most of my time has been spent on Skyrim and Dead Island. So for fun factor those two definitely are my top picks (even if they do have their flaws), although I still spend more time on Borderlands than I do on either of those.

Portal 2...I might pick up after the next in the Half Life series comes out....if it ever comes out.

Why does he compare Portal 2 and Dues Ex within Skyrim's context?

No shit, and for the same reason Skyrim doesn't need portal puzzles; it doesn't fit into the goddamn game.

Then he goes on to give DX:HR so much credit for its "interesting implications about morality and technology." Oh you mean the abrupt decision you make at the end of the game that triggers a 30 second video then rolls credits? The decision that renders all preceding decisions/actions moot? Oh yeah, what a profound bullet point. [/sarcasm]

How about stealth? "Deus Ex, when played from a stealth perspective, has a level of complexity that far exceeds that of Skyrim’s sneaking play style." Waitaminute, now he's comparing one of many playing styles in Skyrim to one of two playing styles for DX:HR? Hm.. you can unlock the invisibility augmentation very early on, then one-shot everyone in the entire game. You call that complex? Yes, I played on the hardest difficulty.

All I know is that I'm still playing Skyrim 100 hours later, and I'm not replaying DX or Portal 2.
This is largely my thought.

DXHR was an incredibly easy game to play with a non-sensical story riddled with plot holes. Perhaps it could've been salvaged with better balancing (aka no explosive revolver or armor piercing pistol) and a half decent AI, but the stealth was the most disappointing part of the game for me and finding alternate routes was an absolute joke. The vents are always exactly where you expect them to be, and they all perfectly avoid the single obstacle in front of you. Money and praxis points are never a limitation and augments are either obviously useful or worthless, and there's very little choice involved since you're getting them all eventually.

It wasn't a bad game, but it felt like an 8/10 at best. Skyrim might be overrated, but not as much as DXHR was. Witcher 2 (after patching) would be my pick.

But meh, video game "journalists" are a joke anyways. Most of them don't actually finish the games they're reviewing and they're prone to bandwagoning on whatever's hot at the moment. If Skyrim had been released Q1, I guarantee the number of votes it got would be lower.

I think this "Game of the Year" stuff is nonsense. That's like having a discussion each year which game is the best. No one is going to agree and no one needs to. The best game of a time period is only relative to the user thinking about it. What I may think is a good game, some others might trash and visa versa. Who's right? Both are right. This website is an example. I'm astounded sometimes the games it trashes that I think are really good. I certainly wouldn't agree with it's nomination of game of the year but that's ok. I just don't get caught up in this stuff. Skyrim? Don't use, don't care for it. Somebody want to make it game of the year? No problem with me either way. My problem would be when some proclaim that only them know which games are good and which ones are not and tell everyone else they full of it if they disagree.

Back