• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WHS: Replace primary drive?

  • Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

Guest
First, there is nothing wrong with the drive that was in the WHS box. It is a 320gig drive.

Second, I have a 1 tb drive I was hoping to use to replace the 320 gig drive.

What I did: I used acronis to clone the 320 to the 1 tb. Unit boots up, however, WHS reports that the 320gig is missing. As a result, the backup service isn't working and WHS is complaining about file duplication errors.

What I have tried: I tried to boot from the dvd to go through a re-installation install, not a new install.

There is only 1 option, which is new install. I do not want to do this.

Before I tear back into the box and just say F-it and swap the 320 back in, is there anything I can try? If not, it will not be a big deal to swap the 320 back in and put the 1tb on another port and add it to the pool.
 
I remember reading somewhere that WHS uses the hardware ID of the drive, so swapping in a new drive like you did doesn't work without modifying the registry (I believe) to reflect the new drive hardware ID. You should be able to google up some info - there are a couple of WHS forums that have good info, but I can't recall their names off-hand.

Can't you add the TB drive as an additional drive in the drive pool and leave the 320 as the OS drive, or are you space limited?
 
I remember reading somewhere that WHS uses the hardware ID of the drive, so swapping in a new drive like you did doesn't work without modifying the registry (I believe) to reflect the new drive hardware ID. You should be able to google up some info - there are a couple of WHS forums that have good info, but I can't recall their names off-hand.

Can't you add the TB drive as an additional drive in the drive pool and leave the 320 as the OS drive, or are you space limited?

I could but this drive is also fairly aged, I am trying to remove the older drives.

This is how you replace a WHS primary/system drive.

Sometimes you will only get the reinstall option one time...so get it while the gettin's good. :)

Many times it won't work.

I don't recall doing a repair install on this install.
 
Sorry, I missed the part where you already tried....
There is only 1 option, which is new install. I do not want to do this
.


Like I said, sometimes you don't get the option and I've never read of any rhyme or reason why.

I've downloaded the XFiles edition and used it when the OEM disc wouldn't give me a reinstall option.

For me, WHS has been a PITA. ;)
 
I'll try the xfiles edition and see if that helps.
 
Oh come on guys, it's great fun to do a clean install and add drives in one at a time for days to 'leapfrog' the data in.
 
[LYL]Homer;1036352720 said:
Oh come on guys, it's great fun to do a clean install and add drives in one at a time for days to 'leapfrog' the data in.

No, no it is not. I've done that before and "fun" is not the word I would use to describe it.

However, I do have about 4tb worth of usb drives to use if I have to.
 
[LYL]Homer;1036352720 said:
Oh come on guys, it's great fun to do a clean install and add drives in one at a time for days to 'leapfrog' the data in.

I've done it 4 times and thankfully I only have 2TB of base data that I keep on an eSATA drive. It still takes 8 hours if all goes well.
 
Back
Top