• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Why bother overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and every 200mhz might be 5-7% in noticable performance gain? It equals out to the price. Not really worth the time or money. If you get stable overclocks, great i dont care. In my experience, overclocking is more or less a pointless waste of time. Because it negatively affects my applied applications
 
owning an intel system with an intel motherboard, i don't OC ;)

owning an intel notebook, i underclock ;)

owning a 6600GT w/Zalman VF700Cu, i overclock. ;)

i still have to volt mod my 6600GT to break the core barrier of 575MHz, must go higher!
 
RegisteredToPost said:
and every 200mhz might be 5-7% in noticable performance gain? It equals out to the price. Not really worth the time or money. If you get stable overclocks, great i dont care. In my experience, overclocking is more or less a pointless waste of time. Because it negatively affects my applied applications
Umm, try 10% performance gain.

200mhz = 10% of 2000mhz

Or if your stock clock speed is 1000mhz, its actually a 20% increase

All depends on the stock clockspeed, but you probably didnt think of that either
 
I got the CPU in my rig, Mobile XP 2600 2Ghz for 80 bucks. Overclocked it to 2.6Ghz. Faster than anything you could buy back then (XP 3200 2.4Ghz was the fastest for $400). It still hangs in there with current offerings available today. So, overclocking saved me $320 right from the start and has allowed me to not have to upgrade even two years later.
 
paintb4707 said:
Or how about this one, did you ever think to make a thread asking **why** your overclock became unstable instead of ranting about how useless it is because of your own stupid mistakes?

I get way more replies this way. It seems everyone took offence to my thread title. It was more or less an exaderation. My own stupid mistakes? hurr?
 
hmmm 2.8 Ghz hasn't failed anything i've thrown at it yet.

2.jpg

40% overclock... can i FEEL the difference? I can feel, see, and practically smell the difference, and the smell is sweet and gratifying.

And then there's my 3000+ Venice. Clocked at this speed, this baby would knock over any F57 no probs. And for like 1/8 the price. Overclocking is great.

OCCT-stable-2964.jpg


So you ask "why bother overclocking." My question is: why start this thread?? We're hardcore.
 
RegisteredToPost said:
I get way more replies this way. It seems everyone took offence to my thread title. It was more or less an exaderation. My own stupid mistakes? hurr?

Exaduration?

Seems to me your ranting about overclocking being useless simply because your own experience was a failure.
 
1. It's fun
2. I can blow the door's off an FX-57 which is about 5 times the cost of my CPU
3. Impresses friends
4. Gets the chicks
 
SycoraX said:
1. It's fun
2. I can blow the door's off an FX-57 which is about 5 times the cost of my CPU
3. Impresses friends
4. Gets the chicks

LMAO
:D

F__k it. I'm done guys. I'm going back to stock speeds. I'm done. Goodbye to the [H]

J/K
 
paintb4707 said:
Exaduration?

exaderation ;)

J32P2006 said:

ROLHURRR :D

paintb4707 said:
Seems to me your ranting about overclocking being useless simply because your own experience was a failure.

My own experience wasnt a failure. It affected something that i do with my computer so its not an option for me. Everything, with the exception of srds.exe works perfectly fine. I was actually quite pleased up until it started crashing. Currently i'm dual priming to see if i can get it stable at 2.6. I'll give it another shot. Sorry if i stirred anyones pot! :D
 
RegisteredToPost said:
exaderation ;)

Link me to an online dictionary with the correct spelling. Thanks

My own experience wasnt a failure. It affected something that i do with my computer so its not an option for me. Everything, with the exception of srds.exe works perfectly fine. I was actually quite pleased up until it started crashing. Currently i'm dual priming to see if i can get it stable at 2.6. I'll give it another shot. Sorry if i stirred anyones pot! :D

I attempted overclocking my opteron, I set it back to default settings because of instability. My hl2 server started hard crashing....more than once. Resetting settings to default fixed the problems. meh... Just my thoughts

Translation One: I attempted to overclock my system but I encountered problems. After I reset to stock speeds it was fixed.

Translation Two: My OC was some how a failure.
 
Well this is only hardforums not xtreme forums like xtremesystems.org/forums so give the guy some slack please :D
 
RegisteredToPost said:
who gave you permission to be an asshole? :rolleyes:

When someone asked 'Why overclock' on an overclocking enthusiast forum i think everyone got the 'go ahead' for asshole mode.

If someone were to ask "why overclock", then 'we' can say "why buy an expensive CPU"? If its not worth overclocking a 1.8ghz cpu to 2.2ghz, then why is it worth buying a 2.2ghz CPU right out of the box if the 1.8 is just as good?

If you wanna think of it this way: all CPU's are one speed, the base model speed. And each CPU above that has a 'factory overclock'....Hows that? :)
 
RegisteredToPost said:
If you're buying in the top 75%, overclocking won't give you a huge boost in performance to begin with, and by the end of your processor's life cycle, it won't put you up to 'modern' standards anyway. So what the fuck is the point?

If you want to waste your time tweaking FSB/RAM latency settings and worrying about instability, go for it.

Thats the kind of attitude that gives anyone permission to be an asshole. :rolleyes:

Especially coming from someone who refuses to admit a mistake and would rather voice the oppinion for everyone else instead.
 
paintb4707 said:
Thats the kind of attitude that gives anyone permission to be an asshole. :rolleyes:

Especially coming from someone who refuses to admit a mistake and would rather voice the oppinion for everyone else instead.

I was once down wit opp, you know me? :cool:
 
All the chips have the same #of transistors a 3000 venice will have the same # of them as ank venice , any san deigo core will have the same# of transistors so you can have a chip running at the same speed as the top chip in that family and it will last as long as that top chip [if you keep it cool]




overclocking for ever [saved me 600$ instead of getting an FX-55 :D ]
 
Not sure about the newer systems but OCing this nForce2 system with good
RAM & unlocked CPU has been well worth it.

Stock settings = 11x133Mhz (1.4Ghz) ..... now running 10x230 (2.3Ghz).
Not to mention tight timings which is more important for this older nForce2 system.

Add that to the unlocked and OCed 6800 AGP card & I have gained a fairly
significant performance increase.

3dMark2k3 score stock = 8,700 .... now just over 11,000. :cool:
 
Susquehannock said:
3dMark2k3 score stock = 8,700 .... now just over 11,000. :cool:

Put all your fancy pants benchmarks aside. This would equal out to maybe 8-10 frames per second in x.x.x game title?
 
RegisteredToPost said:
Put all your fancy pants benchmarks aside. This would equal out to maybe 8-10 frames per second in x.x.x game title?

We don't overclock to get 8FPS. its just a hobby! If you want to run your chip at stock speeds so be it. I don't think I ever recall a thread that said: " Why not overclock.."
Its like teams you like the Bulls, I like the Rockets I mean who cares! If you don't see a reason to OC then don't!

[H]ardcore :p

 
Uh or it can be as much as 100FPS more or the difference between being able to play a game and not being able to play a game because you just couldn't get over 30.

I was seriously considering forking out the cash to bump my 754 system as fast as it can go. That would've been about $350 out of my pocket for the new processor. Instead I overclocked last night and got basically the same thing. Didn't have to leave the house. Didn't have to wait for it to be delivered. BAM the speed is just there now. Whether or not its ever worth it really depends on how much money you have to burn and how far the processor you are overclocking can go.
 
This is actually a serious question :cool:

What happens, if by some freak coincidence you burn out a component through overclocking? Cpu, motherboard, video card. Do you just RMA it, hoping that the company will give you a replacement? I've always wondered about that...
 
RegisteredToPost said:
This is actually a serious question :cool:

What happens, if by some freak coincidence you burn out a component through overclocking? Cpu, motherboard, video card. Do you just RMA it, hoping that the company will give you a replacement? I've always wondered about that...

I've never burnt a part by overclocking. You'd actually have to be really stupid to do it. And no, the company will not take it back if you break it because you're a moron. If it falls apart without you touching it, they'll take it.

// You'd have to be running a CPU without a heatsink for it to burn out. No one does that.
 
RegisteredToPost said:
This is actually a serious question :cool:

What happens, if by some freak coincidence you burn out a component through overclocking? Cpu, motherboard, video card. Do you just RMA it, hoping that the company will give you a replacement? I've always wondered about that...
wow this guy just keeps baiting the hook.
dont feed the trolls guys :cool:
 
I have another serious question :cool:

What is a safe temperature for the mosfets on an asus a8n premium board? I read on the asus website that they're rated to like 70c. Overclocking, mine usually stays just over 50c.

I asked this question somewhere but didnt get any answers :mad:
 
Originally Posted by RegisteredToPost
This is actually a serious question

What happens, if by some freak coincidence you burn out a component through overclocking? Cpu, motherboard, video card. Do you just RMA it, hoping that the company will give you a replacement? I've always wondered about that...
That's why you test for stability. Do you know the definition of stable?

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=stable&gwp=13

If it's stable, then how can you burn out the component through overclocking? That's like burning out the component through the stock speed. You can only burn out the component if you're stupid enough to keep the speed of an unstable overclock. Plus if you can overclock without changing any voltage, then how does that add heat to the component?
 
[K]entor said:
That's why you test for stability. Do you know the definition of stable?

sta·ble

1. A building for the shelter and feeding of domestic animals, especially horses and cattle.

:cool:
 
i do it because i can. Its a fun little hobby to make something be a little better than it can be. I mostly do it so I can pull out some more work units for F@H. Haven't you ever pulled something a part when you were a kid and wanted to see how it worked and if you could make it more fun to play with? In overclocking I can in an essence turn a $130 processor into one of similiar quality such as an fx-53 (in my case.)

 
Prime stable for three hours now. Hopefully i can get this spitwad to stick at 2.61. Dont get all bent out of shape here guys. Its all in good fun. We have a sense of humor around here, dont we? How many hours of prime dual instance before you deem it acceptable for the shelter and feeding of domestic animals, especially horses and cattle?
 
Ctrl_Alt_Delete said:
wow this guy just keeps baiting the hook.
dont feed the trolls guys :cool:

For real... Lets show some love and no reply to starting a war. next is going be why do you own a computer when you can use one at the library or some shit
 
'I overclocked my 2.4c to 3.0 (never tried to go higher) and it lasted me 3 years. In fact, when I get a new case, I'm going to rebuild my 2.4c system because it fuckin rocked.

So I'd say overclocking is definitely worth it.
 
DaMiEn said:
Im sorry but what I heard was "I messed up an overclock once so I see no sense in anyone else overclocking" :rolleyes:

one of the very first responses, yet still holds the most truth. so sayeth LIQUID_COOLED.
 
RegisteredToPost said:
It's not like you'll see huge insane performance benefits from the extra 200 mhz you'll get from overclocking.

If you're buying in the top 75%, overclocking won't give you a huge boost in performance to begin with, and by the end of your processor's life cycle, it won't put you up to 'modern' standards anyway. So what the fuck is the point?

If you want to waste your time tweaking FSB/RAM latency settings and worrying about instability, go for it.

I attempted overclocking my opteron, I set it back to default settings because of instability. My hl2 server started hard crashing....more than once. Resetting settings to default fixed the problems. meh... Just my thoughts


an extra 200 isn't all that noticeable, but if for example I take my budget 3000+ Venice and run it at 2615...thats an 805Mhz difference and that is completely noticeable. According to Sandra, my CPU performs better than an fx-53 and close to an fx-55 which is way out of my price range. So thats just one example of why to overclock.

Dont get me started on my video cards either ;)

Also some people just like to tinker and see what their gear can do and it is fun and appealing to them. Is that so wrong? Just because you cant get a stable overclock doesnt mean you have to try and bash others.
 
RegisteredToPost said:
Put all your fancy pants benchmarks aside. This would equal out to maybe 8-10 frames per second in x.x.x game title?

Actually thats a pretty decent increase...

1.4ghz AthlonXP... thats what a 1700+? now the 3200+ ran about 2.2 take off 200+ and id say hes got an easy 3100+ speed rating there. pretty decent speed boost. esp with that higher FSB.

The 6800 unlocks...

Not a massive increase but a noticeable increase in performance.

Thats a big performance increase over all with little pay out.
 
Joves said:
Why overclock? Because it is there to do. Just like climbing mountains or, going where others dont go. Thats basically it.

It is like case modding... Some have lights and windows and 20 fans and look like Las Vegas at night.

Or extreme cooling. I find it hard to believe a CPU works better at -40C than -0C but WTF do I know?

Or extreme quieting. Personally I am into that. I can't stand to hear my PC fans whine all night (can't wait until my Antec Phantom 350 PSU gets here).
 
fenderltd said:
For real... Lets show some love and no reply to starting a war. next is going be why do you own a computer when you can use one at the library or some shit

I can send an email from a library computer using a fake hotmail account and tell my English teacher what I really think of her. You can't safely do that from your home computer. :D
 
Economy, of course! Consider this: a near silent system, containing a simple 112 dollar opteron, which, clocked to near 3ghz, smokes almost any non phase/ cascade cooled athlon/ pentium, and can go sli without any noise addition. To put a comparison in this annology, It is about as loud as a dell from 99,the windows me, coppermine sporting integrated everything in a matx case. I ask, Why not? Do you not want a fx-59 for a fraction of the price?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top