• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Why for folding?

not to be a debbie downer or anything, but i wonder if you took all the money in electricity spent folding 24/7, and donated it to medical R&D, if that might have a bigger impact? I'm almost positive it would. But no sense of fun in that.

nope, because you can't donate man hours. and that's the most costly part about it. even if it was all volunteer's the asinine amount of man hours required to even upkeep the amount of hardware we are all running to fold with would be astronomical. also with out F@H you wouldn't see companies like Nvidia or AMD pushing the advancements of GPGPU in the consumer market. because distributed computing is really about the only thing that pushes GPGPU at this point. everything else can be run on a 8400GS in comparison.

and quite frankly there is no fun in that and even then if it wasn't F@H we would all be doing SETI. and if seti didn't exist we would all be doing WCG, and if WCG didn't exist we would be doing some other project. we do this because we want to, we dont care what it costs us. if we cared we wouldnt be doing any of this. the cause and the competition is why we are willing to spend thousands of dollars a year on something that may not even effect us in our lifetimes but may have an impact on our children or our grandchildren's generation.
 
lol what do you think F@H is?? its medical research.

lol no shit sherlock...but the effienciencies are lacking i think. i.e. the money it costs to fold might be better suited funnelled directly into R&D.

Let's all not beat around the bush, the #1 reason the majority fold is epeen and competition...and that's cool, especially since there is a side effect where in theory medical science is benefitting....but let's not posture like we're all mother Theresa. I've got family members with medical issues as much as anyone, but I'm not pinning my hopes on running my computer to save them.
 
lol no shit sherlock...but the effienciencies are lacking i think. i.e. the money it costs to fold might be better suited funnelled directly into R&D.

Let's all not beat around the bush, the #1 reason the majority fold is epeen and competition...and that's cool, especially since there is a side effect where in theory medical science is benefitting....but let's not posture like we're all mother Theresa. I've got family members with medical issues as much as anyone, but I'm not pinning my hopes on running my computer to save them.

goes back to my orginal saying they still need computer time. for this research. F@H is the largest supercomputer in the world. That they get by donations. no matter what Money we dontate they still need computer time and there getting more then they would ever be able to afford due to F@H.

back your statement up on resources being diverted?? i would like to know a source or you just making shit up. Cause it really sounds like you dont know what your talking about.
 
nope, because you can't donate man hours. and that's the most costly part about it. even if it was all volunteer's the asinine amount of man hours required to even upkeep the amount of hardware we are all running to fold with would be astronomical. also with out F@H you wouldn't see companies like Nvidia or AMD pushing the advancements of GPGPU in the consumer market. because distributed computing is really about the only thing that pushes GPGPU at this point. everything else can be run on a 8400GS in comparison.

and quite frankly there is no fun in that and even then if it wasn't F@H we would all be doing SETI. and if seti didn't exist we would all be doing WCG, and if WCG didn't exist we would be doing some other project. we do this because we want to, we dont care what it costs us. if we cared we wouldnt be doing any of this. the cause and the competition is why we are willing to spend thousands of dollars a year on something that may not even effect us in our lifetimes but may have an impact on our children or our grandchildren's generation.

sirmonkey, i get it...i really do. You can fold for the next 5 years and probably wouldn't catch me in work units...i just came to realization a long time ago that there was more productive ways i could help.
and you can donate man hours. money = salary = more employees.

anyway, i hope some of you can just tolerate a difference of opinion and not people almost fanatical about this because someone has a differing opinion. some of you folders are becoming worse than scientologists and jehovah's witnesses rapped into one.:p
 
lol no shit sherlock...but the effienciencies are lacking i think. i.e. the money it costs to fold might be better suited funnelled directly into R&D.

Let's all not beat around the bush, the #1 reason the majority fold is epeen and competition...and that's cool, especially since there is a side effect where in theory medical science is benefitting....but let's not posture like we're all mother Theresa. I've got family members with medical issues as much as anyone, but I'm not pinning my hopes on running my computer to save them.

you wouldn't save them anyways. its not this or last generation thats going to be saved by any of this research nor will it be the next 2-3 generations. thats the problem with science. IT TAKES TIME!!!! from paper to research to testing can be anywhere from 5-20 years without F@H, with F@H it can be anywhere from 5-10 years. thats a huge difference. but obviously you fail to see the big picture in all of this and are centering on shit you know nothing about when it comes to the project and whats involved. so on that note this is probably one thread you are not qualified to post in. so move on to something you actually know before shitty on something you know nothing about.

sirmonkey, i get it...i really do. You can fold for the next 5 years and probably wouldn't catch me in work units...i just came to realization a long time ago that there was more productive ways i could help.
and you can donate man hours. money = salary = more employees.

anyway, i hope some of you can just tolerate a difference of opinion and not people almost fanatical about this because someone has a differing opinion. some of you folders are becoming worse than scientologists and jehovah's witnesses rapped into one.:p

except you obviously miss the point.

money = hardware = more science production = more power usage = what money is left for those having to monitor the 100's of thousands of systems running what we can already do in our own homes?

see the big picture here.. there done, this thread has run its course.
 
sirmonkey, i get it...i really do. You can fold for the next 5 years and probably wouldn't catch me in work units...i just came to realization a long time ago that there was more productive ways i could help.
and you can donate man hours. money = salary = more employees.

anyway, i hope some of you can just tolerate a difference of opinion and not people almost fanatical about this because someone has a differing opinion. some of you folders are becoming worse than scientologists and jehovah's witnesses rapped into one.:p

i see you ninja edit your post i would still like to see your claims for siphoning resources as you put it before you edited your post.


Your making claims that you know you cant back.
 
back your statement up on resources being diverted?? i would like to know a source or you just making shit up. Cause it really sounds like you dont know what your talking about.

not specifically at F@H, but every once in a while you read a blurb about distributed computing resources being sold off. If you think there's not somebody getting paid in this whole ordeal and everything is altruistically being donated, then you're faily naive filter, and no about of posting is going to change that.
 
not specifically at F@H, but every once in a while you read a blurb about distributed computing resources being sold off. If you think there's not somebody getting paid in this whole ordeal and everything is altruistically being donated, then you're faily naive filter, and no about of posting is going to change that.

post links back up your claims. and you claimed F@h was doing it and now your backpedaling.
 
i see you ninja edit your post i would still like to see your claims for siphoning resources as you put it before you edited your post.


Your making claims that you know you cant back.

I swear, some of you holier than thou folders can really get your panties in a twist.

anyway, i know i read an article or two in the past about companies selling the WU's off..but really, whether it was in black and white or completely fabricated, it woudln't make a difference to you regardless, so I'm not going to waste the cycles trying to back up my claim. Edify yourself.

my posts weren't to try to get other people to stop folding...just why I don't. Now if some of you could get off your high horses and stop pestering people in every forum on why they should fold and keep it to the folding forum...that would be much appreciated.
 
I swear, some of you holier than thou folders can really get your panties in a twist.

anyway, i know i read an article or two in the past about companies selling the WU's off..but really, whether it was in black and white or completely fabricated, it woudln't make a difference to you regardless, so I'm not going to waste the cycles trying to back up my claim. Edify yourself.

my posts weren't to try to get other people to stop folding...just why I don't. Now if some of you could get off your high horses and stop pestering people in every forum on why they should fold and keep it to the folding forum...that would be much appreciated.

well your spouting false information out of your mouth and making claims then editing your posts and cant back any of it up. If i was going to make a serious accusation like that i would of at least had a link. I mean im sure someone in the folding community seti or WCG community would of read this same article that you did and it would of spread through out the community.
 
You should learn to spell before trolling something like this. Nice quotes around "cures", Ramon. If you have a problem with folding, just don't do it. It's that simple. Don't sit up on your high horse and snicker at people who get caught up in the spirit of competition for a good cause.

I don't do it, but this is a public forum intended for discussion and that's what this is. If you have a problem with discussions, exit the thread. It's that simple. Don't sit up on your high horse and snicker at people who get caught up in the spirit of debate.
 
well your spouting false information out of your mouth and making claims then editing your posts and cant back any of it up. If i was going to make a serious accusation like that i would of at least had a link. I mean im sure someone in the folding community seti or WCG community would of read this same article that you did and it would of spread through out the community.

ok, I take it back for, now go about your business and rage somewhere else. One reason I no longer fold is that I BELIEVE there are people syphoning off recources and making deals to benefit financially from the free resources being provided by the unsuspecting and gullible public. I have no back up for this at all, and do not purport it as truth, simply my belief. Now Filter, you have anything else to say directly to me, do it over pm or even better stfu. You think too much of yourself to be lecturing me on what I should or should not post.
 
ok, I take it back for, now go about your business and rage somewhere else. One reason I no longer fold is that I BELIEVE there are people syphoning off recources and making deals to benefit financially from the free resources being provided by the unsuspecting and gullible public. I have no back up for this at all, and do not purport it as truth, simply my belief. Now Filter, you have anything else to say directly to me, do it over pm or even better stfu. You think too much of yourself to be lecturing me on what I should or should not post.

one last question. do you wear a tin foil hat?
 
one last question. do you wear a tin foil hat?

why no, they were out of my size!!!


o wait you ment to the people who keep trying to persuade people to not fold, when one of their complaints is that some people are out there trying to persuade others to fold..... hypocrite no?
 
I use to do Silly Effort To Investigate (SETI) also...I just started folding at Christmas time after my friend died from cancer he didn't know he had..He went to the dentist to have a tooth pulled and somehow the cancer got into his blood stream and 7 hours later he was dead..So that is why I fold,I never thought much about it till it hit home like that..The only thing that bothers me,and I do not know this to be true but what will BIG PHARMA do with the results that can save lives?
Will they put it to good use of hide it from the general public?
 
just found out about EVGAs store credit a couple days ago.. if they do it another year (they very well might not) I'll fold for them and get a discount on my next card. Money talks.
That's motivation for me. Right now I'm folding for slickdeals, just because they've saved me money and they're a bit of an underdog and I'd like to see em move higher in the stats. I think there around number 70 or so.
 
I started folding today while playing Wizard 101 with my daughters. I cant believe my 480's beat up my I7-950 @ 4.1Ghz. One thing, is I wonder why one GPU gets done faster then the other. I sign up for team 33 and trying to help to get HardOcP back to the #1 spot. I have made 28,845 PPD whatever that means LoL.
 
I realize this thread has gotten kind of sidetracked, but why do you need a justification for a hobby? If people build computers to fold, that's great. Most people on this forum probably build computers to play games, and that seems significantly more selfish, so why all the negative attitudes towards folding? At least we are attempting to help others. Maybe it isn't the best use of money, maybe it is, but I can guarantee it will help out more than gaming for 4 hours a day.
 
It is not great. It's a total waste of power which drives up electricity costs for all of us.

Hey guys, I've built 7 hot-rods which I leave running at redline all the time! Anyone want to compete with that?!

OP is correct.

Worse still: SETI
 
I think you misread my quote by adding enthusiasm to that's great. It was more of a that's great, like they can do what they want, not a "that's great!!!" (with Tony the Tiger doing the voiceover)....anyways, I digress. I need to just keep out of debate threads. Not a lot of reason on either side.
 
Back
Top