• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Why does the E6850 cost more than the E8400?

Joined
Jan 14, 2008
Messages
4
First of all, I'm a complete Intel n00b and apologize if this is a stupid question.

Is the processor not faster the higher the number? If so, I'd think the E8400 would cost more than the E6850. I went on the Intel site and did a product comparison of the two, but they look similar to me. Would someone mind explaining this to me? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

EDIT: I thought I should include the pricing as of today on newegg. E6850 is $274.99, E8400 is $224.99
 
First of all, I'm a complete Intel n00b and apologize if this is a stupid question.

Is the processor not faster the higher the number? If so, I'd think the E8400 would cost more than the E6850. I went on the Intel site and did a product comparison of the two, but they look similar to me. Would someone mind explaining this to me? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Higher number doesn't necessarily mean faster. Though in this case the E8400 _is_ faster. But it is also a brand new processor, on a 45nm process, and the price has not dropped on the old processors yet.

This happens rather often, where an older "high end" CPU is priced higher than a newer, faster, "mid range" CPU.
 
So you're saying when the E6850 came out it was "high end" and priced as such...and the E8400 is "mid level" and priced accordingly since now the Q and X series are at the high end?
 
You're right, and you're wrong...

You're correct in saying that the E6850 was Intel's high-end dual-core processor, and it was sold and marketed as such. The E8400 was designed to replace the E6750, which was Intel's mid-level dual-core. It's been an Intel tactic for years to not make a huge price cut (if any) on the older products when the newer stuff gets released.

But the Q before the processor "number" indicates that the processor is a quad core, while the X designates the processor as being one of Intel's Extreme Edition processors (the EE CPUs offer unlocked multipliers, but are much more expensive than their non-EE counterparts). The QX indicates that the processor is a quad-core Extreme Edition processor.
 
Awesome! Thanks so much to you both for your replies.

Now I just need to gather some cash together and I'm good to go!

Thanks again!
 
Intel's new pricing strategy is to now introduce newer CPUs at the same price point as their older CPUs. So basically you're getting a faster CPU for the same or slightly lower price as the old ones.

Quick guide:

CPU, CPU Replaced in Price Bracket, CPU Replaced in Performance Bracket
E6420, E6300, E6400
E6550, E6320, E6600
E6750, E6420, E6700
E6850, New Bracket Created, X6800
E8400, E6750, E6850
E8550, E6850, New Bracket Created

So when the E6750 was released, it replaced the E6700 in that performance bracket but replaced the E6420 in that price bracket.
 
Back
Top