Why can't I disable NUMA?

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
2FA
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
14,572
Any time I disable numa, my SR2 goes into a BIOS reset loop. It resets. The LCD shows a few codes, then it resets again, ad infinitum.

I'm using A41 BIOS.
2x E5640 B0 stepping ES

Same behavior regardless of what settings I use it seems. I have tried it at:
-Bone stock default speeds
-21x191, RAM at 1066 (folding stable)
-21x191, RAM at 800

Am I missing something?
 
Firstly, and I think I speak for all of us, go f*ck yourself.;)

Secondly, try loosening MCH to 1600, memory timings 10%, 2T command rate or so and see if you can boot. Might have to experiment with Back To Back CAS delay too, although not ideal.

When you say stock, is this load optimised defaults, or just turning down to 133 baseclock?

And worth flashing A50 on one of your 3 chips as an experiment.
 
I agree the A50 bio may be a start. I have my ram at 1066 and it is also folding stable, but am able to turn off NUMA.

 
I use A47 as my primary BIOS, and have no trouble disabling NUMA with it. When I was using the A50 BIOS, my frame times on a 2685 increased by over two minutes per frame. :(
 
Firstly, and I think I speak for all of us, go f*ck yourself.;)
no no no. I think you are confused. This is all Tobit's fault
Secondly, try loosening MCH to 1600, memory timings 10%, 2T command rate or so and see if you can boot. Might have to experiment with Back To Back CAS delay too, although not ideal.

When you say stock, is this load optimised defaults, or just turning down to 133 baseclock?
Stock means optimized defaults.

On my attempts while at overclocked settings, command rate is already at 2T. Also, with the RAM manually forced down to 800mhz (while the timings remained at stable settings for 1066mhz) I wouldn't think RAM timings would be much of a problem.
And worth flashing A50 on one of your 3 chips as an experiment.
I think I have the modded A47 flashed onto one of my chips. I think BIOS version experiments are my next move.
 
I'm not sure what the difference is, but I have never had a problem disabling NUMA. It works the same on or off.
Speaking of Bios's I found that I'm getting the best TPF's on A49. I get 17:12 (6900wu) on A49 and 17:35 on A50. All settings identical.
 
I had LOCO LAPTOP's A49 flashed to one of my BIOS chips so I gave that a shot.

Loaded optimized defaults
Set RAM at 8-8-8-15 2T
RAM to 800mhz
1.65v
MCH to 1600mhz

All other settings left at optimized default.

Exact same reboot cycle behavior.
 
Frustrating! What type/quantity of RAM do you have? With 2T, you have 6 DIMMs per CPU? Have you tried 3 per CPU?
 
nope only 3x2gb per CPU

Corsair XMS3 CM3X2G1600C8
 
Although it may be pointless for folding, have you tried with just 1 DIMM per CPU?
 
I haven't.

I'm beginning to wonder though if there isn't something different about these particular CPUs that the MCH just can't handle disabling NUMA. It seems most other people have zero problems with it.
 
I am with Punchy on one stick per CPU, then 2 sticks per CPU. You aren't going to like this, but I think it is one or more bad memory modules. I say this with 16Gb of OCZ Gold heading to the trash after hours of testing each module, buying more memory, testing some more, buying more memory...you get the idea. The first symptom was F@H crashes (not system crashes), then no-boot situations without a bios reset with NUMA disabled. Enabling NUMA can cover bad memory modules. Disabling it brings them to the forefront.
 
Let me guess on the bios codes....
0C then 2A then CLICK restart. :rolleyes:

Have the same problem myself.
Speaking of f*ck....f*ck disabling NUMA. :p

I don't recall whether I've tried it on STOCK everything, I think I have.
I seriously wonder if some SR-2's are just shit for NUMA. Makes no sense that some people can disable it with 0 effort yet others can't get it disabled no matter what bios revision they have or what setting they tweak. Doesn't matter, they get the reboot cycle. I made a thread at EVGA about this and had several people reply they have the same problem and cannot get it disabled.
 
Have we done a poll - are all these cannot disable numa problems with L5640/39s?
 
I see the same thing (BIOS reset loop when NUMA disabled) on one of my SR-2s. I haven't debugged it yet.

I agree that it seems to be related to RAM instead of CPU. My L5640 system has NUMA disabled with no issues, but the X5650 system won't boot when NUMA is disabled. I hope it's not bad RAM, but I'll try to do some more testing.
 
Back
Top