Why do you buy Apple products?

shawnmramsey

Limp Gawd
Edit: Not trolling, just really want to see why I should invest in the product, I have many frineds that use them, and I have yet to come by a good reason. Is it just like the cigarette brand no reason why but it tastes better?

Why do you buy Apple products?

Why do you have to upgrade for every new option, the options that should and would have came with it, if it were not for them omitting them to coerce you into upgrading for the same product you already have. Not trying to troll here, just really curious to what is the motive behind what I see as waisting your money on a locked down product that you have to upgrade every 6 months. Has it to do with the trendy nature of the product that makes it cool at the moment, like some skinny jeans? Or, does the product really increase your productivity so much that it will justify the huge chunk of money you have to shell out just to own/upgrade a Mac.

I understand the "need" for photographers to use Apple product(I think), but with the modern PC's power, and the vast amount of software out there, I'm sure there is a better (and faster) option than a Mac. If I am wrong please correct me, so I can adjust my opinion to better my own computing experience.

Last edited:
I personally stopped using Mac OS X and Macs but I still buy MBPs for family members because they are HANDS down the best build laptops right now on the market

I use a T410s for myself, I wish I had a MB air :)

because if you want to give a retard a computer, you give them a mac.

if you know what you are doing but lack the funds, you don't buy a mac.

if you know what you are doing and have the funds, you buy a mac.

not to troll either, but i am done with apple. no more iphones or macbook pros or whatever. so much more can be had for the money. and i do not want to be associated with that group of owners anymore.

I personally stopped using Mac OS X and Macs but I still buy MBPs for family members because they are HANDS down the best build laptops right now on the market

I use a T410s for myself, I wish I had a MB air :)

Is that because they last a long time, and are very resistant to breaking? I have had a Fujitsu S7110 for a while now for my wifes internet browser and get great battery time, and very fast for her with an SSD installed. So far very reliable.

I have plenty of funds, and make a living using a computer, and still don't own a mac, can you elaborate?

Edit: Also have not seen many servers using apple hardware, or software for that matter, lol.

I buy Apple products because of the packaging. Duh. Like totally.

not to troll either, but i am done with apple. no more iphones or macbook pros or whatever. so much more can be had for the money. and i do not want to be associated with that group of owners anymore.

Instead of buying a new MBP, am tempted to get the Alienware m18x when it comes out. It would be so over the top. Plus I would rather have the alien sticker instead of another Apple sticker.

Addendum: I collect Apple Stickers.

Last edited:
hmm my last line did not post ... this is what i meant:

if you REALLY know what you are doing, you have never bought a mac. because, lets face it, they are overpriced hardware with no real use in the real world without a copy of windows. (and college/school is not the real world)

hmm my last line did not post ... this is what i meant:

if you REALLY know what you are doing, you have never bought a mac. because, lets face it, they are overpriced hardware with no real use in the real world without a copy of windows. (and college/school is not the real world)

Ohhh, now I get it. :D

Macs for computers are just oddities for me. They don't even make their PowerPC processors anymore and switched to Intel years ago. Compared to building a Windows/Linux based platforum, they seem to lack clear upgrade paths (i.e., plug in new items and go), they lack a lot of game support, and they are extremely expensive when looking at what they are including.

My wife and I do love our iPhone's and iPad though. Well constructed, designed and most importantly, it just works well. Compared to the competition, they may not have the greatest or latest item specific technology (camera lol?), but man, that is a well made package in a slick product. Won't ever buy a Mac though computer though.

Why would someone buy Pepsi when Coke is an option? Because they like Pepsi more than Coke.

i like the way macs look.

i got my mac mini, after using it a while, i came to the conclusion that what stops apple is the operating system they have, the mac os.

?maybe? microsoft should make their os??

Why would someone buy Pepsi when Coke is an option? Because they like Pepsi more than Coke.

This is somewhat irrelevant to the solution of my question. Both of the sodas complete the same task, cost the same price, but taste different. In the case of a pc vs mac situation the cost is way off. So my question would be what makes the mac taste better. Coke has more of a sugar taste I understand that as a deciding factor, but whats makes the mac sweeter? I have yet to hear one answer that would make the Mac better. Is there one? :confused:

This is somewhat irrelevant to the solution of my question. Both of the sodas complete the same task, cost the same price, but taste different. In the case of a pc vs mac situation the cost is way off. So my question would be what makes the mac taste better. Coke has more of a sugar taste I understand that as a deciding factor, but whats makes the mac sweeter? I have yet to hear one answer that would make the Mac better. Is there one? :confused:

not really an accurate comparison. Mac is more like RC cola or Mr Pibb. RC cola actually has 20 more calories than coke per can, and is also harder to find.

I do agree there is a very nice, and clean look to Apples products, also they seem just look cleaner on a desk with the lack of wires. Does anyone purchase them for this argument only? Maybe that is the decidiong factor, because I would really like a cleaner desk. :)

The point is that it's a subjective decision. Someone who likes Pepsi better could explain why to someone who likes Coke, but that wont really mean anything to the Coke drinker.

Ok so it seems its just I like it for what it is thing, not really a functionalty thing. I know when I took electronic publication my teacher swore by Macs for their graphic architecture, did not know if that idea ever held water to the bottom line. If i were go purchase a Mac today, would I see any real improvement over a Pc based Linuz\Win system? I have been really curious about trying one out, but would hate to have severe buyers remorse.

Both of the sodas complete the same task, cost the same price, but taste different. In the case of a pc vs mac situation the cost is way off.
When you compare apples to apples instead of apples to oranges like most do when they make the price comparisons then the price is usually within 10%.

I'm more than willing to pay the extra money for hardware that has been tested thoroughly and has very rare issues when compared to mass market systems / built systems, the quality and looks of the enclosure or package, and I enjoy OSX. I don't have to fiddle with shit or worry about viruses/spyware - it just works.

We don't all need or want bleeding edge hardware. Give it a try, if you don't get why people move from building systems to a Mac after a week then return it, at least you gave it a shot which is more than can be said for most people out there that trash Apple products at every opportunity.

I like OSX. There are some things about it that I find useful and I enjoy working on it. There are some things that annoy me. I have owned macs before. I don't now but I am waiting for the imac refresh as they are sexy as hell and that display is great and an all in one and silent machine will be nice to have.

I have a house full of windows machines I built. Nothing against any of them.

But as the weeks go by and I wait for this refresh I sometimes get bored and start pricing out another PC build. So I have a wish list at newegg for a full system just waiting to be added to the cart. Not that my main system is a slouch but I could use another machine.

When you compare apples to apples instead of apples to oranges like most do when they make the price comparisons then the price is usually within 10%.

I'm more than willing to pay the extra money for hardware that has been tested thoroughly and has very rare issues when compared to mass market systems / built systems, the quality and looks of the enclosure or package, and I enjoy OSX. I don't have to fiddle with shit or worry about viruses/spyware - it just works.

We don't all need or want bleeding edge hardware. Give it a try, if you don't get why people move from building systems to a Mac after a week then return it, at least you gave it a shot which is more than can be said for most people out there that trash Apple products at every opportunity.

I have only used OSX a few times, how is it with stability hardware and software wise? I have never had a PC go out on me, but have had my fair share of bug fixing using every version of Windows, and Linux.

Stability software wise it's great, I never have issues and my uptimes are usually 30++ days, only seeing reboots on OSX updates that required a reboot... however, that being said I was getting 2-3 week uptimes back when I ran Windows systems 3-4 years ago but there was some noticible slowdown after that kind of time.

Hardware wise it's really nice to be able to sit back and just let everything do it's thing - no watching CPU temps or anything like that. Silence is golden too. I lost a couple of aftermarket HDDs over the years in my Macbook Pros and the time machine backups were life savers - simply pop in a new HDD, install OSX, and upon first boot it would migrate all of my old settings, files, and applications back over so I'd be staring at exactly what I'd been looking at before I lost the drive, right down to the same chrome tabs.

Also worth a note, the trackpad is the best in the business.

I have only used OSX a few times, how is it with stability hardware and software wise? I have never had a PC go out on me, but have had my fair share of bug fixing using every version of Windows, and Linux.

Apple fanboys will tell you that it's more stable than windows. I haven't seen that to be the case. Both OSX and Windows 7 are solid. On the same machine i'd say windows is slightly snappier and more responsive. But I also didn't get a stopwatch out and measure it.

I've had crashes on both, programs hang, etc. but I wouldn't say either stand out as being worse or better in that department. They are simply different.

Apple fanboys will tell you that it's more stable than windows. I haven't seen that to be the case. Both OSX and Windows 7 are solid. On the same machine i'd say windows is slightly snappier and more responsive. But I also didn't get a stopwatch out and measure it.

I've had crashes on both, programs hang, etc. but I wouldn't say either stand out as being worse or better in that department. They are simply different.
I'm about to experience Win7 for the first time on Friday - sold my 2010 MBP (Paid ~900 for it new after selling off the iPod for the deal / student discount, ended up getting $1k for it a year later) to cover bills until next semester and picked up a Lenovo X120E used w/ 4gb/Corsair F40. From everything I've heard Windows 7 is great, and a massive change from the WinXP days. Should be nice to see the changes.

I basically agree with that. Comparing just the OS I would say Windows 7 and 10.6.7 are pretty much equally stable. I wouldn't say the same thing about Vista and XP compared to their OSX counterparts.

Applications are different though. I give a significant advantage to applications on OSX. I have way fewer problems with third party applications written for OSX than I do with ones written for Windows.

Applications are different though. I give a significant advantage to applications on OSX. I have way fewer problems with third party applications written for OSX than I do with ones written for Windows.

Depends entirely on the app you are using of course. I've certainly used bad ones on both. I would probably give the edge to OSX but in my experience it's not by a huge margin.

I do appreciate the more consistent design themes of 3rd party apps in OSX.

And OSX does have what I would call probably the most underrated and under appreciated application of all time: automator. Just an amazing program.

Appearance..love Apple styling. That being said, I sold it (iPod) within a few months because I couldn't stand iTunes and felt I shouldn't have to Rockbox it.

I only own an iPhone. I bought it because i like the simplicity of IOS, the looks of the phone and it gives me all that i look for in a phone.
I use a Macbook Pro at work (as well as Windows laptop) because i need to administer Xserves and Mac Pros that were put i place before i started.

i only own an iphone. I love games and that why i bought one , cause its the best handheld phones for games.

Im also looking to buy a MBP for the hardware.

I don't and NEVER will....none of their stuff. Phones, comps, I-whatevers.....

After doing warranty work for them for a decade (not just them...all OEM's) I lost respect for them. Super slow to get me parts with no apologies for the customer. You had better leave near a Apple store IMO.

One of the magazines I respect (maximum PC) just said the xoom was better than the Ipad too so that was good news.....as if I ever doubted it though....

I bought the iPad and the mid-2010 MBP because at the time of purchase I felt they were the best products for me.

I was very anti-Apple up until about 7 or 8 months ago.

I was tired of tweaking around with my Android phone constantly and the lack of apps so I decided to give the iPhone a whirl. I rarely have to mess around with my iPhone and the App selection is pretty insane.

I ended up buying a MBP to replace a $600 2 year old laptop that was falling apart. When I was shopping around I wasn't looking for a Mac, I was looking for the specs I wanted. I couldn't find them in a PC for a reasonable price so I went with a MBP.

Recently I picked up an iPad 2. I had been wanting a tablet for a long time to accompany my locked down work laptop when I travel. I went with the iPad over other tablets for the same reason I like my iPhone over Android: Less tinkering and more apps.

Everyone says Apple is expensive, and you have to replace it every year when the refresh hits. Apple may seem expensive when you factor in hardware specs only, but if you look at the entire package (form, build, battery, screen, etc.) you'll see that the price is very reasonable. Apple only refreshes their hardware about once a year. HTC comes out with a new top of the line Android phone every month or 2. A new Dell laptop comes out every other day. Do you buy a new phone or laptop every couple days? Probably not.. you use what you have until you need to upgrade.

Also, Apple products aren't locked down anymore than anything else.

So I guess it comes down to personal preference.
(I love my PC)

I just hate it when people, who consider themselves as "Experts" in computers, accuse Apple customers to be stupid and dumb...

Where did you get the idea about people having to know a "LOT" about computers. The reason why they are not "Experts" in computers is simply because they are "Experts" in other things in life, which may be more important than being a computer geek....

I'm looking at laptops right now, and while I do find the MBP price a bit hard to swallow, I simple can't find a comparable PC laptop (looking at the 15"). The combination of thin enough, great battery life, great trackpad, and great (read: 1680x1050) screen just isn't found anywhere else. The closest I've found is the HP Envy 14, but they stopped making the high resolution screen.

I also found that I really like OSX, I got my wife a 13" MBP last year and it's a great machine.

The previews of Final Cut X also put me over the edge. I'm a video editor and if just a few of those new features work as advertised, it will cut huge amounts of time off of my editing process.

I think the OP has made a lot of assumptions but I'm going to toss in my two cents. OS X is a different OS, so that's why adjusting to it takes time, just like sitting down in front of Windows 7 if you've used OS X or Linux for a long time. (And OS X has more in common with *nix then Windows) There's some features I like a lot about it and I find the interface tweaks are more readily available.

I have more issues with hardware manufacturers then I do with Microsoft. I have OS X and XP machines in my home and I enjoy Windows 7 at work. I find it hard for someone who's not a hobbyist or a tech to go out and pick a good computer. I would only buy a desktop if I built it myself and earlier this year I found it hard to find a laptop that I really liked. Design means more then just making it look pretty, it means good build quality with an attention to detail and it also means having a battery that will get you through the day. (Without having to carry around a big thick 9-cell battery) My MacBook Pro is light enough but powerful enough for everything I need. I run virtual machines for some of my classes, things like Server 2008 and some clients.

I feel like a lot of the PC manufacturers are racing to be the cheapest because they think that's all they can compete on, so what happens to the products they make? Loud fans that throttle up and down, questionable build quality, keyboards that break off. A ton of third party software to make it look like a big value, why do we see five star reviews on NewEgg that then say "Only buy this if you uninstall this, this, this, this and this." How come all of the models come plastered with demo stickers? (Rhetorical, I know it's so the store can put it on display easily but still..)

I'm getting close to Dennis Miller rant level here so I'll back down.. like I said, I'm not against using Windows and I support mixed environments but I don't like many of the hardware manufacturers out there. I do like Apple a lot but I'm a fan boy of good design and usability more then anything.

As far as upgrading, there's always new technology coming out regardless of who makes it. You can always have your conspiracy theory about features being held back to sell future products.. what you own right now is still going to run just fine. I thought it was neat when the new MBPs came out with Thunderbolt and I thought it was going to help push the industry towards new technology. I dont care that my model doesn't have it. I plan on using this laptop for years, eventually upgrading the RAM and the HD to SSD.

Choosing the right computer totally depends on your needs, OS preferences, budget and skill level. I wanted a nice portable and I wanted to try out a new OS. I'd only recommend PCs to family/friends when I can help them pick something out.

They're not for me. The hardware is great but the software and the company itself - not so much.

I've used OSX and can testify that it is no more or less stable/fast than Windows 7 (or previous versions of Windows). I don't like the interface that much, and I've given myself plenty of time to get used to it.

The you get what you pay for arguments are only partially valid - you still pay quite a premium for Apple products and despite all of the hype they fail and have issues just as often as PCs.

I follow the line of thinking that you should buy and use the technology that works for you as a product that is great for you may not be great for someone else. For many people Apple products are the optimal solution.

It was a slow progression. My first computer was an Apple IIc. The rest have been windows pcs. The next Apple I purchased was an iPod video. At the time, the competition was still lagging behind. I hate iTunes but iPod works like a champ. This led to my next Apple purchase, a shuffle. I use it was some earbuds while working on the lawn.

Preparing for an overseas trip, I realized the advantage of a tablet PC (entertainment, guidebooks, music, internet, email, picture storage, etc in one small item). Apple was first to market and the initial competition just couldn't compare. The decision was easy. The iPad just works.

Now that I have an iPad and have decided to move away from Blackberry, I have decided on an iPhone for my next phone. Blackberry is lagging behind and while Android gives you more options, I want a phone that just works rather than worrying about app compatibility. I spend enough time fighting with my PC's/network at home and don't want the same in a mobile product. Also, apps and data from my iPad should play friendly with an iPhone (interoperability).

I have also put my parents on the Apple path. It eats up enough of my time working on my own PC issues that I don't need more from my family. Both of my parents have moved to iPhones and with the death of a Windows laptop my dad will be moving to an iMac and plans to purchase an iPad at the same time. He has no issue signing up for Applecare and enjoys going down to talk to the Genuises.

My first apple product was a unibody MBP almost 3 yrs ago.Its still running rocksolid as promised. I had used dell,HP and gateway before that and all of them sucked big time. Hot,heavy and turned out to be junk in no time.I knew i payed Premium for an apple but will never ever buy a non apple laptop.Now that I am used to the touchpad ...I hate borrowing one without it from my family even to browse.

Apple has good products and bad products depending upon your needs. For my needs a Imac or Mac pro would be a bad product. My desktop is personally built and 95% for gaming.I would continue to build my own desktops[windows based].But when it comes to mobile computing I plan to stick to apple.One program that I absolutely love is keynote[PP is pathetic comparitively]
They are not the best at their hardware[specs for the money] or their Software[not universal] but they integrate them so better than others that the final product is a dream to work with[if it suits your needs].You just need to be careful not to fall for their advertisement.I have a droid X and it suits my needs fine.I dont need a mobile computer on my cell phone.My FIL has an Iphone 4 and I am sure its more user friendly than my droid. But I wont buy an Iphone for personal reasons.

Back