Why Best Buy Checks Your Receipt

They are not law enforcement, they can't do crap, or even stop you, so whats the problem? Once I pay for whatever is in my bag, it's the same as a purse/backpack or wallet, it's my personal property now, so you can piss off. I look them right in the face, smile and wave as I walk out the door, BB, walmart etc, don't even bother trying to stop me anymore.

My thoughts 100%. I don't shop at Best Buy anyway, and them treating their customers like criminals with the receipt check is one of many reasons why.

Loss prevention absolutely can stop you. When your 'personal property' happens to be on somebody else's private property they do inherit certain reasonable rights to it as long as it's on their property including inspecting it to make sure it is in fact your property. If you think they can't detain you, then you need to look up private property and loss prevention in your state - you sound like you'll be surprised to see what they can do.

What do you have against showing your receipt anyway? It isn't even like it's some invasion of privacy since you just bought those very items from the store you're in. It can't be that you're so busy you can't have a guy look at a receipt for half a minute. You doing it just to be annoying?

as someone who has worked at multiple retail stores you are completely full of it. I let them check my receipt to avoid any issues but the idea that you have to follow someone's policies because you're on there property is borderline retarded.

You basically just said you are allowed to be kidnapped if you're on that persons private property that they allowed you to be on.

They can with probable cause, as long as they involve the Police ASAP it's perfectly legal.

No no no, Jesus this should be common sense, in no state can they detain you without your permission. We were able to do that because we tricked people into allowing themselves to be detained, by simply asking them to come with us.

You try to stop someone physically and even if they did steal something you're in for a huge lawsuit in any state.

Frys does the same thing and I don't see people railing against it. Heck quite a large number of retailers did this long before BB picked up the practice. I think BB is the new Sony right now where people are just looking for an excuse to flame.

While I consider most of the guys comments pretty much bs, I don't really care about the receipt check. It honestly takes a couple seconds of my time on the way out the door, so what? It isn't like I am in that big of a hurry.

I deliberately do not submit my receipt to the receipt checkers anywhere. They have no legal or moral authority (at least in California) to do so and they can't. This practice is lame and they know it's illegal to actually force you to do it, but instead, people sheepishly will submit to such an act without knowing they don't have to.

No no no, Jesus this should be common sense, in no state can they detain you without your permission. We were able to do that because we tricked people into allowing themselves to be detained, by simply asking them to come with us.

You try to stop someone physically and even if they did steal something you're in for a huge lawsuit in any state.

Yeah I'm going to call bullshit on that, I've seen people get dragged into Fry's more than once because of theft, ironically more when I didn't work there than when I did.

They can with probable cause, as long as they involve the Police ASAP it's perfectly legal.

"Probable cause is the legal standard by which a police officer has the right to make an arrest, conduct a personal or property search, or to obtain a warrant for arrest. While many factors contribute to a police officer’s level of authority in a given situation, the probable cause standard requires facts or evidence that would lead a reasonable person to believe that a suspect has committed a crime."

I don't believe a store employee has that ability. Therefore detention is purely voluntary.

Loss prevention absolutely can stop you. When your 'personal property' happens to be on somebody else's private property they do inherit certain reasonable rights to it as long as it's on their property including inspecting it to make sure it is in fact your property. If you think they can't detain you, then you need to look up private property and loss prevention in your state - you sound like you'll be surprised to see what they can do.

What do you have against showing your receipt anyway? It isn't even like it's some invasion of privacy since you just bought those very items from the store you're in. It can't be that you're so busy you can't have a guy look at a receipt for half a minute. You doing it just to be annoying?

Yes LP can make a citizens arrest. No you dont have to cooperate or talk to them. You can demand the police be called right away. Store security cant search your person with out your consent. They can call a police officer. They would then need to tell the officer what they believe you stole and where it is concealed on your person.

There are severe legal and civil penalties for false arrest, false detainment depending on circumstances it can also become kidnapping.

The burden of proof is on the store to show that you stole the item, you do not have to prove you didn't.

Either video - more common now - or a signed statement from a store security officer, witnessing to the item being Selected off the shelf/rack/etc. (eg positive proof you didnt enter the store with it) and then trying to take it with out paying. Either attempting to walk out or just plain concealing it (for which you can be arrested for though most places wait for you to try and leave). For liability reasons most retailers also require their staff to maintain 100% surveillance from the time the item is concealed till the attempt to leave in case the perp dumps the item (leading to false arrest).

So, yes store security can stop you, then can not search you, or do anything but call the police without your consent.

I will generally show my receipt a the door on the way out. Unless there is a long line to get out, or the receipt people are flapping their lips and/or making me wait for their convenience.

I will not allow a search or my person or my backpack/shoulder bag.

I have had Frys try to tell me I was not allowed to enter the store with a bag unless I let them search it on the way in and out. All the while letting women with big purses walk though the door. I did not agree and did my shopping.

The door police at Compusa, before it went under, used to get very aggressive and demanding to the point of yelling at me to stop and open my bag or else.

As for what I read about costco etc putting something in their contract for membership... they can out anything they want on the piece of paper that doesnt make it legal or enforceable. Keep that in mind about posted signs in businesses and specifically about lease agreements, many landlords put stuff in there they cant enforce in court.

"Probable cause is the legal standard by which a police officer has the right to make an arrest, conduct a personal or property search, or to obtain a warrant for arrest. While many factors contribute to a police officer’s level of authority in a given situation, the probable cause standard requires facts or evidence that would lead a reasonable person to believe that a suspect has committed a crime."

I don't believe a store employee has that ability. Therefore detention is purely voluntary.

Quoting This:
http://www.security-expert.org/shoplifting.htm

In almost all jurisdictions in the United States, merchants are legally empowered to detain shoplifting suspects for investigation and possible arrest and prosecution in the criminal justice system. This power is called "merchant’s privilege."

It's just a receipt for crying out fucking loud though. You people make the biggest deals out of the smallest damn things in your lives, I pity people who make a big deal out of this, I really do.

Yeah Fry's is persistent about checking the receipt, even though you have every right to just walk out the door, like any other place.

Fry's wants to mark your receipt on your way out because they have to deal with people trying to exit the store a second time with the same receipt which is a common shoplifting technique.

Having been in the retail security line of work I can tell you shoplifting is very very common. People have no shame. I have dealt with individuals who hid unpaid merchandise under their baby (and blamed it on the baby too) and much worse I doubt many people want to believe.

Having a person standing at the door, just marking receipts or responding to the silly door alarms does cut down on shoplifting. The bottom line is everyone pays for theft because prices are raised to keep profits at the same level.

Store security are NOT police they do not have police powers. They can call the police.

An accusation of theft that can not be backed up or proven in court is very bad and very costly to a company. If you are detained, told you are being arrested and/or cant leave you have been accused of theft.

If you haven't stolen anything refuse to talk to the store personnel and ask for the police.

If you have stolen something I suggest being polite and cooperating. The store has the right to charge you restitution (eg cost, payroll etc for having to catch you stealing) and it is at the option of the store to call the police or not.

I haven't been inside a BestBuy in a loooong time... But I've always referred to the guys at the door in Fry's as the Highlighter Gestapo.

Actually got one to smirk once when I said, "Here are my papers" in a bad German accent.

People who object to showing their receipts are either idiots or a-holes. The store does it to help prevent theft, which helps both the store and honest consumers.

"By protecting our products from theft, and therefore our revenue margins, there are so many things we can afford. Sheer profit is one of them, absolutely. I am not going to deny that. It is far from the last of them though, and many other benefit you as a customer. We can keep our prices lower, or keep more employees on the floor for more adequate customer service, or pay for more training to the same end. "

Really? I see that's working real well isn't it. Just imagine them with higher prices, worse customer service and less trained employees. I didn't know that was possible.

QFT. Since when is their customer service even "adequate" to begin with?

People who object to showing their receipts are either idiots or a-holes. The store does it to help prevent theft, which helps both the store and honest consumers.

They might have a bottle of personal lube, a teddy bear, and some bacon scented candles in there. They're just shy.

Frys does the same thing and I don't see people railing against it. Heck quite a large number of retailers did this long before BB picked up the practice. I think BB is the new Sony right now where people are just looking for an excuse to flame.

While I consider most of the guys comments pretty much bs, I don't really care about the receipt check. It honestly takes a couple seconds of my time on the way out the door, so what? It isn't like I am in that big of a hurry.

So you dont mind being treated like a criminal because they assume you stole something so need to check your bag and receipt....

So you dont mind being treated like a criminal because they assume you stole something so need to check your bag and receipt....

Why do people still shop there? They've been Worst Buy for years. It's been years since they even really tried to really be aggressive on pricing.

Steve_010 said:
Too many people willing to give up their rights way too easily.

A problem in this country and arguably beyond that can't be overstated. Perilous.

Good luck enforcing that. I would never willingly allow a non-peace officer to search or detain me and even unless a peace officer can explain to me his reasonable suspicion or probable cause, even then I wouldn't submit to a search from him/her. We will deal with it in court otherwise.

Easier said than done.

What about when a TSA agent wants to grope you in an airport and that's the only way you're getting on that flight? A bunch of sheep didn't mind that at all during the holidays and such.

A lot of talk out there and that's about it. Not directed at you personally.

Loss prevention or security guards have NO more power or authority than a normal civilian, now, if they are on private property that you enter, they can demand you comply to the property rules, or request you leave, that is it, but in these cases the person is trying to leave the property anyway. The only time security guards (in some states) or loss prevention can stop or detain someone is when the knowledge of a crime has happened, such as shoplifting, they are not supposed to stop someone on just a "feeling" or suspicion.

And I am against people over reaching their power, its my bag, its my wallet, and no, you can't look in side. Don't give the same "oh, if you did nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide" BS. I did nothing wrong, and as such, you have no proof of me doing anything wrong, so leave me alone. So maybe you should read up on the power loss prevention or security guards have. I would love one of these people to try and detain me, I would enjoy getting some money from a lawsuit. I have had one put their hands on me before (not at a "normal" store) he grabbed me by the arm/shoulder, as soon as he did, I asked for the cops to be called, needless to say, he wanted me to leave really fast then. But, had he pushed the issue, I would have gladly taken it to court.

I would like you all who are critical of this practice to explain why you feel that way. From all of the times I've been to stores where an employee checks shoppers' receipts at the door, the longest it has ever taken me to be checked was at Fry's, and it took all of 15 seconds max. What's the big deal?

I personally don't mind showing the receipt at the door of the stores I shop at. I only get angry when the people treat you poorly.

The problem is, most of the time, the person checking your receipt acts like an assclown. They forget that a bit of respect and consideration goes along way. "Pardon me sir/ma'am, may I see your receipt?" with maybe a "Did you find everything you were looking for alright?" or "How is your day going?" followed with a "Thank you for shopping with us today.". Those simple, polite words would probably put regular shoppers at ease, and let them feel as if they aren't being just automatically judged as criminals.

Exchange I had with a receipt checker (and his boss) when he stepped in front of me to check mine

Me: (walking out the door)
Receipt Checker: Sir, I need to check your receipt.
Me: Got a receipt ticket?
RC: A what?
Me: A receipt ticket! Ever been to the movies?
RC: Uhhh ya, ummm
Me: Well when you go to the movies what do you need?
RC: Uhhh, I don't know?
Me: Well you need a movie ticket.
RC: I don't understand.
Me: I own this receipt, if you want to see it you have to pay for it, and a Receipt Ticket costs $10 cash.
RC: I don't have $10
Me: Then you are not going to see my receipt.
Receipt Checkers Boss: Sir, is there a problem.
Me: Nope, this gentlemen wanted to look at my receipt and I told him no. He has no reason for it, and if you think I stole something I think you should call the police on me right now.
RCB: Well his job is to make sure you paid the right price for the items you bought.
Me: (grabs random item out of bag) What the price of this?
RC: Uhhhhhh, I don't know.
Me: (to Boss) This employee isn't doing the job you have assigned him if he doesn't know the price of this item. You should fire him right now.
RC & RCB: (stunned silence)

And with that I just walked out.

CostCo and Sam's Club require memberships. As part of that membership I sign a piece of paper consenting to have my bags searched. I don't at Best Buy.

What about Walmart? They've been doing it for years.......nobody was complaining then.

I had no idea this was even an issue. Why is it so hard to just show your receipt when you're exiting? There are so many stores that do this, I don't understand why people are so offended by the practice.

A lot of people feel they are being accused of stealing. To be honest I understand where they are coming from and I do agree with them. I'm not big on being accused of something when there is no evidence of wrong doing. To me it'd be like cops picking you out and asking to check your bags and empty your pockets. They would need probable cause. They just can't do it willy nilly.

Side tip, NEVER consent to police searching your personal belongings, car, house, hotel room, whatever.

Don't know what laws are in Illinois but once I buy something it's mine and no one has a right to anything in my plastic Best Buy bag or my own backpack/bag.

To be honest I'd rather just walk past receipt checkers because yeah, I AM in that big of a rush. I bought my shit and want to get the fuck out of there and continue on with my day/evening. However my uptight fiance gives me grief "GET YOUR RECEIPT OUT NOW. Yes, dear. :rolleyes:"

Loss prevention or security guards have NO more power or authority than a normal civilian, now, if they are on private property that you enter, they can demand you comply to the property rules, or request you leave, that is it, but in these cases the person is trying to leave the property anyway. The only time security guards (in some states) or loss prevention can stop or detain someone is when the knowledge of a crime has happened, such as shoplifting, they are not supposed to stop someone on just a "feeling" or suspicion.

Once a location, like a store, is opened to the public at large a number of 'rights' are given up. Telling someone to leave or baning them is discrimination and prejudice unless the property owner/leaser can prove good cause, like theft, damaging the property, being a nuisance (as legally defined no just being a jerk), etc.

It's a business. If this practice makes people not want to go there, is the money lost in sales made up for by the money not lost in possible theft reduction?

Exchange I had with a receipt checker (and his boss) when he stepped in front of me to check mine

Me: (walking out the door)
Receipt Checker: Sir, I need to check your receipt.
Me: Got a receipt ticket?
RC: A what?
Me: A receipt ticket! Ever been to the movies?
RC: Uhhh ya, ummm
Me: Well when you go to the movies what do you need?
RC: Uhhh, I don't know?
Me: Well you need a movie ticket.
RC: I don't understand.
Me: I own this receipt, if you want to see it you have to pay for it, and a Receipt Ticket costs $10 cash.
RC: I don't have $10
Me: Then you are not going to see my receipt.
Receipt Checkers Boss: Sir, is there a problem.
Me: Nope, this gentlemen wanted to look at my receipt and I told him no. He has no reason for it, and if you think I stole something I think you should call the police on me right now.
RCB: Well his job is to make sure you paid the right price for the items you bought.
Me: (grabs random item out of bag) What the price of this?
RC: Uhhhhhh, I don't know.
Me: (to Boss) This employee isn't doing the job you have assigned him if he doesn't know the price of this item. You should fire him right now.
RC & RCB: (stunned silence)

And with that I just walked out.

haha thats brilliant :D

My local Wal-Mart did this since I was a child. Nothing new here. The people at the door usually just say "Have a good day/night" as you approach them with your receipt out.

The wal-marts here only check black peoples receipts, never seen them ask a white person before.

The wal-marts here only check black peoples receipts, never seen them ask a white person before.

Where is here? Where I live they don't get to pick and choose like that, if they did they wouldn't have anything to do.......actually they would be the one doing the checking most likely.....

Quoting This:
http://www.security-expert.org/shoplifting.htm

In almost all jurisdictions in the United States, merchants are legally empowered to detain shoplifting suspects for investigation and possible arrest and prosecution in the criminal justice system. This power is called "merchant’s privilege."

Also more commonly known as "Shopkeeper's privilege.", and yes merchants can detain thieves in almost every state. However that same link explains what a loss prevention officer needs to do to make sure he has valid cause to detain someone:

The merchant's privilege provides for detention of persons suspected of shoplifting only when probable cause or reasonable cause exists to believe a person has committed theft. The best practice for establishing this probable cause (as compared to any legal standard) is the security person's having met all the following six steps: (1) observe the customer approach the merchandise, (2) observe the customer select the merchandise, (3) observe the customer conceal (or otherwise carry away) the merchandise, (4) keep the customer under constant and uninterrupted observation, (5) see the customer fail to pay for the merchandise, and (6) detain the customer outside the store.

So in other words, you damn sure better not try to detain someone based on failure to display receipt. You might even do some time yourself for doing something so blatantly illegal.

That only works if people actually allow their receipt to be checked. There is no legal obligation to consent to it and if you try to detain them without proof they shoplifted, guess who is getting sued then for unlawful imprisonment? Best Buy.

Shoplifting happened before they started doing this crap and will happen after it and they won't lower prices or hire more people as a result of doing this. They'll just have one less semi-competent jackhole on the floor pushing marked up and unnecessary crap and one more semi-competent jackhole at the door.

Earlier today I got something at Frys and more or less told the person at the door to stuff it. If I knew I wouldn't be given gruff about it I'd have been nicer, but some of those guys seem to think they're cops: they're not even rent-a-cops.

Adding onto the last post, the reason I refuse to allow them to check my receipt is that very mentality. I've already provided them with money for goods provided, my relationship with the store is done at that point and I object to the idea that I'm a crook until I prove I'm not by showing my papers.

My local 7-11 and college book store make you put your backpack/notebooks on the ground nearby before going in. All of this stuff *really* aren't something to get bent out of shape over.

Back