Why buy the PS3 premium?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
There is news that the PS3 hard-drive is not protected and can be swapped out to a larger drive with absolutely no modification - just plug and play. So the 60GB vs. 20GB issue is moot....20GB should be adequate anyway...It's too small Xbox360 should have used larger too, but then again I've got a launch day xbox360 and 20GB drive is easy enough to keep free - you just delete demos after you play them. My entire games library with all the extra free content downloads is only about 1GB. The rest is all video's and demo downloads....so 20GB isn't really even an issue.

Lack of Wifi isn't really that big of a deal because most people use ethernet for better transfers anyway at least with Xbox360 and Windows Media center for HD movies I've found the wireless transfers to be too slow...and if you still want wireless you can buy a linksys wireless B gaming reciever box that works well for games for 25 bucks new.....picks up wifi signals and outputs to cat5.

The card reader? meh...I don't have any need for this and I can't see it to be a big selling point since you'll be transfering stuff from your computer mostly anyway?

So since both units now have the blue-ray player -----Why spend 600 instead of 400?

Am I missing something?

Archaea said:
There is news that the PS3 hard-drive is not protected and can be swapped out to a larger drive with absolutely no modification - just plug and play. So the 60GB vs. 20GB issue is moot....20GB should be adequate anyway...It's too small Xbox360 should have used larger too, but then again I've got a launch day xbox360 and 20GB drive is easy enough to keep free - you just delete demos after you play them. My entire games library with all the extra free content downloads is only about 1GB. The rest is all video's and demo downloads....so 20GB isn't really even an issue.

Lack of Wifi isn't really that big of a deal because most people use ethernet for better transfers anyway at least with Xbox360 and Windows Media center for HD movies I've found the wireless transfers to be too slow...and if you still want wireless you can buy a linksys wireless B gaming reciever box that works well for games for 25 bucks new.....picks up wifi signals and outputs to cat5.

The card reader? meh...I don't have any need for this and I can't see it to be a big selling point since you'll be transfering stuff from your computer mostly anyway?

So since both units now have the blue-ray player -----Why spend 600 instead of 400?

Am I missing something?
It's not a $200 difference.

It's $599 vs $499. $100 gets you a hard drive that's 3 times as big, a multi-card reader, chrome trim, and built-in WiFi.

Archaea said:

Am I missing something?

Well, I am pretty sure modding the hard-drive voids the warranty, so that would be an issue for some people. Also, I don't agree that 20gb is enough, there are a lot of demos I liked to keep around on my 360 but had no intention of ever buying the game. Plus, ripping CD libraries into it can eat up space as well.

Add to this that the PS3 looks to have a lot more support for downloadable content than the 360 (with the native linux environment and all) and that 20 gigs in the base system (or even the 60 gigs in the premium) could get eaten up fast.

The card reader is a must have for saving games/files and being able to take them over to someone else's place to play (export a Madden team, a saved fighting game file with all of the characters unlocked, etc). Plus, flash memory is a lot more dense and a lot cheaper per megabyte than memory cards. I have around seven or eight PS2 8mb memory cards laying around, at at $40 a pop I could have had gigabyes upon gigabyes of flash memory for the same price.

The PS3 Premium also has the HDMI port, and while the regular one still supports full resolution over component for now, time will tell if you eventually will need the HDMI for blu-ray movie playback. Also, HDMI does give you a higher quality connection than can run longer distances, give less wire clutter, and is cheaper (for the cable) than component.

The Wi-Fi isn't a big deal for me as I don't have a Wi-Fi network set up, but I know for some people it is a big deal.

Overall, for only $100 more the extra features seem more than worth it.

NulloModo said:
The PS3 Premium also has the HDMI port, and while the regular one still supports full resolution over component for now, time will tell if you eventually will need the HDMI for blu-ray movie playback.
You're a little out of touch. The core has HDMI as well now, oh and swapping the HDD does not void warranty. It's pretty much built to be easy to do.

I don't think the premium is worth the extra but the market will speak.

NulloModo said:
Well, I am pretty sure modding the hard-drive voids the warranty, so that would be an issue for some people. Also, I don't agree that 20gb is enough, there are a lot of demos I liked to keep around on my 360 but had no intention of ever buying the game. Plus, ripping CD libraries into it can eat up space as well.

Add to this that the PS3 looks to have a lot more support for downloadable content than the 360 (with the native linux environment and all) and that 20 gigs in the base system (or even the 60 gigs in the premium) could get eaten up fast.

The card reader is a must have for saving games/files and being able to take them over to someone else's place to play (export a Madden team, a saved fighting game file with all of the characters unlocked, etc). Plus, flash memory is a lot more dense and a lot cheaper per megabyte than memory cards. I have around seven or eight PS2 8mb memory cards laying around, at at $40 a pop I could have had gigabyes upon gigabyes of flash memory for the same price.

The PS3 Premium also has the HDMI port, and while the regular one still supports full resolution over component for now, time will tell if you eventually will need the HDMI for blu-ray movie playback. Also, HDMI does give you a higher quality connection than can run longer distances, give less wire clutter, and is cheaper (for the cable) than component.

The Wi-Fi isn't a big deal for me as I don't have a Wi-Fi network set up, but I know for some people it is a big deal.

Overall, for only $100 more the extra features seem more than worth it.
Wow you are mis-informed.

1.) Replacing the HDD does not void the warranty of the system. (Sony however will not warranty the new HDD but that's expected)

2.) Both models have HDMI.

Edit: Damnit Psychotext beat me.

PS: I think the Premium is worth it. Getting a 60gb HDD (although if you're going to buy one you should get larger), Getting a card reader, and Getting an external wi-fi thing added up aren't going to be much cheaper than the Premium model. Also, it's nice that all of those things are inside. I don't want a clusterfuck of peripherals sitting around the system.

VoodooChi|d said:
Wow you are mis-informed.

1.) Replacing the HDD does not void the warranty of the system. (Sony however will not warranty the new HDD but that's expected)

2.) Both models have HDMI.

Edit: Damnit Psychotext beat me.

PS: I think the Premium is worth it. Getting a 60gb HDD (although if you're going to buy one you should get larger), Getting a card reader, and Getting an external wi-fi thing added up aren't going to be much cheaper than the Premium model. Also, it's nice that all of those things are inside. I don't want a clusterfuck of peripherals sitting around the system.

Ah, sorry, last I heard the basic system didn't have the HDMI, they must have changed that recently (I have been without internet access for the past week or two due to moving). Nice to know that both systems are equipped though, it will be better for Blu-Ray becoming the dominant standard for HD movies.

my router is in a different part of my house, and i cant run an ethernet cord through the hallways, so i need the wifi feature that the 20gig doesnt have

To tell you the truth its going to be virtually impossible to get one regardless of which model it is, so who cares which one? I mean I guess if we are talking about picking one out next year when supply is plenty sure, but now I don't think anyone can be picky on whether its a 20gb or 60gb.

And the 100 dollar difference? That wont help now considering the only way you will be able to get one from now until next year is paying over 1000 on ebay (or camping/harrassing stores).

For me, I dont care if its 20gb or 60gb model, I just need one period. :D

JBRIDER ---- wifi is still an option for you.

This can be found for 25 bucks on sale from time to time and it's what i'm using works fine for games on xbox360, not good for using media connect (B = 11mbs), but perfectly fine with no lag in gaming.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Linksys_WGA11B_Wireless_B_Game_Adapter/q/loc/101/10351885.html

here is a search on froogle,
it is only $16 at the cheapest store - good alternative to the xbox360's $99 dollar wifi card.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Linksys+WGA11B&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=online&scoring=p

Archaea said:
JBRIDER ---- wifi is still an option for you.

This can be found for 25 bucks on sale from time to time and it's what i'm using works fine for games on xbox360, not good for using media connect (B = 11mbs), but perfectly fine with no lag in gaming.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Linksys_WGA11B_Wireless_B_Game_Adapter/q/loc/101/10351885.html

here is a search on froogle,
it is only $16 at the cheapest store - good alternative to the xbox360's $99 dollar wifi card.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Linksys+WGA11B&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=online&scoring=p

appreciate that, i would really like to have it all inside the ps3 tho, plus i really want the card readers, the eb i pre ordered from said they were originally getting 8 but after the recent decrease in systems their now only getting 6, 4 of which are 60's and 2 are 20's, i was third in the pre order line, but the guy said their doin first come first serve for pre orders on friday, so i still gotta get up there early, i think i have a pretty good chance of getting the 60...HOPEFULLY i can get it

worst comes to worst you could buy one of these for 20 bucks and have your card readers on the budget unit

http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=78

....that being said - if you want the premium, that's cool...it just seems to me that they didn't put enough features on it to warrant the extra hundred bucks....... The extra features that have value amount to the chrome dvd drive plate in my opinion. :rolleyes:

But, best of luck to you!

JR_Rider said:
my router is in a different part of my house, and i cant run an ethernet cord through the hallways, so i need the wifi feature that the 20gig doesnt have

If you have enough phone lines in your home, you can switch them over to network with another room.

I think the biggest issues are that the games are loading slow unless you preload lots onto the HD. I think RR7 uses like 5GB. That would eat up a 20 pretty fast. Also, though upgradable the HD is a SATA notebook drive so they aren't terribly cheap.

Doesn't the security tape have to be broken to get to the HDD? Cause if that is the case, I would expect the warantee to be non-existent.

friedchicken said:
Doesn't the security tape have to be broken to get to the HDD? Cause if that is the case, I would expect the warantee to be non-existent.
there is no security tape or sticker for the hard drive slot. infact the ps3 manual tells you how to do it.

Bad_Boy said:
there is no security tape or sticker for the hard drive slot. infact the ps3 manual tells you how to do it.
Yep, I'd have to assume its basically identical to the Expansion Bay in the PS2, no warranty voiding involved.

brentsg said:
I think the biggest issues are that the games are loading slow unless you preload lots onto the HD. I think RR7 uses like 5GB. That would eat up a 20 pretty fast. Also, though upgradable the HD is a SATA notebook drive so they aren't terribly cheap.

Does PS3 work differently than Xbox360 in this way?

Xbox360 doesn't put game content permantly on the drive outside of save games, downloadable content, and things you choose to place there.

Just running a game for instance doesn't eat up space on the drive.........

I would be surprised if it does - since the blue ray is supposed to read much faster than DVD and the loading shouldn't be a problem.

Archaea said:
I would be surprised if it does - since the blue ray is supposed to read much faster than DVD and the loading shouldn't be a problem.
Incorrect my good man. The blu-ray is a 2x speed drive which reads the same speed as the minimum speed of the 12x dvd drive in the 360.

Blu-ray 2x: 8MBps
12x DVD: 8.2 - 16.5MBps

Plus you have the problem of the extra data. Oh, and yes, putting things on the HDD is (as far as I'm aware) optional. Would be a mess if you installed 4 games and wiped out your drive.

Seems Arcachea is full of misinfo.

"Why buy a PS3 Premium?"

Bottom line for me is, because i can.

The one feature that you can't add to the base PS3 unit is the WiFi to PSP functionality such as Remote Play as it only works with the built-in WiFi of the premium unit.

4saken said:
Seems Arcachea is full of misinfo.

"Why buy a PS3 Premium?"

Bottom line for me is, because i can.

hey...did you read this thread?

I was misinformed on one thing..........that the blueray read the same speed or slower than DVD.

Which I can't remember where i read that, but whatever....

Everything else I said is true and proven so by other posters...it's be a preference upgrade to buy the premium at this point to keep everything interenal.

squeezee said:
The one feature that you can't add to the base PS3 unit is the WiFi to PSP functionality such as Remote Play as it only works with the built-in WiFi of the premium unit.

Well, most of the functionality should be the same regardless if the PSP is connected via the mini-USB connection or the Wifi connection. It'll be awkward, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Anyway, who says it's only for the built in model? I'd think any wifi addon should work just fine. Unless you have some specific information stating otherwise.

---
I'd get the 60GB version anyway. For $100, the harddrive and wifi upgrades seem reasonable. Much more elegant solution anyway.

Archaea said:
Which I can't remember where i read that, but whatever....
There's a whole lot of !!!!!!s posting a whole lot of crap on all sides. I don't blame people for being confused. Which is why it's good that there's sad bastages like me that try to know all the details on all the consoles! :D

Psychotext said:
Incorrect my good man. The blu-ray is a 2x speed drive which reads the same speed as the minimum speed of the 12x dvd drive in the 360.

Blu-ray 2x: 8MBps
12x DVD: 8.2 - 16.5MBps

Plus you have the problem of the extra data. Oh, and yes, putting things on the HDD is (as far as I'm aware) optional. Would be a mess if you installed 4 games and wiped out your drive.

I guess what does make sense is that at 1x speeds blue ray is over 3x's as fast as DVD. Thing is DVD's currently read at 12x on Xbox360 and blue ray will only be 2x on PS3.

FROM BLUE RAY's SITE

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_speed

How fast can you read/write data on a Blu-ray disc?

According to the Blu-ray Disc specification, 1x speed is defined as 36Mbps. However, as BD-ROM movies will require a 54Mbps data transfer rate the minimum speed we're expecting to see is 2x (72Mbps). Blu-ray also has the potential for much higher speeds, as a result of the larger numerical aperture (NA) adopted by Blu-ray Disc. The large NA value effectively means that Blu-ray will require less recording power and lower disc rotation speed than DVD and HD-DVD to achieve the same data transfer rate. While the media itself limited the recording speed in the past, the only limiting factor for Blu-ray is the capacity of the hardware. If we assume a maximum disc rotation speed of 10,000 RPM, then 12x at the outer diameter should be possible (about 400Mbps). This is why the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) already has plans to raise the speed to 8x (288Mbps) or more in the future.

I think the Wifi and the card reader make it worth it, the hard drive is just a bonus. My only gripe is that it's chrome, I hate chrome.

Archaea said:
I guess what does make sense is that at 1x speeds blue ray is over 3x's as fast as DVD. Thing is DVD's currently read at 12x on Xbox360 and blue ray will only be 2x on PS3.
See my next post...

I've just realised what you got wrong. You quoted Megabits per second, not MegaBytes per second (which is what I was using). See the big capital B in my MBps? :p

On a different note, that site is really sneaky. Who honestly uses bps these days when describing transfer rates! FUD!

PikachuMan said:
Well, most of the functionality should be the same regardless if the PSP is connected via the mini-USB connection or the Wifi connection. It'll be awkward, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Anyway, who says it's only for the built in model? I'd think any wifi addon should work just fine. Unless you have some specific information stating otherwise.

---
I'd get the 60GB version anyway. For $100, the harddrive and wifi upgrades seem reasonable. Much more elegant solution anyway.

The PS3s manual says it.

"This feature is available only on PS3™ systems that are equipped with the wireless LAN feature."

The PS3 lacks support for USB WiFi adaptors so unless they either add support for them or enable remote play over ethernet you still need the premium for it.

squeezee said:
Alas due to the fact that the wifi will not be in all ps3s (read as not all ps3 can hook up with psps) you will probably get the same style of integration that the gba got with the gamecube.

Back