Why does my computer send 200mil packets a second?

Morazl

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, so i've been having some really weird networking problems at home. I have a Dlink DIR-655 router (latest firm) with a Motorola SB5100 modem for my 20mb/2mb RCN Internet connection in Chicago.

Currently I'm running two clients of Vista Ultimate x64, with a few wireless clients. Every once in awhile the Internet connection will drop (maybe every couple of days or so) I go ahead and power cycle my network devices and reboot and it almost always works again.

When the connection does cut out, it's intermittent, my messenger clients get randomly disconnected for a few minutes, then it'll completely go out. The router is brand new and I have replaced it with another new one and it's still having these weird problems.

Today, when it happened I looked at my network connection status and it displayed this:

Clipboard01-17.png

35 billion packets sent in 5 minutes?? Now my computer seems like more of the culprit than my network hardware; any suggestions as to how to figure out what's causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Load up wireshark and see the ports and IPs.
Then up load TCPView to find out what program/DLL is making the connections.

I was just out of the house for about four hours, come back and it says 15 trillion packets sent. I've got to get this crap under control ASAP.

Looks like i had some trojan named "update.exe" running, so far no problems.

Looks like i had some trojan named "update.exe" running, so far no problems.

Many different trojans use a process of that name...you might want to scan your PC with several quality antivirus and anti-ad/spyware programs. Chances are you have more than just update.exe going on.

Cool, MalwareBytes is pretty good.

If you're wanting to feel a little more comfy about it....I'd recommend also running
SuperAntispyware (you can uninstall it after, it's free)
and Spybot Search and Destroy 1.6 (without teatimer)
Update each and do a thorough scan.

Maybe toss in a scan with AntiVir (can uninstall after, or....keep it.replace AVG ;) )

Thanks.

I've used spybot a lot and it works great, that'll be next on my scanner list. How's SuperAntiSpyware? It sounds a little generic, can you share your personal experiences with it? Same with "AntiVir".

Thanks.

I've used spybot a lot and it works great, that'll be next on my scanner list. How's SuperAntiSpyware? It sounds a little generic, can you share your personal experiences with it? Same with "AntiVir".

I use SuperAntispyare the most, out of the removal tools out there.

Yeah the name is a little...lame sounding. But it's a very good program, IMO the most effect scanner/removal tool out there for ad/spyware. It takes a long time to run the in depth scan, but..hey, on an infected PC....why not. Let it scan overnight.

If you leave the real time protection enabled, you'll find it slows down your logins...takes a while to load in the systray, but just uninstall it once your rig is clean. Or..disable the real time protection..and leave it on there.

AntiVir is by far the best free AV out there, tops tops tops in detection. Better than most pay for products too. It is VERY light on your system too.

Great, I'll check them out. I just hope they can run on Vista 64 bit. (Had troubles with ZoneAlarm)

I don't really feel like doing the math, but is that even possible?

I call bad NIC or Windows error/

I don't really feel like doing the math, but is that even possible?

I call bad NIC or Windows error/

NIC is working fine, I did update to the latest nForce drivers for my ethernet driver too. I believe it was caused by some trojan that was detected and removed.

I ran AVG, Spybot, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware. All the programs found something (mostly tracking cookies) except for Spybot. My computer seems to be working fine though.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

My work PC has been up for 36 hours - only 360 million packets sent 232 mil rcvd.

Maybe a looped back network cable on an unmanaged switch? Wow - I'm hoping you mean "its fixed" as in its no longer sending 15 trillion packets an hour or whatever.

Back