Why is my Q6600 at 1600MHz?

oymd

Weaksauce
Aloha everyone....

Just built a new rig a few hours ago....

A Q6600 on a Gigabyte EP-P35-DS3L...with 2x2GB of A-Data 800 MHz ram and a 8800GT.

GPU-Z shows the clocks on the 8800 fine...but CPU-Z shows the processor at 1600MHz with a 6x multiplier and 266 bus speed with a FSB of 1066...?

Why is that ?

Shouldn't the multiplier be at 9?....9x 266= 2.4GHz?

When I did the initial setup and intalled the operating system..the only changes i did in the bios is fixing the time and the boot prority to CDROM...I never saw any settings for the processor?

NewPicture1-1.jpg

NewPicture.jpg

Thanks...

It might be speedstep in the bios that underclocks the cpu to save power when not in much use. Try running orthos or something that should bring up the cpu usage then u will know its speedstep for sure.

That's Intel's SpeedStep in action. It downclocks your CPU when you don't need too much CPU power. When you actually do something CPU intensive, it'll go back to 2.4Ghz.

I just downloaded Prime95...its always at 1.6GHz...maybe 1 or 2 seconds every now and then goes to 2.4GHz......mmm.....i see....

Its saving you money at no expense to performance... don't worry bout it bruddah.

i also noticed in CPU-Z that the revision is C0....and when checking some reviews...it noticed that there are other revisions...B3 i guess...

Is the C0 really cooler?

i also noticed in CPU-Z that the revision is C0....and when checking some reviews...it noticed that there are other revisions...B3 i guess...

Is the C0 really cooler?

Its G0 not C0, i don't know if the G0 runs cooler but they do over clock better.

Yes, G0 revisions run cooler than B3 revisions because they require less voltage.

Again, no need to turn off SpeedStep (EIST) unless its causing you problems. There's virtually no performance loss with it enabled, and it even saves you money.

Except, as people keep saying, there's no need to disable it unless it's causing problems. Leave it be, it's not slowing down the computer (since it ramps back up under load) and it's saving a little power and heat for "free".

It seems you are worried that it doesn't stick to 2.4 GHz even under heavy load?
I would suggest you run some popular CPU benchmark and compare it against results in reviews of the Q6600 online.
If your scores are about the same as theirs, there's no need to turn off Speedstep.
If they're lower, then Speedstep doesn't work properly for you, and you can choose to turn it off (it could also be that your power profile in Windows is set to something weird? Eg laptops generally don't go to full CPU power at all when running on a battery).

Back