Why I Walked Out On Apple

Corporations do not give two weeks notice before laying you off so why should a worker give a two weeks notice before quitting?

Stop being sheep and licking the boots of Corporate Amerika.

lol because having Apple Inc on your resume automatically makes you an attractive candidate at another company and would certainly make you stand out against your competition. It has nothing to do with 'licking the boots' as you say. It's giving himself a leg up in the future (which he clearly blew).

You're missing an important part of the story. From the article:

"They offered me a contract position"

and

"The third party company that contracted me"

He was not an Apple employee, he was a contractor. Every company has their share of bosses who are jerks, however it is much worse when you aren't a real employee, because the jerk boss knows he can get away with just about anything (that isn't too blatantly illegal) and you have no choice but either put up with it or leave.

He couldn't "complain to HR", or anyone else, because technically he didn't actually work for Apple. He worked for some thrid-party contracting company. Apple pays the contracting company who pays the guy. Make any waves and suddenly, your contract is cancelled. This is a scam that is used by a lot of the tech companies.

He could have at the very least covered his ass by filing a complaint with the Apple HR department or his recruiter prior to leaving. If his plan was to leave all along why not do everything in his power to shine a light on his experience? At the very least he could go into his next interview and walk his potential employer through all the steps he took to rectify things at Apple.

Just walking out is spineless. At least tell your boss to his face how you feel.

Last year, I took a contact IT position at a supermassive financial services company. At first glance, despite it being a contract position, looked very promising, and having this company on your resume is literally fucking awesome.

Five months into the job, I ended up qutting due to my completely outrageous and obnoxious boss. I won't go into details, but she was horrific. I went to my recruiting agency and told them about the situation at the site, to which they replied "just do your job as best as you can until they make you fulltime".

That sealed the deal. I put out my resume and in two weeks landed another job, gave them four days notice.

The way this guy went about it wasn't the best, but I least I feel better knowing I didn't jeopardize this relationship with this agency (even if they didn't give a shit about me) - but it did feel good leaving them with the absolute fuckload of work I hadn't finished at that site.

If you don't enjoy your job and are abused and feel it's mentally draining, don't stay for any reason unless you literally can't quit. It'll break a person down to pieces.

Bad bosses are in EVERY company.
There are people that once they get in a position of power over other people they get their jollies by insulting and putting the screws to people below them for no other reason than to watch them squirm.
This will make you HATE a job you would otherwise enjoy. And there is fallout from the effects of this in one's life.
Men have to cope with the urge of wanting to beat the sh*t out of their boss and at the same time pretend to like them.
The stress of having a career, family, bills, and all this on your shoulders can get pretty tough to hold up under. So some guys start to drink or whatever behavior that will have very negative repercussions for their family life. Is it all really worth it?? NO!
Your job is NOT your life. It is just a means of financing your needs. Your alliance is to your FAMILY, not to a job.
In companies that do not have a open door policy in upper management (most don't; still a "good ole boy" system with management) you can appeal to a higher authority if you are in such a situation.
I tend to empathize with the guy because I have been in that exact same situation myself.
In retrospect would I have done things differently? Hell yes! I would NOT have put up with it. But at the time I really thought the job was my life. And that was very stupid of me!
I am really thankful with the last employer and my present the has been a great relationships and even friends with bosses.
My last boss was a solid Christian man and he was actually heartbroken when I accepted the offer from my current employer.
And working for him was a pleasant enough environment I stayed for almost 10 years even though I had greater ambitions. But I had topped out in that relatively small company and there was no management position for me to move up in pay; time for a change.

Here's my two weeks notice. nln :D nln. (those are supposed to be my middle fingers)

Notice I'm not here for two weeks.

Being happy is important, you guys that are picking on him need to try it some time.

In the last job I had in the tech sector I was introduced to the TEAM of "engineers" in India that were going to replace me and instructed to train them. Through three different "career" positions I had been a good little drone, I built what I was told and once I even trained my foreign replacements before I got my 5-10 minutes of termination notice. It was the first time I laughed in a man's face and told him to go fuck himself (literally). I packed my station up and was on my way out the door before the rat fuck son of a bitch got to me with my letter of discipline.

My drive home was the most pleasant I had ever had, I felt like the king of the world. I was happy.

Now I'm a licensed electrician, a licensed plumber, a trained stone mason carpenter. I build houses, I make the same or more money every year, I can count my abs, and my wife is happier because I'm happier. Even better, I'm not all bitchy with my kids any longer.

I'm going to tell people a little secret, that seems to have been overlooked by the entire world. Your tech sector jobs are shit, if your employer isn't paying you well and treating you like they should treat the real backbone of the company then walk. Just walk.

I can count my abs

Most unexpected part of a response in this thread yet.

I'm going to tell people a little secret, that seems to have been overlooked by the entire world. Your tech sector jobs are shit, if your employer isn't paying you well and treating you like they should treat the real backbone of the company then walk. Just walk.
This is a pretty ignorant statement. Not every industry is appropriate for every person. Having had jobs that depended on physical labor--which I have no issue with in general--I found it stressful when you have to consider that sickness and physical wellness affect your earning potential and consistency of income. It wasn't right for me. But it doesn't make your job shit by default. I do think that the 'tech' industry is still overrated, and it feels like another bubble. Working for a big-name tech company is not always some sacred thing.

So you admittedly, cheerfully commit fraud against a company, but we're supposed to take your side that it was mean to you. :rolleyes:
I certainly won't commit fraud against Apple, but I certainly wouldn't feel the least bit bad if someone else did. Apple was completely unconcerned about me and my family's well being. In return, I'm completely unconcerned for theirs.

But lets get this straight right now; I don't care whether you're on my side or not. For me, there's only one side of this, and that was the choice they forced me to make. Either skip out on the birth of my Daughter, get terminated, or quit. I chose the latter. While this guy could have at least tried to make better decisions leading up to walking away, I posted my story because I can certainly share his feelings about Apple and how they treat their employees. It is a very toxic place to work.

As they said to me in my IBM managers training, "Good people don't leave companies, they leave managers".

Poor buttercup.

Whiny entitled baby and stupid. Good luck getting a job if the prospects see this pile of whining crap.

I can understand being irked by a troublesome supervisor, but why say you left the company because of that supervisor, and then state you wanted to be in his 'inner circle'??

Well, that sucks that his dream job turned out to be an unpleasant experience.
He should have confronted his boss, and asked to have a meeting with HR present.
I have been in that situation, not a dream job, just an ass hole boss.
He always made little jokes about marines and what not, so i confronted him in his office about it. I was respectful and honest. Two weeks later i was terminated. I laughed when he gave me my termination notice, and i walked out and never looked back. Work is work, but doing something you love to do is hard to find, so keep looking.

After reading the article this guy comes off as being a passive agressive tool imo, give two weeks and be professional or go to HR. Its hard to believe that Apple doesnt have some sort of open door policy that you can speak to any manager if you are unconfortable talking to yours....

depends on how bad it is, its like that in IT everywhere I work.

Then I look at the sweatshops that make the devices, NOW THOSE PEOPLE ARE HAVING A BAD DAY MAKING his ipad air unless your an asiaphile.

a. sleep in a dorm
b. live at the factory
c. work 12-18 hour shifts
d. get fired on a whim
e. move hundreds of miles from family
f. have curfew
g. tons of rules
h. safety nets are literally safety nets to keep you from jumping off buildings
i. work motivation signs similar to concentration camps

I can understand being irked by a troublesome supervisor, but why say you left the company because of that supervisor, and then state you wanted to be in his 'inner circle'??

I don't think he ever stated that he wanted to be in the inner circle.

Yup, this guy screwed up. He knew he hated the job for a while, the professional thing to do is look for another job and quit when you get one. Been there, done that.

As for two week notice, you should be able to figure out if the company deserves that and act accordingly. Do they give employees notice, or at least pay, when they let them go? If so, then you should give them two weeks notice, even if they walk you to the door right after you give notice then you have a two week vacation before you start the new job. If they do keep you on the whole time then your co-workers who don't get left in the lurch suddenly will remember it, and you never know when they'll be getting you a good job a few years down the road someplace else. I'd still recommend giving two weeks notice even to bad companies since it can help get you into good companies, as this should come up in the hiring process.

This is called a learning exercise. How any people actually like their job and their boss? Maybe 10% if lucky?

Most of us do the job because it pays the bills, that's it, no other reason. It's not for the glory of the company or personal development, its to stop us from being homeless.

Once you get to that point most of us can get past it, sure we hate ourselves but you get by.

But as he was a contractor it can make it difficult but I think there is a element of unrealistic expectations from day one syndrome here.

I always used to give as good as I got with bosses, but I'm from the UK so I knew I couldn't be fired there and then. I stood up to quite a few bully bosses (once even in the middle of the office in front of everyone) and every time they backed down, some even promoted me afterwards.

I always used to think "Bosses come and go but I always get to stay!" Which if you work somewhere for more than a year you come to learn. I reckon I had maybe 30 bosses in my time. In fact by the end I was saying to my latest new boss at the 'get to know you' meeting -

"Well what I want to know is how much effort should I make in getting to know you so you can help mentor my career or are you just going to move on in three months so we should just agree to say hello to each other in the morning till you go and that's it?"

That put them on the back foot I can tell you!

I have known 3 people that have worked for Apple in various roles. All three of them hated it, but stuck it out cause talk about a resume builder.

All these AAA companies are like this. They command the best talent, cause they are on top of the game. Working for them in any serious fashion is not for everybody.

The Hipster Douche is just that. He was probably hired for some menial shit, told he would work like a slave until he earned his stripes, then if it worked out they may throw him a bone. Don't like it? Go cry to Craig on Craigslist. Once he is done not giving a fuck, good luck salvaging your career after you made an international jerk of yourself.

I lol'ed at all the comments. Every employment contract states that its a mutual contract between 2 entities and you can leave at any time. A company will lay you off that day if it feels you provide no benefit.

Exactly. On top of that, all this talk about "professional career" and this damaging your career is laughable. Why would you even put on your resume that you worked for (INSERT_BOOGEYMAN_COMPANY_HERE) for 4 hours before walking out?

This wont touch your "Professional Career" most likely, unless your a very high level Sr.Dir. or VP or something.

I always used to think "Bosses come and go but I always get to stay!" Which if you work somewhere for more than a year you come to learn. I reckon I had maybe 30 bosses in my time. In fact by the end I was saying to my latest new boss at the 'get to know you' meeting -

"Well what I want to know is how much effort should I make in getting to know you so you can help mentor my career or are you just going to move on in three months so we should just agree to say hello to each other in the morning till you go and that's it?"

That put them on the back foot I can tell you!

That sort of epic run-on question would put anyone on their heels.

what are people expecting when working at apple ? fairy dust everywhere and work condition like a kindergarten?

welcome to the real world hipsters.

Exactly. On top of that, all this talk about "professional career" and this damaging your career is laughable. Why would you even put on your resume that you worked for (INSERT_BOOGEYMAN_COMPANY_HERE) for 4 hours before walking out?

This wont touch your "Professional Career" most likely, unless your a very high level Sr.Dir. or VP or something.

this. literally.

i could take off my pants then take a big crap on the floor in my office and walk out. 200 miles away I'd be hired in less than a week of looking for a job because of how in demand my skill set it (similar to what this guy does, but i'm not a pretentious d-bag like him).

True, except now it's a matter of public record what he did. :p

Should have been titled, "I took a job nobody in their right mind would have had they actually rubbed a couple of brain cells together and thought about it ahead of time."

I think the fact that we're acting like professionals while the company is more than happy to have your belongings meet you at the door when you get to work is one of the great scams of the western world.

Exactly. It's a give and take. I feel for the guy because every large corporation is exactly like this now. If you don't actually work for the guy who's name is on the building then you are subhuman. It's almost like a members only club. Your hired as a contractor so the company can evaluate you without having to make long term commitments. If you pass the tests and kiss enough ass you will eventually win an entry level position in the company.

Every company is like this now.
I've had jobs with great supervisors that were enjoyable and jobs with bad supervisors that were a living hell.
Even the "good companies" I worked for didn't hesitate to ax the hourly guy over the supervision without question and would let you go if you didn't bend over backwards to make them happy EVERY TIME.
There is an overabundance of employable people out there, so companies can do whatever they want because the current market favors employers, not employees.

Every company is like this now.
I've had jobs with great supervisors that were enjoyable and jobs with bad supervisors that were a living hell.
Even the "good companies" I worked for didn't hesitate to ax the hourly guy over the supervision without question and would let you go if you didn't bend over backwards to make them happy EVERY TIME.
There is an overabundance of employable people out there, so companies can do whatever they want because the current market favors employers, not employees.

From my experience, a supervisor will not get terminated easily because the manager that hired them would look bad, its amazing how some in management will take credit for everything except mistakes. Workers however are a dime a dozen in the eyes of some companies, its not a bad thing. No one forces you to work for said company or said wage. you agree they agree, if not you part ways. Seems like working for large companies your basically just a number, but usually the wages and benefits are better, but not always.

Wow. Can't blame Apple for this guy not being able to handle a job in a tech company. He wasn't even an Apple employee.. don't know if he realizes it or not, but contractors are meant to be put through the ringer... the ones that stand out may potentially be converted to employees. The ones that don't... well, I guess they post their sob stories online.

He should have contacted the company, who admits he previously had a good relationship with, and discussed it at length with them. If you have a solid headhunter in your corner, that is a bridge you shouldn't burn.

Instead, he walked out, abandoning his contract, and screwing over the company that contracted him to Apple.

To make matters worse, he then publicly announces the entire affair to the world. I wouldn't place him with any of my clients.

Guy should have given a two week notice. Not because they deserve it, but because you are being the bigger man by giving them a notice. Let them bitch and moan like an insolent child about you quitting, while you act calm and explain the reasons why.

I'm 100% for quitting a shitty job for the right reasons but there's a correct way to do it.

Working at Apple isn't a resume builder but more like a popularity contest. Products have been mediocre at best to garbage and software quality and stability have approached Windows NT level. The next employer is going to laugh at the Apple hype.

Working at Apple isn't a resume builder but more like a popularity contest. Products have been mediocre at best to garbage and software quality and stability have approached Windows NT level. The next employer is going to laugh at the Apple hype.

And this is what they call passing off personal opinion as fact.

Working at Apple in any substantive capacity is a huge boost for an application. Apple actually has a talent retention problem, because they employees they hire are at a good risk of being poached.

Ah the guy was a contractor.... he should have known that the majority of contractors in tech / IT positions get treated like dirt. He should have stuck it out and with any luck if he was offered a perm position things might have looked up.

You gotta pay your dues, and everywhere I have worked contractors were looked down upon like second class citizens.

Now, I can sympathize with his long hours and shitty commute... wait a sec, NO I can't! The dude lives and works in the SF bay area... ANYWHERE he works is going to be a shitty commute.

Back