Why are people here so stuck up on using Vista?

Nom Anor

Limp Gawd
I just Installed Vista for DX10 games.

No problems what so ever.

I now have dual boot: Main XP system for work and Vista for games.

I don't see why so many people here hate on Vista.

hey, it was the same way with 98 and XP, and now every1 is useing XP.

i think its because at that time XP was a system hog compared to 98, same way Vista is seen as a hog compared to XP. and at the time the hardware didn't have the grunt to play games with XP that 98 did. just like XP and vista today.

currently, i have no gripes with vista, i love it.

I installed Vista just to test it out and at first I didnt like it and went back to XP for a while. But I remember some game or another caused me to come back to Vista and since Im too lazy to setup dual boot and restart when I want to play games and deal with that hassle, I just stayed. No problems really, esp since they fixed that NVidia "driver stopped working" bug.

Framerate hit in games and program incompatibility. 95% of my programs do work, but the few that didn't happen to be important to me. I set up a dual boot and just never booted back to Vista again.

and since Im too lazy to setup dual boot and

I opted for Daal Boot during the install. Instead of upgrading XP, i just installed a new copy of Vista on the second HD.

so dual boot was set up by default for me.

I just Installed Vista for DX10 games.

No problems what so ever.

I now have dual boot: Main XP system for work and Vista for games.

I don't see why so many people here hate on Vista.

Because the majority of people on this forum, despite their l33t signature rigs, know dick about computers.

I've used Vista for nearly a year now and the number of programs I have had problem with can be counted on ONE hand. Now, with newer versions, all of those programs work.

Because the majority of people on this forum, despite their l33t signature rigs, know dick about computers.

I've used Vista for nearly a year now and the number of programs I have had problem with can be counted on ONE hand. Now, with newer versions, all of those programs work.

i've found that all but on of my programs worked, the only one that didn't was Fraps. probably because i recovered it instead of reinstalling it.

Gotta remember that most of the people here atleast undestand to use latest drivers with their systems. If you keep your drivers updated, Vista will most likely work ok, but with the average joe the situation is different.

99% who buy their computer never bother or even know what a driver update is. People like these most likely will run into trouble with Vista in some point or another.

So basicly what I have been recomending to everyone I know, is to wait for the Vista SP1. The only thing really going for Vista currently is its DX10 support, so there really is no rush to upgrade. Still I do not blaim who want to upgrade, its in human nature to always want the latests and shinyest :)

no, my point was to install Vista as a secondary OS (for games with DX10 dor example)

that way you dont have to worry about potential problems wirh programs that could have compatability issues in Vista.

I have a dual boot with XP as main.
And when i want to play games I just boot to Vista.

i dont like the fact that i hafta buy a new monitor so it doesn't downsample my hd content

All i care about atm is WWIIOL, I've heard of people being able to get it to work and other who are just out of luck. Yeah I want to use dx10 for my pretty games but, BGE is just too awesome.

I have XP on one HDD and Vista 64 bit on another.
I just need to spend more time with Vista, its kind of quirky and I just havent had the patience. The UAC and Administrator stuff drives me crazy. BUT.....the games Ive loaded run just fine and the little DX10 I've seen so far is quite nice.

Vista performs almost exactly the same (within 1-3%) as XP nowadays with newer, better drivers anyway, there's no reason to be on XP if you have Vista now except for some specialized programs or devices that basically no one here use (very very few) that don't have proper drivers. It's a much nicer OS overall.

Dual boot, I use XP for games and Vista for work.
Not all games work in Vista right, no matter what any one says. Its not Vistas fault per se, it just is.

I would imagine that there are others like me who just don't need to switch to Vista yet. I don't have a DX10 video card, so why bother to switch when XP still does everything I want?

Once I get a DX10 card, maybe in the spring, I will likely switch to Vista 64 bit.

I used to dual boot with xp with vista. but then i stop since I was using my vista boot more. I wasnt having any problems so i started to use vista as my main. and it been like that every since.

I haven ran into one problem and every thing works for me.

I would imagine that there are others like me who just don't need to switch to Vista yet. I don't have a DX10 video card, so why bother to switch when XP still does everything I want?

Once I get a DX10 card, maybe in the spring, I will likely switch to Vista 64 bit.

That's different than unfounded bashing ;), and an actual reason not to switch yet :p.

It's pretty funny. You wonder why people hate and/or do not use Vista.
50% of the people in this thread dual boot Vista and XP. If Vista was so perfect and so awesome , why would so many dual boot? Answer: Vista is still a beta

me will wait until AT LEAST SP1

by the way, this thread should be put in the OS section :D

It's pretty funny. You wonder why people hate and/or do not use Vista.
50% of the people in this thread dual boot Vista and XP. If Vista was so perfect and so awesome , why would so many dual boot? Answer: Vista is still a beta

me will wait until AT LEAST SP1

by the way, this thread should be put in the OS section :D

Vista isn't beta, but Nvidias SLI drivers are, and some games (SupCom for example) dont know how to use the new sound architecture right.

...there's no reason to be on XP if you have Vista now except for some specialized programs or devices that basically no one here use (very very few) that don't have proper drivers.
Such as, say, Pro Tools? This has pretty much barred me from using Vista exclusively (among other things), as it were.

Seems like there's been a recent flurry of Vista debating here lately. Little weird.

a lot of the users here are hopeless with os. dont like uac? turn it off or put in quiet mode. dont like sys admin? check off the "always runs as sys admin" box. progs not running right? run in xp sp2 compat mode. these are the main complaints, and their very complicated fixes. along with the "bad driver support" jive, which is getting a little old.

I dual boot and I use Vista only for games that support DX10. I used it as my main OS for about a month before going back to XP as my primary because i have a few annoying problems with vista.

1. USB performance is terrible with transfer rates of about 15kb/sec. I use external hard drives to move large amounts of data between work and home so this is a big deal to me.
2. HD performance is pretty poor at about 5-10mb/sec.
3. Programs take forever to install and uninstall (25 minutes for the Crysis demo, probably due to problem 2).
4. A few programs i rely on for work such as Adobe Audition 2, dont work with Vista.
5. Nvidia drivers are unstable and i get fairly regular 'display drivers not responding' errors.
6. My sound card drivers regularly crash too.
7. Video playback performance is poor thanks to the Aero theme. If i turn off aero i lose video filtering.
8. My graphics tablet will stop working for no reason sometimes.

Mostly driver problems admittedly, but since drivers are essential its a big problem. Sure Vista is the Ferrari of OS's at the moment but the drivers are a one armed blind guy with a drinking problem.

Incidentally XP has none of these problems but it has had a few years to mature. But these issues are why i only use Vista for my DX10 gaming.

Ummm, I have never heard of anyone in a thread talking about Vista, list program compatibility as the reason they don't use it in terms of gaming. I like Vista but some of the performance issues keep me from using it for games(dual boot xp=games, vista=everything else). Hell, look at Crysis. People were getting 20-30% better performance in XP, then in Vista in DX9.

If you like Vista, thats great. Others don't quite like it for gaming yet, and i fail to see why that matters to anyone else. Just because they don't doesn't mean they are anti-MS like some of the people with the rolleyes seem to suggest.

Obviously if you have a DX10 card there shouldn't be a reason to not use it for dx10 games atleast.

Initially I was leery of installing Vista but decided to dual boot it on my backup PC. Haven't had any problems with it yet.

Now I have it installed primarily on my main PC as well.

So far so good.

This seems off topic, but.

I am using XP for games, and Ubuntu for nearly everything else.

What possibly reason wouild I upgrade to Vista which isn't completely sorted yet?

If your computer came with Vista use it, but why would anyone run out and buy it voluntarily before it is sorted out?

Framerate hit in games and program incompatibility. 95% of my programs do work, but the few that didn't happen to be important to me. I set up a dual boot and just never booted back to Vista again.

I'm in the same boat. I dual boot, but apart from a few forays into Vista to test for differences between DX9 and DX10, I mostly just stay in XP. A lot of the games I've tried in Vista so far have no noticeable improvements over DX9, and the framerate hit is too high. It is going to take a noticeable improvement in image quality for me to put up with the framerate hit I get in Vista vs. XP.

One thing I will say, though, I *really* like the sound stack in Vista. I have an X-Meridian, and I can honestly say that games sound even better under Vista than they do in XP. That is saying quite a lot, because this card sounds phenomenal to my ears. I have an X-FI in my other box, and I just don't hear the same quality that I do out of this card, and gaming with it under Vista will be awesome once we start getting comparable framerates in Vista vs. XP.

I dual boot and I use Vista only for games that support DX10. I used it as my main OS for about a month before going back to XP as my primary because i have a few annoying problems with vista.

1. USB performance is terrible with transfer rates of about 15kb/sec. I use external hard drives to move large amounts of data between work and home so this is a big deal to me.
2. HD performance is pretty poor at about 5-10mb/sec.
3. Programs take forever to install and uninstall (25 minutes for the Crysis demo, probably due to problem 2).
4. A few programs i rely on for work such as Adobe Audition 2, dont work with Vista.
5. Nvidia drivers are unstable and i get fairly regular 'display drivers not responding' errors.
6. My sound card drivers regularly crash too.
7. Video playback performance is poor thanks to the Aero theme. If i turn off aero i lose video filtering.
8. My graphics tablet will stop working for no reason sometimes.

Mostly driver problems admittedly, but since drivers are essential its a big problem. Sure Vista is the Ferrari of OS's at the moment but the drivers are a one armed blind guy with a drinking problem.

Incidentally XP has none of these problems but it has had a few years to mature. But these issues are why i only use Vista for my DX10 gaming.

My USB transfer times are roughly the same with XP and Vista now, if you installed the updates from back in August that "fixed" small file transfers in Vista. Might want to try that update.

That's odd about the Crysis uninstall, I nuked my copy of the demo an hour after I installed it, and it took more time to navigate to the control panel/programs folder and watch it populate than it did to uninstall the SP Demo. Sounds like you have other issues related to file system performance.

I don't use Nvidia cards on my Vista machine, so that's a non-issue for me...and even if I did, lets be honest, that's an Nvidia problem, and while annoying, not something you can blame Vista/MSFT for, though it is a valid reason to avoid Vista if you must use Nvidia cards.

No sound card problems here, but then again I don't use Creative products.

I've noticed no video performance problems under Vista, of any sort, with or without Aero, using everything from WMP to VLC, .avi to .mpeg, HD-DVD, DVD, etc.

I too have a dual-boot setup, but I haven't fired XP up in six months, and I'm probably going to nuke that partition and free up the storage space one rainy day soon when I'm bored.

I work for an ISP, and I have noticed the rate at which XP fails via LAN/WLAN and how Vista fares...I'm still on XP, says something dosn't it?

Besides I don't like having lower FPS under Vista running the SAME game at the SAME settings, and DX 10 so far havn't shown ne anything, but lack of AA plus lower FPS don't appel to me...

I installed Vista just to test it out and at first I didnt like it and went back to XP for a while. But I remember some game or another caused me to come back to Vista and since Im too lazy to setup dual boot and restart when I want to play games and deal with that hassle, I just stayed. No problems really, esp since they fixed that NVidia "driver stopped working" bug.

there are 2 games that are 'vista only':confused:
halo 2 and shadowrun. Neither one is worth buying a $400 OS over.

I do but still see no point in buying a $400 OS just to get a bloated/resource hog version of the previous one:confused:

for todays apps/games XP is the clear choice.:)

Vista is excellent except for a few things:

1 - I have problems with Vista and anything that goes through the Directsound API, which is more or less all audio (except in foobar2000, I set it to kernel streaming to fix my problems). Google seems to indicate that I need updated chipset drivers, however, I'm pretty certain that I have the latest chipset drivers on hand.

2 - IDE Smartguardian + Vista = problematic. It quite simply doesn't work on my DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D board, even though it claims to work. My workaround is to set fan speed options in BIOS (and I'm damn lucky that my BIOS supports such a thing).

3 - File transfer dialogs are slower to disappear. Even for small quick files, they don't just pop up and go away, they tend to hang around for a bit. I don't like this.

Everything else is awesome with Vista, from the previews, to performance, to 3D effects, driver stability, automatic power saving mode -- I have no issues.

there are 2 games that are 'vista only':confused:
halo 2 and shadowrun. Neither one is worth buying a $400 OS over.

I do but still see no point in buying a $400 OS just to get a bloated/resource hog version of the previous one:confused:

for todays apps/games XP is the clear choice.:)

What makes you think Vista costs $400? Or do you just pick random prices from high priced sites to make your point. Vista Premium (same features as XP Pro + more) is $99 OEM. Upgrade isn't that much more and Full version is ~$200 (if you need to constantly make it move boxes).

hey, it was the same way with 98 and XP, and now every1 is useing XP.

i think its because at that time XP was a system hog compared to 98, same way Vista is seen as a hog compared to XP. and at the time the hardware didn't have the grunt to play games with XP that 98 did. just like XP and vista today.

currently, i have no gripes with vista, i love it.

There is a large fundamental difference. Win98 was a hunk of junk, nothing more than a glorified front end menu most of us will agree. At the time I was 100% thrilled to switch to XP even with the problems it had back then.

XP has become as excellent generally stable OS. There is pretty much nothing Vista offers me over XP except DX10, which offers generally worse performance for slightly better eye candy.

So comparing the jump from 98 to XP is a really poor comparison imo.

Having said all that Vista is improving, and no doubt I will kill my dual boot and switch to it inside a year.

No compelling reason to switch from XP at this point. I can't get Vista from work like I did XP and I don't see any reason to spend the money on Vista. I use an Nvidia video card and a Creative soundcard. Once driver issues from both are completely sorted out, I may consider buying Vista. Of course, if I can end up getting Vista from work, I'll throw it on a spare PC just to learn more about it... :D

Back