Why is the HX1000 upside down in the Antec 1200?

[H]adouken

[H]ard|Gawd
On overclock.net I noticed everyone posting pics of their Antec 1200 had their HX1000 upside down, why is this? I would like to put it in the regular orientation with the fan on bottom, but I believe something about the Antec 1200 not being raised off the ground enough?

001.jpg

http://www.overclock.net/5085155-post102.html

[H]adouken;1033654172 said:
On overclock.net I noticed everyone posting pics of their Antec 1200 had their HX1000 upside down, why is this? I would like to put it in the regular orientation with the fan on bottom, but I believe something about the Antec 1200 not being raised off the ground enough?

If you look at the bottom of the Antec 1200, you'll see that there isn't an opening or grill or sorts on the bottom to let air to be drawn in from the bottom of the case. In addition, the PSU mount is not high enough for the PSU to get enough air from inside the case with the PSU fan "facing" down. Thats why the PSUs are upside down.

Problem is with that orientation it's going to be sucking in hot air won't it!? From the base it will be taking in cool carpet air lol.

=/

[H]adouken;1033654206 said:
Problem is with that orientation it's going to be sucking in hot air won't it!? From the base it will be taking in cool carpet air lol.

=/

Psu's are designed to be able handle hot air, especially a good one like the Corsair. The ATX spec, which is what cases and psu's are designed to, has the psu taking in hot air from the case and expelling it out the back. A majority of cases have the psu at the top of the case and it has only been recently where manufacturers are putting psu's on the bottom or in a separate chamber. Either way, any psu worth it's penny can handle hot air going through it. Plus, hot air rises so most of the hot air will be exhausted out the top. I'm guessing people would rather have whatever hot air going through their psu than sucking up dust from the carpet.

[H]adouken;1033654444 said:
Hmm, RAM GUY @ Corsair Forums say:

"That should be fine, we normally install the units with the fan facing down, unless the PSU sits flush against the bottom of the case. "

http://houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74761&highlight=hx1000+antec+1200

Everyone else seems to be recommending the opposite though, argh.

Either way will work. It's really personal preference. The HX1000 is rated at 50C, which is going to be significantly hotter than the inside of your case is likely to get.

The only time I recommend against putting the fan facing downwards is when there's no room (ie - Antec 900) between the fan and the bottom of the case, or there's no way for the PSU to get fresh air.

The 1200 gives it a bit of room, so you can place it that way if you'd like.

I put my HX620 with the fan facing up. The Twelve Hundred has three intake fans, and I only have hard drives in the first bay.

That's how it says to install it in the Antec manual.

In the Corsair manual it just says to read the case mfg's manual for installation instructions.

The only thing I worry about with that is screws falling into the PSU unit when changing out things on the mobo. I almost always drop at least one screw. :(

The only thing I worry about with that is screws falling into the PSU unit when changing out things on the mobo. I almost always drop at least one screw. :(

I've done this before too - a good way to prevent it is to put a CD over the fan grill of the PSU while doing it. If you're like me, you have tons of driver CDs for things you're installing laying around and none of them are going to get used because you're going to download the newer drivers from the website anyway.

I have an Antec P182, another PSU-at-the-bottom case, and run my HX620 the normal way up with no ill effects - in fact, the fan barely spins up most of the time, and the exhaust is only slightly warm. There's an inch or so of space below the fan, and not much more above it (due to the dual-chambered design). If there's at least as much space in the 1200 I would imagine it would be fine. If it's flush with the bottom of the case then obviously it would be bad.

I measure about 8mm or 5/16" clearance on my Antec 1200. I bought a PCP&C 750 with a rear fan because I knew I'd drop a screw in it, too.

Back