• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Why do I keep turning left in fps games?

Prozac1964

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
309
Hi everyone, it seems that no matter what game I play, from Fallout 3 to FEAR to Unreal Tournament 2004 I keep slowly edging my mouse from the perfect center position (straight forward) to the left, until after a few minutes I'm starting to bump my frickin' keyboard, then I have to pick up or turn my mouse back to center. :eek: :mad:

I have a Logitech G500. Anyone know what this lefty action might indicate and how I can fix it? :confused:

Any help would be awesome! Prozac :)
 
This may not help you, but my friend watching me play CS 1.6 back in the day let me know I pick up and slam down my mouse a lot, and also violently wipe hand sweat on my chest w/o realizing it. I do weird stuff subconsciously

So maybe have someone watch you play.
 
This may not help you, but my friend watching me play CS 1.6 back in the day let me know I pick up and slam down my mouse a lot, and also violently wipe hand sweat on my chest w/o realizing it. I do weird stuff subconsciously

So maybe have someone watch you play.

Good idea, then take steps to correct it.

I do a similar thing, moving to the left. It is less pronounced with gaming than normal desktop driving though.
 
do you sit straight on with your monitor or sit off the left or right of it? could also be the way your sitting, or how low/high to your desk height you sit. due to the unnatural position your arm or hand moves. could also just be the way you hold your mouse.

i've found my sitting height has a big effect on what i do with my mouse.
 
Last edited:
Maybe your hand has a mind if its own and is retarded. Perhaps you need my $500 hand retraction system.
 
Maybe your hand has a mind if its own and is retarded. Perhaps you need my $500 hand retraction system.

Lawlz ... thanks for the help everyone. I sit up straight directly in front of my monitor. I don't know what the problem is...I'll keep searching and keep the ideas coming. Id really like to correct this. :):D
 
hmm... very strange. Is your mouse calibrated to the direct center. Oh wait thats a steering wheel.

You know what they say in Nascar "keep turning left" (or you'll hit the wall).:confused:
 
game-setup2.jpg


Get a G13 and move your mouse right in front of you.
 
It is natural for a right handed person to pull their mouse to the left. It is harder to "push" right than to "pull" left, so you are probably not adjusting back.
 
It is natural for a right handed person to pull their mouse to the left. It is harder to "push" right than to "pull" left, so you are probably not adjusting back.

This is it...I noticed that the human wrist (right handed) could turn left much further and faster than it could turn right.....if you are just using your wrist like a pivot to point your mouse in whatever direction. So what I've been doing is slowly inching it left and then leaving it there, until I bump my keyboard then I would correct it.;):eek:

Can you tell I'm picky about my gaming setup...lol.:D

Epic photo above btw....what's a G13:confused:
 
The G13 is the keypad next to my mousepad.
 
This is it...I noticed that the human wrist (right handed) could turn left much further and faster than it could turn right.....if you are just using your wrist like a pivot to point your mouse in whatever direction. So what I've been doing is slowly inching it left and then leaving it there, until I bump my keyboard then I would correct it.;):eek:

Can you tell I'm picky about my gaming setup...lol.:D

Epic photo above btw....what's a G13:confused:

cant say i have this issue myself, i can move either way fast it seems, could be i play too many darn games!
 
You are zoolander?

Do you claw grip?

Indeed I am zoolander...lol. No I don't claw grip, I just rest my palm on the mouse. I don't know why I keep ending up too far to the left.

I heard Nascar drivers are using Logitech G500 mice to steer their cars now. :cool::D
 
Along the lines of the G13 suggestion, a tenkeyless keyboard like the Filcos or Nopoo Choc Minis would give you a little more room.
 
You may have your mouse too far away from the natural fall point of your arm. Thus, your arm naturally wants to pull in toward the body to get to it's natural position. This tends to happen to smaller people (with shorter arms) but can also happen to normal/larger people, especially if you have a larger than normal keyboard (say a G15 or something similar) Try this:

Sit where you normally sit in relation to your monitor, and move your mouse/keyboard back toward your monitor and out of the way. With your elbows bent at a 90 degree angle and your shoulders relaxed (upper arms touching your sides) , hold your hands over your desk. Now relax your arms and let them fall. They should be around a 90 degree angle from your body. That's your natural fall point. Just position the center of your mousepad where your right hand fell, and move the keyboard over accordingly.

If that doesn't work, then you might have a more pronounced pull than most people. If that's the case, a G13 and a more centralized position for your mousepad is probably your best bet. That way when your mouse is centered, your right arm is closer to a 45 degree angle from your body, and closer to where it seems to want to go. I've even seen people do this to the extreme that their mousepad buts up against their chest. Just figure out what works best for you and go with it.

All I got
 
My number one sin playing CS, back in the days, was crouching every time I met an enemy. Took a long time to get out of that crippling habit. But now, the problem is, I never crouch.
 
Big Desk, Big mousepad.... $100 or so, maybe cheaper if you buy used.

Otherwise, instead of have some wierdo watch you to see why do you it... you can use a $20 webcam and have it watch 24/7 with much better "info" on what you're doing :)
 
Or. why not put the mousemat on an angle tipping right? Would counteract the lean with gravity.
 
This is it...I noticed that the human wrist (right handed) could turn left much further and faster than it could turn right.....

"Human wrist"? Did you also take the chimp wrist into account? :p

This is accurate. Your musculatur is stronger ("easier) when moving your arm inwards since you can use larger muscle group.
 
Just be thankful you're an ambiturner. Some of us aren't so fortunate.
 
Sounds like a tenkeyless keyboard might help (missing the numberpad), it makes it so your keyboard hand and mouse hand are closer together.
 
Probably the same reason that I turn my keyboard without realizing it while playing FPS's, sometimes making it almost vertical in relation to the surface.
 
By chance, do you have a controller plugged in? 360? Logitech? Or otherwise?

I've had times where when a Madcatz 360 controller was plugged in, it would always move the view in the leftward direction. Similarly, I've even had a genuine 360 controller on the floor with the analog sticks pushed down slightly, which caused the camera to move upward. :p
 
I have another theory for this phenomen. Is your dick banana shaped and pointing to the left? There is your answer :D Lay off from playing with yourself for 1-2 weeks and see how immediately you will naturally centre your mouse..... :p
 
If you sit directly in front of the monitor, and also have the keyboard directly in front of the monitor, this is probably the most likely cause. I have a wide enough desk that I have my keyboard slightly more to the left. It's ideal for gaming this way, but typing I just noticed for the first time that I have to lean left a bit to touch type properly.
 
If you sit directly in front of the monitor, and also have the keyboard directly in front of the monitor, this is probably the most likely cause. I have a wide enough desk that I have my keyboard slightly more to the left. It's ideal for gaming this way, but typing I just noticed for the first time that I have to lean left a bit to touch type properly.

I do sit directly in front of my monitor, but like a lot of gamers, my keyboard gets shoved to left. I'd say the keyboard is offset about 5 inches to the left. My mouse pad is flush up against the end of the keyboard.
 
Back
Top