Why does Ryzen 7 1800X performs so poorly in games?

Well most of us were going by the fact that Windows 7 is 10% faster then Windows 10
There are reasons to suspect that Win 7 being faster than Win 10 is a function of nVidia cards being used as GPUs. Swap that with AMD stuff and suddenly Win10 is way better than Win7. At least that's what looncraz claims.
We all know AMD and Intel took a different approach to hyperthreading so not surprising to me the new version is having issues on some things.
Their SMT approaches are hardly different (it is difficult to be creative with SMT-2).

I hate watching video reviews (irony being that I am a video engineer) but are the Windows 7 and Windows 10 comparisons sticking to the DX11 code path or are they comparing DX11 on W7 to DX12 on W10?

From what I have seen they have kept it to dx11. Now I admit I have not seen them all.

I don't think ACtivision\Blizzard and EA are having a hard time keeping the lights on and this is literally what AMD has to do.

The headache devs will have is when threads need to co-ordinate 1000s time a second with threads on the other CCX, simplest example would be game engine PhysX/simulations/particles/destructive environment/etc.
Ideally a PhysX solution works better with more than 1 thread, same possibly could be said for some other functions as well.
So these potentially limit the scaling of the game engine or devs have to be very careful with thread affinity and where each thread is for dependencies, it will be pretty complex and its bad enough trying to get devs to expand beyond 4-Core as it is.
But it is not the end of the world as performance is still pretty good in games, so maybe most devs will just carry on as usual *shrug*.
Will be interesting to hear what if anything will be done with recent next gen game engines and optimisation with Ryzen as they usually have a reasonable size gaming base.

Edit:
And I forgot to mention collision detection that may also have headaches for devs in context of multi-thread designs spanning CCX.
Cheers

Last edited:
I would say it cant be too hard since some programs have 0 issue with the CCX.

I would say it cant be too hard since some programs have 0 issue with the CCX.
Because it is the nature of the threads and the data (such as size of chunks that can be processed,associated dependencies-sharing,etc) ; use is very different between RealBench and those game engines that are impacted, in fact some other game engines may be as well because it depends upon what options the reviewers/gamers set.
The challenge though relates more to next gen games rather than older ones

Cheers

Last edited:
There are reasons to suspect that Win 7 being faster than Win 10 is a function of nVidia cards being used as GPUs. Swap that with AMD stuff and suddenly Win10 is way better than Win7. At least that's what looncraz claims.

Their SMT approaches are hardly different (it is difficult to be creative with SMT-2).
Have you seen any AMD GPUs used yet. Now that you mentioned it, I cant say I have but that would be interesting.

Not sure if this was posted or not, but I saw this on anandtech and not sure if it needs the salt shaker or not, but it sure is an eye opener.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-29#post-38793715
All of that is interesting, unverifiable, and completely irrelevant. The fact is no one should wait on a hypothetical. We all know new tech is released constantly, so you you make the best purchase you can when you need it and don't look back.

All of that is interesting, unverifiable, and completely irrelevant. The fact is no one should wait on a hypothetical. We all know new tech is released constantly, so you you make the best purchase you can when you need it and don't look back.

Interesting indeed, I buy the best I can afford now and worry about buyers remorse only when its time to upgrade.

Yeah , agree, if you bought this round you are the beta testers and I for one appreciate your sacrifice. Thank you.

+1 I'm a pussy cuz there was no way I was going to pre-order an AMD chip like a laboratory rat. And now that Ryzen is out, I'm glad I didn't, except it would be great for Handbrake...

+1 I'm a pussy cuz there was no way I was going to pre-order an AMD chip like a laboratory rat. And now that Ryzen is out, I'm glad I didn't, except it would be great for Handbrake...

Well exactly, I can't see the benefit of getting off my 8320 for the crap I do, I mean most of it hits the GPU anyhow but I'm just kind of mourning for some new stuff. I'll pop when it's nice and stable and I can pretend I don't give a bleep because I'm actually cheap and covering for it.

I call that using your head and not purchasing sight unseen a very expensive product that has not been independently verified.

Well exactly, I can't see the benefit of getting off my 8320 for the crap I do, I mean most of it hits the GPU anyhow but I'm just kind of mourning for some new stuff. I'll pop when it's nice and stable and I can pretend I don't give a bleep because I'm actually cheap and covering for it.

I know just what you mean.
I would be coming from the Sandy in my sig that I use just for games and Kodi, yeah I might pick up some min fps or I might lose some, either way a crapshoot.
But my media/file/Kodi/PLEX/encoding server with a PII 975BE would greatly benefit from Ryzen, but not till all the mobo snafus are worked out first. ;)

It's about the guarantee or otherwise so many reviewers would have used a 1070 or 1080 instead of a titan.
I mean, computerbase.de used to use 980 Ti for their CPU testing until this February and the only game that was GPU bottlenecked at 720p was TW3. It is still basically GPU bottlenecked at 1080p with Titan XP with sufficiently fast CPU though.

Well most of us were going by the fact that Windows 7 is 10% faster then Windows 10 so we figured it was a scheduler issue (we call that real world). Makes me wonder if Intel would show the same speed increase, someone would need to try it. We all know AMD and Intel took a different approach to hyperthreading so not surprising to me the new version is having issues on some things.

What fact? AMD is stating there is no broad and conclusive evidence that W10 is slower, only isolated cases, and even if W10 is slower in general, the cause is not the scheduler:

We do not believe there is an issue with scheduling differences between the two versions of Windows. Any differences in performance can be more likely attributed to software architecture differences between these OSes.

Not sure if this was posted or not, but I saw this on anandtech and not sure if it needs the salt shaker or not, but it sure is an eye opener.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-29#post-38793715

A pile of BS. Now he pretends that the commercial chips behave worse than he said because they are in reality engineering samples o_O

I think it is new silicon, AMD while on the one hand it was dastardly underhanded, on the other pure genius, they just rebranded ES's as final release lol and sold them because they knew the market would take them. I have heard things I cannot repeat but the later silicon is very nice.

That thread started fine with some very interesting tech info posted by The Stilt. It has now degenerated on a conspiracy theories fest. People in that thread pretends that the scheduler issue is real and that AMD is officially denying it because "Wintel" (sic) is obligating them to do so. That thread title would be changed to "strictly BS".

A pile of BS. Now he pretends that the commercial chips behave worse than he said because they are in reality engineering samples o_O

That thread started fine with some very interesting tech info posted by The Stilt. It has now degenerated on a conspiracy theories fest. People in that thread pretends that the scheduler issue is real and that AMD is officially denying it because "Wintel" (sic) is obligating them to do so. That thread title would be changed to "strictly BS".
Sorry but seeing all the testing would leave me in a WAIT and SEE approach. The testing does raise questions between 7 and 10 so regardless of some statement even from AMD I am hesitant to accept it as something just doesn't add up. Besides aren't most of you always saying never trust AMD statements, all of a sudden you want to take them at their word. Given the plethora of tests, although some look a little off, I feel there is need for further in depth testing. Even PCPers tests were scheduled scripting that don't actually mimic games random behavior, as quite a few believe. So far we have no conclusive info either way, at least not a lot.

But it is not faster overall

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-03/ryzen-windows-7-benchmark-core-parking/

And even if it was faster it doesn't imply that the reason is a bad scheduler.

Doesn't imply it's not. Windows 7 may just be faster then Windows 10 which would look very bad for Microsoft. Simple fact is Ryzen is faster in Windows 7 then Windows 10 as been shown by several different sites. The question is why. Perhaps you dont care what the actual reason is, since we all know you dislike AMD, but some of us would like to know. Tho AMD pretty much said Windows 7 just performs better without actually saying it that way. Theories are fun, but I would like to seem some facts, but contrary to the title Ryzen games just fine, question is why is it so erratic.

Doesn't imply it's not. Windows 7 may just be faster then Windows 10 which would look very bad for Microsoft. Simple fact is Ryzen is faster in Windows 7 then Windows 10 as been shown by several different sites.

AMD already confirmed there is no problem with the W10 scheduler and Computerbase analysis just shows that RyZen is slightly faster on W10.

Doesn't imply it's not. Windows 7 may just be faster then Windows 10 which would look very bad for Microsoft. Simple fact is Ryzen is faster in Windows 7 then Windows 10 as been shown by several different sites. The question is why. Perhaps you dont care what the actual reason is, since we all know you dislike AMD, but some of us would like to know. Tho AMD pretty much said Windows 7 just performs better without actually saying it that way. Theories are fun, but I would like to seem some facts, but contrary to the title Ryzen games just fine, question is why is it so erratic.

Unfortunately not that simple.
One of the people heavily testing in the Forums at Anandtech found that there was no improvement for him using AMD GPU, while others who say they saw performance gains all had Nvidia GPUs so far.
This is the guy with the AMD card Looncraz:
My recommendation of not using Windows 7 with Ryzen is now solidified - you're just throwing away performance.

No game and no benchmark I tested performed better on Windows 7... while using AMD graphics.

If someone is willing to send me an nVidia graphics card that is fast enough to potentially be bottlenecked by a CPU in Battlefield 4 or Battlefield 1, then I am more than willing to do some testing. A GTX 980ti or above would be needed.

Cheers

Still fake news that AMD Ryzen is bad in games lol... still totally B.S.

Its not bad just like overclocked Sandy Bridge is not bad, if I can put things in perspective. Both will play all modern games maxed out with only little struggle on some badly optimized and ridiculously CPU bound ones. But the thing is that Sandy Bridge was released on 2011. Its no longer even nearly top of the line gaming CPU and from what I have seen Ryzen is only a small improvement over that. From a POV of someone who looked forward to Ryzen as an excuse to finally upgrade an old SB rig the answer is still negative. Ryzen is good, but its not good enough. But I am still following its progress with great curiosity and if the future Windows or BIOS updates unlock some hidden potentiality or how it performs when future games are better optimized for Ryzen.

Unfortunately not that simple.
One of the people heavily testing in the Forums at Anandtech found that there was no improvement for him using AMD GPU, while others who say they saw performance gains all had Nvidia GPUs so far.
This is the guy with the AMD card Looncraz:

Cheers
But, and this is the baffling part, Win 7 shows in most benches with pics that it doesn't populate the SMT cores almost at all. Now in windows 10 it shows populating all cores + SMT equally. If that is accurate with no shenanigans from the posters/reviewer then there is some work to be done. Unfortunately most of the delving has been half ass, not because they aren't trying but I think they aren't entirely sure what they are looking for or what it means. Kind of like how most all 9590 reviews showed terrible performance simply because no one knew how to OC it correctly ( my 8350@ 4.6 with slower ram and worse GPU - a lot worse GPU, posted better scores).

This is why I am reluctant to take AMD at their word on this as far as Win 10 is concerned, at least for now. I have not been convinced there isn't some fix there, although to what degree may not amount to much.

But, and this is the baffling part, Win 7 shows in most benches with pics that it doesn't populate the SMT cores almost at all. Now in windows 10 it shows populating all cores + SMT equally. If that is accurate with no shenanigans from the posters/reviewer then there is some work to be done. Unfortunately most of the delving has been half ass, not because they aren't trying but I think they aren't entirely sure what they are looking for or what it means. Kind of like how most all 9590 reviews showed terrible performance simply because no one knew how to OC it correctly ( my 8350@ 4.6 with slower ram and worse GPU - a lot worse GPU, posted better scores).

This is why I am reluctant to take AMD at their word on this as far as Win 10 is concerned, at least for now. I have not been convinced there isn't some fix there, although to what degree may not amount to much.
Can you link the examples of both that you mean as it does not necessarily match what PCPer showed.
The only aspect some can find fault with (but I mentioned in another thread why it is not the Scheduler as such) is how threads are assigned to logical cores randomly by the scheduler and 'awareness' of CCX structure.
Remember devs have to take Jaguar structure into consideration and cannot rely upon the scheduler to deal with throwing threads at it and leave the responsibility just with it on PS4 and XBOX1.
Thanks

Last edited:
Can you link the examples of both that you mean as it does not necessarily match what PCPer showed.
The only aspect some can find fault with (but I mentioned in another thread why it is not the Scheduler as such) is how threads are assigned to logical cores randomly by the scheduler and 'awareness' of CCX structure.

Thanks
The easy one is a thread here
https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-ryzen-7-performance-windows-7-vs-windows-10.1926898

Every one of his show this behavior.

So you do not think the Win7 is the one at fault for not using SMT and all logical cores?
Also using Nvidia card, which comes back to my post from Looncraz.
Cheers
Cant say wish I had a 1700 to test. But that is how my FX does because of the modules. In both 7 and 10. It loads 0-2-4-6 then 1-3-5-7, 0-1 being 2 cores one module. I can say that win 10 loading so equally seems wrong, to what degree I cant say. SMT would make sense if the load were just a touch higher on the physical core.
edit/add: core parking off otherwise all bets are off and it loads per module

Last edited:
This video shows SMT not working correctly with Win7 and Ryzen, same guy who did the other vids.
SMT on at 1m20seconds.

Cheers

If one other post I saw was correct 7 is still operating the same. He said the threads don't assign to physical per se. So if you notice in the 7 one only one from each core ( although I am not sure about what he said.

Hell maybe I should run that bench on my 8350 and see how it reacts.

Still fake news that AMD Ryzen is bad in games lol... still totally B.S.

There are existing alternatives that are not only faster for gaming, but cheaper as well. In addition the performance in games lags WAY behind it's excellent showing in multi threaded tasks. So yes, it's bad for gaming compared to it's own performance in other areas and compared to the competition.

Again, that doesn't make it a bad chip overall. It's just not the home run a lot of people expected and wanted. I saw a lot of people saying that they'd be happy with 80-90% of the gaming performance of a 7700K if it was better value. Unfortunately the pricing is comparable (or higher) depending on which Ryzen 7 chip you are looking at as well as only being 80-90% as fast. So it just doesn't compete unless you are doing certain productivity work as well.

There are existing alternatives that are not only faster for gaming, but cheaper as well. In addition the performance in games lags WAY behind it's excellent showing in multi threaded tasks. So yes, it's bad for gaming compared to it's own performance in other areas and compared to the competition.

Again, that doesn't make it a bad chip overall. It's just not the home run a lot of people expected and wanted. I saw a lot of people saying that they'd be happy with 80-90% of the gaming performance of a 7700K if it was better value. Unfortunately the pricing is comparable (or higher) depending on which Ryzen 7 chip you are looking at as well as only being 80-90% as fast. So it just doesn't compete unless you are doing certain productivity work as well.
Before your argument comes valid you must consider core count. You mention price and performance but not getting 4 more cores for the same price or slightly higher.

If one other post I saw was correct 7 is still operating the same. He said the threads don't assign to physical per se. So if you notice in the 7 one only one from each core ( although I am not sure about what he said.

Hell maybe I should run that bench on my 8350 and see how it reacts.

The results are wrong on Win7 with Ryzen, while Win10 is using all logical cores correctly - context of SMT enabled.
Other review sites show that even Win8 (not too different) will use all logical cores if SMT is not disabled.
Here is F1 2014 at DSO with the 6-core 4930K

F1-2014-CPU-Graph.jpg

Going by the vids the SMT related cores should be at 0% but they are not.
If I get time I will try to find other examples from different sites but it is late here.
Cheers

Back