Why is there so much hype around latest Fermi vid?

FerraraZ

Gawd
Here I was thinking Nvidia was going to release their answer to ATI's HD 5xxx series. GTX 480 is comparable to a 5870.............what about the 5970. Why is there so much hype over a card that achieves performance similar to a card that has been out for months.

I want to say I'm not flaming Nvidia or starting ati vs nvidia thread, but I want to know why people act as though the 5970 doesn't exist and that its not faster than Nvidia latest offering which hasn't even shipped.

Brings me to another point, when the Fermi does come, whats not saying that ATI cards dont drop in price thus not only taking the top performance vga crown but also the best bang for buck.

price drops inc. I was also under the impression that ATi had refreshes at the ready waiting for fermi.

because they can't see the facts when they got nVidia's nutsac in their mouth....... Same crap happened when the FX series of cards came out and ATi was beating the snot out of nVidia using their own benchmark running via wrapper.

Even if 480 is faster 5870 runs cooler and less power which means more room for overclock. So I think performance will be about same. Pricewise Nvidia cant beat Ati.
Also I dont understand this hype about fermi. ATI released simliar performance 5870 months ago when fermi is not even released yet.

Here I was thinking Nvidia was going to release their answer to ATI's HD 5xxx series. GTX 480 is comparable to a 5870.............what about the 5970. Why is there so much hype over a card that achieves performance similar to a card that has been out for months.

I want to say I'm not flaming Nvidia or starting ati vs nvidia thread, but I want to know why people act as though the 5970 doesn't exist and that its not faster than Nvidia latest offering which hasn't even shipped.

Brings me to another point, when the Fermi does come, whats not saying that ATI cards dont drop in price thus not only taking the top performance vga crown but also the best bang for buck.

Because multi-gpu technology (on both sides) has inherent issues, and many enthusiasts who know better stick with single GPUs. They (and I) want the fastest single GPU available to avoid said issues/shortcomings of SLI/Crossfire.

Not to mention that if you have the fastest single gpu, that means you can typically double them up and also have the fastest double GPU.. the single chip is the foundation for that. So even if you want the fastest multi-gpu board, you'll be able to get one I'm sure.

No one actually knows what the performance is yet, everything is just rumor so far.

Okay, show me links to a 3rd party website like Hardocp or Anandtech that has done a review of the new cards.

Oh wait

My point is that the rumored performance is just that, rumored. It may be correct or it may not, we need reputable sources to check it out.

Because multi-gpu technology (on both sides) has inherent issues, and many enthusiasts who know better stick with single GPUs. They (and I) want the fastest single GPU available to avoid said issues/shortcomings of SLI/Crossfire.

Not to mention that if you have the fastest single gpu, that means you can typically double them up and also have the fastest double GPU.. the single chip is the foundation for that. So even if you want the fastest multi-gpu board, you'll be able to get one I'm sure.

LOL many enthusiasts who know better? I've always opted to keep single GPU setups, except for the 5970, which I have had 0 problems with other than the latest drivers and win 7. Every single game I play I play @ full details @ 2560x1600 smoothly with no jitter/stutter
keep your propaganda to yourself

the only time it's better to get a single GPU over dual GPUS, is
a) if more than fits your needs
b) it's faster then the comparable multi-gpu setup

They are the only reliable way. Or do you believe nVidias marketing slides more than Kyle or Anand?

I have an xfx 5870. Although the price is great, id be willing to upgrade to a 480 just to get decent drivers. I hate CCC.

LOL many enthusiasts who know better? I've always opted to keep single GPU setups, except for the 5970, which I have had 0 problems with other than the latest drivers and win 7. Every single game I play I play @ full details @ 2560x1600 smoothly with no jitter/stutter
keep your propaganda to yourself

the only time it's better to get a single GPU over dual GPUS, is
a) if more than fits your needs
b) it's faster then the comparable multi-gpu setup

Propaganda? What? I'm talking about the often publicized microstutter which can show up when GPU-bound. I'm talking about the dependence on updating drivers every month just to get the product to perform as advertised (SLI/Crossfire profiles). I'm talking about the fact that the very nature of SLI/Crossfire profiles and SLI/Crossfire technology being more complex, you're going to run into more problems on average. I'm talking about lower priority on bug fixes (single GPU problems affect WAYYYYYYYYYY more people and therefore have higher priority in getting fixed).

Do you think I care if you buy a multi-GPU setup or not? Do I benefit one way or the other? No. I'm just trying to be honest instead of skimming over technology shortcomings (which you seem rather content in doing).

They are the only reliable way. Or do you believe nVidias marketing slides more than Kyle or Anand?

Have you ever considered that some people on these forums work in the gaming industry and already know? It's less than a month from the ship date.. you can safely assume a lot of people have seen them in action.

Propaganda? What? I'm talking about the often publicized microstutter which can show up when GPU-bound. I'm talking about the dependence on updating drivers every month just to get the product to perform as advertised (SLI/Crossfire profiles). I'm talking about the fact that the very nature of SLI/Crossfire profiles and SLI/Crossfire technology being more complex, you're going to run into more problems on average. I'm talking about lower priority on bug fixes (single GPU problems affect WAYYYYYYYYYY more people and therefore have higher priority in getting fixed).

Do you think I care if you buy a multi-GPU setup or not? Do I benefit one way or the other? No. I'm just trying to be honest instead of skimming over technology shortcomings (which you seem rather content in doing).

Ummm if a game is "gpu bound" then you'll also get single gpu stutter, it's called low fps in that case ;P I haven't run into microstutter yet. The only reason you're trying to disqualify multi-gpu setups, is because NV won't be able to compete with a single multi-gpu part. I bet when it was 1950XTX vs 7950GX2 you were all about multi-gpu

Reviews aren't the only way to know performance.

Let's just say until someone can demonstrate performance from a video card they obtained through normal retail channels, then the performance of that card has not been verified in a satisfactory manner for the majority of GPU consumers.

Until tests are done in a normal production environment with the same product available to consumers, any numbers should be met with a degree of skepticism.

I for one, hope Fermi kicks so much butt it makes me want to go drive to whatever dark warehouse has one and beg on my knees to pay for it. From what we know so far, that ain't happening. I would love to be surprised.

Ummm if a game is "gpu bound" then you'll also get single gpu stutter, it's called low fps in that case ;P I haven't run into microstutter yet. The only reason you're trying to disqualify multi-gpu setups, is because NV won't be able to compete with a single multi-gpu part. I bet when it was 1950XTX vs 7950GX2 you were all about multi-gpu

Not at all.. I don't like multi-gpu for the reasons I've stated. Stop trying to paint everything into some fanboy war. It has nothing to do with NVIDIA or ATI.. I think single GPU is the way to go. Period. Even if NVIDIA offers one that is 5 times faster somehow, I don't care. I don't like it, and I know many others who don't either.

And I'd rather have low FPS than a reported high FPS with the feel of a low FPS. Think about that. I'm not into high framerates for the sake of e-peen ;)

Let's just say until someone can demonstrate performance from a video card they obtained through normal retail channels, then the performance of that card has not been verified in a satisfactory manner for the majority of GPU consumers.

Until tests are done in a normal production environment with the same product available to consumers, any numbers should be met with a degree of skepticism.

I for one, hope Fermi kicks so much butt it makes me want to go drive to whatever dark warehouse has one and beg on my knees to pay for it. From what we know so far, that ain't happening. I would love to be surprised.

But you saw from the video, just running that Nvidia made benchmark all the card could get at most was 60 fps.

But you saw from the video, just running that Nvidia made benchmark all the card could get at most was 60 fps.

2 ways to look at that:
1) card is weak
2) benchmark was made as hard as possible so it could look good while still achieving 60fps.

^^ This

Maybe you don't...:p

Have you ever considered that some people on these forums work in the gaming industry and already know? It's less than a month from the ship date.. you can safely assume a lot of people have seen them in action.

Nobody is going to take you seriously with that kind of 'nod and wink' nonsense. If you're going to put your professional reputation on the line and leak some benchmarks then I'm sure people would welcome the information.

TL : DR = Put up or shut up.

Nobody is going to take you seriously with that kind of 'nod and wink' nonsense. If you're going to put your professional reputation on the line and leak some benchmarks then I'm sure people would welcome the information.

TL : DR = Put up or shut up.

Why risk your job to to prove something to someone you don't even know on an internet forum?

Fermi bashings without any source to prove anything are getting out of hand.

price drops inc. I was also under the impression that ATi had refreshes at the ready waiting for fermi.
AMD already lowered their prices, that price drop is called the Radeon HD5830. The Fermi paper launch will have no effect on prices for the rest of AMD's line. You will have to wait at least 4-6 months until Nvidia has enough supply in the market to exert some pressure at retail and e-tail. But, this will only happen if (that's a huge if by the way) performance and price are competitive with what AMD is already delivering. Otherwise expect prices to remain at current levels.

Exactly. Hence the only option left is the 'shut up' part. ;)

No thanks kid. I'm free to post here like anyone else. I appreciate your concern though.

And I never said anything or nod and winked.. I simply said some people on any forums are undoubtedly game devs, qa people, hardware people, etc. who work in the game industry and know the performance. Reviewers are not the first people to see cards. So simply take this into consideration when reading forums a month before a card comes out.

Dude...I dont know what system you are running but I am currently under Crossfired 4890 1GB cards...no micro stutter and NO problem playing ANY game that I have...and I literally have over 90 games installed right now spanning from the latest and greatest to oldies and goldies...were talking Quake 2 and Unreal here...no problems with ANY game Ive ever played.

Maybe its the drivers? Maybe its the cards (4890s are known to scale EXTREMELY well)? Or maybe your information is just old...I havent read of anyone lately having micro-stutter issues...only time the topic comes up is when single GPU users, like yourself, bring it up to try and show why SLI/Xfire sucks...when its completely the opposite.

Fermi? HAH! OK...comparing SINGLE GPU cards Fermi MIGHT have slight upper hand to the 5870...when comparing PRICE WISE the 5890 (which you know the GTX480 and 5890 will be comparatively price) then ATi is STILL number one! Id love to see a dual GPU card based on the new chip...what, 600watts and 200C temps? LOL! Just kidding of course...

I created the recent thread about the GTX 480 video, and I did so because I thought it was interesting that there was a plausible video about it. It didn't seem to stomp the 5870, but it did pick up in tessellation, which is something I'm interested in. I'm not absolutely devoted to nvidia though. Sure, I do really like the effect that 3d vision gives, but I'm just as interested in the possibility of a 5890 coming out at the 480's release as I am about the 480 itself.

Like I said, for me it was just interesting.

OP how long have you been around?
There is always hype about new video cards.
Also for the record, what you say about Nvida people ignoring the 5970, dont forget that when ATI launched its new single card, it was still beaten by the gtx295 in most games so I do not see your point.
In any case, Nvidia offer things that ATI does not so that is one VERY good reason in my book

I simply said some people on any forums are undoubtedly game devs, qa people, hardware people, etc. who work in the game industry and know the performance. Reviewers are not the first people to see cards. So simply take this into consideration when reading forums a month before a card comes out.

And held by an NDA

No thanks kid. I'm free to post here like anyone else. I appreciate your concern though.

And I never said anything or nod and winked.. I simply said some people on any forums are undoubtedly game devs, qa people, hardware people, etc. who work in the game industry and know the performance. Reviewers are not the first people to see cards. So simply take this into consideration when reading forums a month before a card comes out.

Well simply take into consideration that none of us give a shit who or what you are. If you won't/can't provide information we don't already have, what's the point of "Oh, it's gonna be good..wink wink nudge nudge". Nobody cares if you're "in the know".

Well simply take into consideration that none of us give a shit who or what you are. If you won't/can't provide information we don't already have, what's the point of "Oh, it's gonna be good..wink wink nudge nudge". Nobody cares if you're "in the know".

^^^ this

So many people "in the know" end up being shills on forums, that I just tune em out

The ones who really know don't say it in such ways

Back