Why not Dell 8400?

Fark_Maniac said:
There's an option over looked. Where I just recently worked (I graduated), we used "IBM-Clones". We would buy intel motherboards and nvidia video card based pre-assembled machines from either Mwave.com or Ace Computers (based out of chicago). About the only things that changed over time were processor speeds (does not affect ghost images) and chipsets. We overcame the last one by having an image for each chipset. I was at the university department and we only had 5 chipsets (440bx, 815, 845, and 865). When we put out a bid for a batch of computers, we'd specify our latest supported chipset. This was not a problem supporting 500+ machines in this manner with 1 full time 'boss-man' and 5 part time students (though 2 were useless).


...but this is a far digression from the OP's topic

You wanna talk about pre-builts of poor quality. it's Ace Computers to bash. :) A company I used to work for used their systems before switching to HP workstations and I'll tell ya, I never had so much trouble with a brand of computers -- ranging from cheapo cases (We're talking the kind with paper-thin sheet metal with sharp anti-appendage corners) to other poorly-chosen parts. Mostly, it's the cases I didn't like, and this was back in 2003 so they may have changed (I think they went out of business then, actually). But yeah, just thought I'd share my experiences with them since I was right down the road from them.

I just made a post about my opinions on Dell and decided "Hey, I oughta read the rest of the thread." So I did and had a couble of laughs. :) I feel your pain Fragalot, and Dells are typically spotted in shops, but I've consistently dealt with wonderful Optiplexes. One of the reasons you see a lot of Dells is well, a lot of people have them! :)
 
hehe, i work on Dell's all day. Macs too. I remember when the Dell rep came in and "wowed" everyone with their new foldable case. I grabbed my Mac G4 tower and unfolded it and said "that looks familiar!" lol. Anyways, I'll sum it up this way:

My one gripe about Dell is their Optiplex line has shit tastic airflow, even with the plastic ducting they use. While this shouldn't be too much of an issue for a home user so long as you give room for exhaust, in school systems where the placement of the units is at a premium, I've seen unusually high amounts of HD failure in all ranges of Optiplex lines...even new HDs in older cases (I am network, I for one sure as hell ain't gonna turn the leaf blowers on them every month to blast out the dust).

Now, I am not sure about the newer Dimension lines, but I guarentee you they do not always use premium parts. If a manufacturer can send in a low bid by lopping off capacitors and/or connectors, that part will go into the Dell systems....that's why you get odd ball designs for Graphics cards etc. I once had a Dell system that had a network card in it from some retarded Russian company. Getting the driver for that bitch was a lesson in frustration. That's why if you get a top of the line Optiplex and it has ONE Sata connector you got it for so cheap. My personal taste is I would prefer to build my own box, but I do have my old Dell monitors which still work well (and the newer 2005FPW which I love :D ) Its a good computer all in all for anyone whoe does not want to bother with building their own, and if you get them ass cheap, you can always heave it in the trash every three years or so and just buy a new box when you feel the need.

As for manufacturing and prebuilt systems, horror stories go both ways. Lots of people who build there own can tell you all about the time you got a good deal on an aftermarket part and it didn't work and you had to jump through hoops just to get that part refunded, RMA'd, shipping nightmares, etc. You WILL get a lemon once in awhile, whether its from Dell or a part you bought off the Egg. Hell, I've seen Macs that are Lemons once in awhile. It happens. Customer service is what picks up the slack here, and Dell's are pretty good, as are Apple's and even the Egg. But it gets frustrating when you build yourself up and you get it D.O.A. and have to send it back without even enjoying it for a split second. Dell is a good computer, but I prefer more flexibility myself.

I liken it to this: there are plenty of people who want to tweak and work on cars whereas I just want one that does what I want and goes. Same goes for comps, most people would rather have some sort of reliability with that prebuilt one rather then invest the time to build and mod their own. Only difference is, when my comp breaks down, i don't have to worry about being stuck on a deserted highway in the middle of the night with no cell service and no fridge. If my car does I can raise holy hell and be a complaining bastard to the mechanics, the way some/most people are to us IT pros :D
 
Nasty_Savage said:
Anyways, I'll sum it up this way:

My one gripe about Dell is their Optiplex line has shit tastic airflow, even with the plastic ducting they use.
Generalization is generally bad. :p

I love the airflow in my Optiplex GX280.
 
I think he was on about the smaller Optiplexes (got a GX270SFF here, been putting out 280s lately, they've been much the same since the 150).

The airflow isn't too bad though. Psu is straight out the back, and the cpu is sent straight out via a duct. Nothing else makes a lot of heat in the case, and there's plenty of grill space on the back. And they're hella quiet.
 
ColinR said:
I think he was on about the smaller Optiplexes (got a GX270SFF here, been putting out 280s lately, they've been much the same since the 150).
I also have one of the Optiplex GX280 "desktop" (really a slim tower, 4.25" wide) BTX systems. The BTX Optiplex models have much different cooling than the ATX Optiplex GX280 models.

Again, generalization is generally bad. :p :p
 
I wasn't talking about the ATX or BTX version! I was referring to what I'd come across (the SFF and the medium FF ones if we say the A/BTX ones are large). That was what I assumed NS was on about as the airflow isn't exactly "enthusiast spec" in the Optiplexes here. But then again, I'm in a room with about 80 of them, and the only thing I hear is the air con. Even *trying* to hear my 270, I can't.
 
Back
Top