Why did YOU choose AMD for your processor?

Need to get a pcie 4.0 card, lol. Mayb not worth the cost unless you have some great hardware and networking equipment. Yeah, I do more compiling nowadays than gaming. I went from i5-3450 to 1600, probably see what zen3 has and either get something in the 4000 series or a cheaper 3000 when prices come down.

No pcie-e 4.0 on x370....And 3Gbit/s is good enough for me rightn ow. My other option is dropping it in the x16 slot & cutting my gpu to x8...no thanks.

No pcie-e 4.0 on x370....And 3Gbit/s is good enough for me rightn ow. My other option is dropping it in the x16 slot & cutting my gpu to x8...no thanks.
Ahhh, completely missed/overlooked the x370 part. Yeah, I'm still rocking 1gbe until prices come down some more... Could use it as I transfer files to/from my server pretty often, and I can get close to 1GB/s from my RAID and my NVME can sustain that also. Was looking gen looking into infiniband at one point, but distance and cable runs through/under the house, not worth it for now. Right now my speeds are network limited to around 100MB/s (1Gbit/s). One day, lol.

Ahhh, completely missed/overlooked the x370 part. Yeah, I'm still rocking 1gbe until prices come down some more... Could use it as I transfer files to/from my server pretty often, and I can get close to 1GB/s from my RAID and my NVME can sustain that also. Was looking gen looking into infiniband at one point, but distance and cable runs through/under the house, not worth it for now. Right now my speeds are network limited to around 100MB/s (1Gbit/s). One day, lol.

If you really want > 1Gbit/s you should look into the cheap mikrotik switchs. CRS305 I think is 4 10Gbit ethernet SFP+ ports for $135'ish street price. I've bought 10Gbit sfps in bulk for under $5 each. and multimode fiber is pretty cheap as well. You can also sometimes buy 1-2 meter dac cables for $10-$15. 10Gbit isn't all that pricey these days if you are careful.

If you really want > 1Gbit/s you should look into the cheap mikrotik switchs. CRS305 I think is 4 10Gbit ethernet SFP+ ports for $135'ish street price. I've bought 10Gbit sfps in bulk for under $5 each. and multimode fiber is pretty cheap as well. You can also sometimes buy 1-2 meter dac cables for $10-$15. 10Gbit isn't all that pricey these days if you are careful.
My issue is my server and desktops require like ~60' runs... Plus I have 6 desktops and my server although not everyone uses the network shares as much as I do. I have looked into a few things l, just haven't settled on anything. Figure the longer I hold off the more options I will have. My other issue is my desktop is ITX, no extra pcie slots, so I'd need a USB adapter of sorts. It's just messy to even go down any route, lol. If/when I get serious I'll probably find an itx board with 10gbe (or at least 2.5/5gb) so I don't need to figure out a crap way to install it. Im looking at upgrading 2-3 desktops and my server in the next year, so far may start finding parts with multi gig built in.

Back