• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Why Doesn’t Murdoch Stop Google From ‘Stealing’ Content

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
And the editorial of the day is brought to you by Newsweek’s very own Dan Lyons. Good Sunday afternoon reading.

The executives who run big, ailing news organizations—in particular Tom Curley of AP and News Corp.'s Rupert Murdoch—complain every chance they get that search engines—in particular Google—are stealing from them, because Google links to their stories but doesn't pay the AP or News Corp. to do so. The way the news bosses see it, that is theft, plain and simple. They say Google is making tons of money by shamelessly lifting their content, and it's driving newspapers out of business.
 
Last edited:
And you wonder why news papers are going out of business... First they were too blind to see where news was heading to and now they are too blind to see what search engines do for the business they were too blind to see a few years ago.

It's like calling the paper boy a thief for shouting the day's paper's front page headline on the side walk.

Just like the paper boy, the search engine is pointing prospective readers to the newspaper, not away from it.
 
ok i will say this Murdoch is nuts he obviously wants everything on the internet attached to a fee
 
Putting the news networks out of business? I don't see a problem with that.
 
Putting the news networks out of business? I don't see a problem with that.


Me either, so many of them these days are irrelevant, superfluous, or incredibly slanted towards a particular agenda for me to pay much attention to them anymore.
 
But wait, I thought the whole point of journalism was to get the story to the people above all else? Isn't that why the news media gets to abuse and ignore all the privacy laws and standards, because its all about the people???
 
My morning "newspaper" is the [H] front page and other various sites related to my interests. There's also the front page of MSN or something if I'm curious about dumb shit :D. I feel like I've grown up in an age where newspapers just seem like an incredible waste of trees, obsoleted by the current age.
 
Putting the news networks out of business? I don't see a problem with that.

Same here.

Especially when the ones who run them are too stupid to see why their paper is really failing. Oh wait, they sound just like the MPAA/RIAA, I wonder why. :rolleyes:
 

NOT funny. Can anything be more stupid? Or more evil? Newspapers haven't been 'educational' or 'unbias' since the day they were created. Putting them even deeper the government's pocket really would be an amazing thing. The only real discussion on the subject is it a 'if you' bribe or a 'thank you' bonus to the mainstream media for the terrible work they've done.

)#*)#@$*.
 
NOT funny. Can anything be more stupid? Or more evil? Newspapers haven't been 'educational' or 'unbias' since the day they were created. Putting them even deeper the government's pocket really would be an amazing thing. The only real discussion on the subject is it a 'if you' bribe or a 'thank you' bonus to the mainstream media for the terrible work they've done.

)#*)#@$*.

Gotta bail em all!

Too bad the dems and obama weren't around when the automobile was invented, we could have had blacksmith and buggy whip bailouts!
 
Oh yeah, and Murdoch has some of the best (unintentionally) funny one liners of anybody outside of the government. I wonder if they have ever even TRIED to have one of their web guys explain anything to the poor man (who himself must not be very good at using Google for anything BUT finding his 'stolen' content)? sheez.
 
Gotta bail em all!

Too bad the dems and obama weren't around when the automobile was invented, we could have had blacksmith and buggy whip bailouts!

While it's perfectly fine to have issues with the dems / obama, I just hope you also include the republican intervention from all the southern states who have fought long and hard for tax breaks for the Japanese car makers (or is that not government giving an unfair advantage?), and that you didn't support their move to force GM to keep unprofitable dealerships open. Funny how it's the republicans wanting to micromanage the car company after being in such a hurry to kill it, as soon as they realized that it had an impact in their states as well.

On topic, Murdoch is doomed in the long run and it will be good riddance.
 
While it's perfectly fine to have issues with the dems / obama, I just hope you also include the republican intervention from all the southern states who have fought long and hard for tax breaks for the Japanese car makers (or is that not government giving an unfair advantage?), and that you didn't support their move to force GM to keep unprofitable dealerships open. Funny how it's the republicans wanting to micromanage the car company after being in such a hurry to kill it, as soon as they realized that it had an impact in their states as well.

On topic, Murdoch is doomed in the long run and it will be good riddance.

What do car companies today have to do with this topic?

The example was a dying industry that has been replaced by new technology: the car eliminating a long established industry. That's an analogy to the internet destroying print news.

We still drive cars, so I wasn't talking about the auto bailout at all :rolleyes:
 
Oh yeah, and Murdoch has some of the best (unintentionally) funny one liners of anybody outside of the government. I wonder if they have ever even TRIED to have one of their web guys explain anything to the poor man (who himself must not be very good at using Google for anything BUT finding his 'stolen' content)? sheez.

nah, Murdoch doesn't want to hear it.. He's too busy in his golden tower counting his money (in foreign currency no doubt) that he received to make sure his shit stays propaganda and doesn't let any truth slip out.
 
nah, Murdoch doesn't want to hear it.. He's too busy in his golden tower counting his money (in foreign currency no doubt) that he received to make sure his shit stays propaganda and doesn't let any truth slip out.

That is one of the problems with a free enterprise system in a global economy, your enemies can buy you.
 
there is code you can add to stop google linking to you and botting you...

of course that's suicide online...
 
Frankly, as creaters of content, it is the fault of Reuters and AP that they themselves sat by and continued their model of syndicating content when they ought to have been immersing themselves in content aggregation from the beginning.

AP and/or Reuters should have been among the first at the gate with their own search enginers. They weren't, and now they will pay a price for that.
 
Wait, people really think its a good idea to have newspapers go out of business? Amazing.
 
i don't really get their argument though. when i read google news i go and visit their companies website... and see their ads. if it wasn't for google news i'd probably never ever see their site.

google's site is like my own, which is a news feed rss. it gives a brief intro to an article. if anything its revolutionzed how i read the news by reading snippets until i find an article i want to read further, similar to fark news.

if anything google should be sued with pirate bay since you can use google to find more torrents lol
 
Google has already solved this issue w/ a statement to newspapers.
from here

Add the following lines to your robots.txt

User-agent: *
Disallow: /
 
Links are links, not content. If they don't want people accessing, just password the flippin' site.

Solve your OWN problem numbskulls. It's not google's problem.
 
No way he's that stupid. I'm trying to figure out, however, just what he hopes to gain in going off like this. I suppose, like an earlier poster suggested, that he's simply laying the groundwork in the mind of the public, for paid access to his online stuff.

I used to check tvguide.com for my local television listings. They wanted me to register to continue to use the service. Hey, that's their right. It wasn't even going to cost me anything but my time. Now, I use zap2it.com.

Perhaps we'll end up with micro-payments to get our news, and if that is going to happen, someone has to be the first. Maybe this will bring about the age of truly 'open source news'. I know it is out there now, but I'm guessing it would get a big boost if these agencies are going to start charging me for their biased take on the same crap everyone else is reporting on every other channel/site.

I guess there is no such thing as a lazy revolutionary. Most people can't be bothered to really research an issue to understand what the hell is really going on - let alone report on something so someone else can get in on the 'truth'. Scares me a little.
 
I can understand their complaint... a poster on that article provided a good example here. Google aggregates the content such that non of the advertising is supplised along with the origional message. I can see how this affects AP's revenue stream, but instead of fighting with them and trying to squeeze them for the extra cash they should try and make a deal and devise a system to provide advertising content along with the story as sort of newsfeed. In other words, as content is leeched from the source, a link from the source should be provided to some sort of ad-rotator. The solution is obviously not to try and strong arm the search providers but simply cooperate with them to provide content for free and still maintain a revenue stream.
 
No way he's that stupid. I'm trying to figure out, however, just what he hopes to gain in going off like this. I suppose, like an earlier poster suggested, that he's simply laying the groundwork in the mind of the public, for paid access to his online stuff.

I used to check tvguide.com for my local television listings. They wanted me to register to continue to use the service. Hey, that's their right. It wasn't even going to cost me anything but my time. Now, I use zap2it.com.

Perhaps we'll end up with micro-payments to get our news, and if that is going to happen, someone has to be the first. Maybe this will bring about the age of truly 'open source news'. I know it is out there now, but I'm guessing it would get a big boost if these agencies are going to start charging me for their biased take on the same crap everyone else is reporting on every other channel/site.

I guess there is no such thing as a lazy revolutionary. Most people can't be bothered to really research an issue to understand what the hell is really going on - let alone report on something so someone else can get in on the 'truth'. Scares me a little.

The problem with pay for news is, the bias of the source (as you touched on) and also the credibility of the information. Who wants to pay for a bit of news only to find out that it was written by some right wing nut job hell bent on world domination, which didnt really give me the information I paid for in the first place? Can I return it and get my money back? The problem with this model is obvious, news content providers must provide content for free to exist in the first place.

This is why there has been tremendous move towards blogs and such in my opinion. People are tired of the greedy content providers and the corporate bias. Certainly blogs come with their own bias but at least the reader isnt forced to choose one source over the other simply because of some licensing or copyright restriction.
 
Rupert Murdoch is the modern day equivalent of the rickety old-timers that believed photographers were "stealing their souls".
 
This is exactly why I don't put much faith in corporate news. All of the news outlets have some kind of bias to them. I prefer to see all the angles of a story not just one. There are very few independate reporters out there who don't have an angle so it's nice to have blogs and forums to fill in gaps.
 
I'd reaaly like to read the story, but once again that damn Newsweek
Error

Our servers have encountered a problem.

crap pops up. I have never seen a major website that so many problems. Even straight from MSSNBC 'site. Unless Newsweek is doing it intentionally. :confused:
 
But wait, I thought the whole point of journalism was to get the story to the people above all else? Isn't that why the news media gets to abuse and ignore all the privacy laws and standards, because its all about the people???

Journalism isn't about actual reporting of the news, it's about generating revenues. That's why a lot of people think journalism is dead.
 
Back
Top