Why does everyone hate Syndicate...

I'm so confused. I was stoked the second I saw the Syndicate trailer (big fan of the original, loved the setting).

Then I saw mediocre reviews and people saying it sucks.

I just played it tonight for an hour or so.... umm.. why does it suck? I saw some people say its "generic"... how the hell is it generic compared to every other shooter? Love the overlay, the world, breaching... Unless it starts sucking after the first two levels. If that's the case, nevermind.

press x x x x x x x x x x to do something.

I'm not sure. I rented it on the 360 and while I hated the controls (a common issue with my and shooters on consoles) and the bloom was freaking insane, I liked it.

It's an FPS revival of an isometric game from 20 years ago. Mathematically, it results in hate.

press x x x x x x x x x x to do something.

lol
this.

the op mentioned the original game, the only thing that this game has in common with the original game is some of the music (re-mixed) and umm, that's it.

the game felt like a 'slightly' interactive movie.

could mention the consolitis but that drum has been beaten to death.

will say the checkpoint saving is a bit retarded. during my play-thru i got to a point (floating city - half way thru game) where i couldn't go any further. had to restart from the beginning of game to finish. during a boss fight, the boss was supposed to drop a weapon (swarm rocket launcher) which was required to shoot the lock off a door to continue. that weapon disappeared when boss died.
as there was only one save for the whole game, continuing from that checkpoint always meant i was stuck.

you can reload a chapter but once that chapter has been played thru, you get kicked back to the main menu without the option to continue on.
admittedly this bug is probably rare, tho it does highlight the lack of flexibility on ported titles.

even looked for modding tools to alter the checkpoint save (no console in PC version of game). the only tools available were for the console versions of the game. having to look for modding tools on an xbox site to mod the PC version is just an epic fail in my book. a world gone backwards.

wasn't going to bash gaming consoles but they are fucking frustrating for a PC gamer.
i'm actually looking forward to when the next revision of the Xbox comes out. might have a few decent games on the PC for 12 to 18 months, until the hardware lags horribly behind PC again thus stuck with rinse an repeat games.

It's an FPS revival of an isometric game from 20 years ago. Mathematically, it results in hate.

But wolfenstein 3d was pretty much the same...a "dumbed down" remake of a 2d title (no tactics or different ways of completing the game, just "generic" shooting)...:p

I like the game for what it is. I have the PC version.

The biggest complaints I have with it are graphics related: The bloom makes my eyes bleed and it's bad enough that I'm basically not going to bother playing it until I see some console tweaks and/or .cfg tweaks get solidified. Wouldn't mind an FOV tweak either although the default is serviceable enough.

There's also an annoying blurring effect in the game combined with that bloom that's hideous. It's especially egregious with the text. It's some gimmick that I've seen tried in a several games and I have no idea what crazy people actually think deliberately blurring something looks good.

The co-op and MP are fun. Single player is fairly decent. It certainly doesn't break any new ground and it most certainly is not remotely near a cutting edge or bleeding edge title in any way.

I was only $30 out of pocket for it and I feel good about that. Anything higher and I'd have problems recommending it to anyone but when the opportunity comes...and it'll come pretty fast...if you can snag this game for $30 or less go for it.

I still would love to see a REAL Syndicate sequel some day.

No decent story, 4 hours play time, just standard generic FPS clone, that just wasted the potential of franchise.

No decent story, 4 hours play time, just standard generic FPS clone, that just wasted the potential of franchise.

Indeed. This most certainly could have and should have been WAY more than what it is even if they were intent on going to a first person type setup.

Imagine a game kind of like of Deus Ex except it's not Deus Ex.

It's Syndicate with all that it entials in an immersive first person setup.

I'd pay big money for that kind of game.

But let's be honest here: How much did any of us really expect from Starbreeze studios and especially when it was clear yet again that the console were priority one?

And I liked the Riddick games well enough for what they were but they were hardly Hall of Fame titles.

Like I said: $30 tops for this.

The co-op is fun if your playing with friends that know how to communicate, that's pretty much the only good thing I can say about the game. I'd probably pay $15 for a strictly MP version, but not gonna happen so passing this one by like BF3.

that's fucking hilarious.
5 or 6 heavily armed dudes unloading clip after clip while Kilo (you) runs around performing 'only' melee attacks on said armed assailants. retarded.

the first reply to clip says it all..
Don't know what to tell ya @TheMrNomus. I did a bunch of takes for this video and each time walking up to everyone and pressing Mouse 3 worked perfectly well. Also, while you're in the takedown animation nothing hits you and your health regens. It's a joke.

sure the main character is somewhat super-human, but he's doing a 'Neo' without doing any of the tricky bullet-dodging moves.

it never even occurred to me to do melee attacks like this, in fact i can count on one hand how many melee attacks i did thru the entire game. perhaps i lack imagination.

Back