why doesn't any manufacturer do decent mATX board?

Teukka76

Limp Gawd
Why there isn't any Intel P965 or Nvidia 650i mATX boards?

I really don't need integrated video and crappy chipsets. I want good chipset and decent overclocking options.

Market size. They will not create a production line for a few hundred customers.

The way I see it, matx actually has the widest customer base. I mean think about it, matx mobos fits in an atx case but not the other way around. I think there're less people that uses every single pci slot in an atx board than people that needs/wants a good matx board.

matx is very popular in Asia but overclocking and such is not popular there...

there is no market for enthusiast matx board or the market is really very small

The way I see it, matx actually has the widest customer base. I mean think about it, matx mobos fits in an atx case but not the other way around. I think there're less people that uses every single pci slot in an atx board than people that needs/wants a good matx board.

Look at the market. The people who are using less slots are the same people who are just fine with lower performing boards.

Most high end Video cards take up 2 slots and really only let you put in short cards in the 3rd slot. Put in a discrete sound card and all 4 slots are basically used. What if you want to run SLI, or a PPU, or a TV card?

I'll use myself as an example.
I need 5 slots in my gaming PC (2 for 8800, USB backplate, X-Fi, TV tuner) It'll need a 6th if PPUs ever take off.
I need 5 slots in my DVR (2 for my 7900, 2 for my two tuners, audigy)
My server needs 0, so I use a mATX. But I wanted onboard video. It can be crappy video because all it needs to do is display a desktop. It doesn't need to overclock, because no one overclocks servers.

From time to time, decent mATX motherboards without integrated graphics come out. Gigabyte in particular is know for doing that. Here are just some examples of their previous intel chipset boards:

945P
915P
865PE

I wager that if a P965 mATX board comes out, it will be from Gigabyte.

Keep in mind these are just motherboards without integrated graphics, I have no idea how well they overclock. But they should overclock better than the boards with integrated graphics chipsets at least.

I'm wondering if as the P965 technology gets older it'll trickle down to the mATX systems? It'll be cheaper as newer chipsets come out so in theory that would allow it to be used in cheaper mATX mobos without costing too much. The downside is that it takes too long for something like that to happen. The technology is there its just that the manufacturers dont believe its worth their time or effort for whatever reason. :(

as more and more consumers see the benefits of an HTPC system in their home, more mATX boards will become available.

There are plenty of "decent" mATX mobos on the market. What features do you want that none have?

Market size. They will not create a production line for a few hundred customers.

i think u r wrong .....when u look at all those compaq,HP and whatever brand computers they sell in stores , if u look inside its almost always a matx board . Most people i think want small computers which only leaves the option for matx.
So i guess the market is there .
If they can make plenty of optional atx boards for a few hundred customers that are into games or benchmarks , why not do the same for a few hundred matx customers ???
In the end they only have to replace the chipset for a better one ...no big deal.
I think they just dont want to ...so they can sell there atx boards for more money.

Market of microATX is large (almost the same number of mATX boards on Newegg as ATX). (Let's say 40%)
Market of overclockers is tiny. (Let's say 2%)
Market of overclockers who want to use microATX is minimal. (Let's say one-tenth of one percent)
So we make up maybe 1/1000 of the market and the industry gives us no love. :(

as more and more consumers see the benefits of an HTPC system in their home, more mATX boards will become available.
I disagree... My father is as much of a computer guy as I am- our has has two dedicated HTPC's- he runs XP Media Center downstairs, and I go back and forth between BeyondTV and Vista MCE. Neither one of us is completely happy with our media centers, even when they are working 100% properly. There are just some things that a DVR box would handle better, especially when his Pentium-M starts overheating. Also, each software solution is missing several key components. We are switching carriers even as I type this, and both of us are replacing our MCE boxes with dedicated Verizon DVR STB's. HTPC is a niche market, and one which will diminish over time- not the other way around.

There are plenty of "decent" mATX mobos on the market. What features do you want that none have?

I think he pretty much mentioned it in the first post. Also, things such as current socket support with SLI, etc.

i think u r wrong .....when u look at all those compaq,HP and whatever brand computers they sell in stores , if u look inside its almost always a matx board . Most people i think want small computers which only leaves the option for matx.
So i guess the market is there .
If they can make plenty of optional atx boards for a few hundred customers that are into games or benchmarks , why not do the same for a few hundred matx customers ???
In the end they only have to replace the chipset for a better one ...no big deal.
I think they just dont want to ...so they can sell there atx boards for more money.

The people buying HP, compaqs and all the other tiny store bought machines are not interested in spending 50-100 more on a machine so that they can have a decent motherboard. Most of those systems are for asethetics, rather than functionality, most of those machines are also budget range and the consumers could care less thats in there as long as it's cheap.

Matx high performance board =! Cheap.

Also, changing boards is not as simple as changing a chipset, there is a lot of R&D going into it. For the nich market segment, it's too small.

The Intel Abit mATX board overclocks, some croaked though but I haven't followed it.

There are MANY that overclock on the AMD side. Sapphire, Biostar Tforce 6100, Biostar TA690G, Abit Nview that I know of.

Good info is here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=710828

I thought Abit was going to replace the Nview soon, anyone have any idea when cause I'm rather eager to get it and a X2 3600+.

I been digging around and all I can find out is that the NF-M2 replacement is this year. No info as to which quarter or month.

Back