WHS Insufficient Disk Space Error

Old Hippie

Supreme [H]ardness
Yesterday I noticed my lastest shares weren't being included in a WHS search but were there if I explored the shared music folder.

After investigating indexing a little more I received the message on the "Indexing Options" pop-up "Insufficient disk space to continue indexing. Search results might not be complete"

Seems I have 145,224 items indexed and that's the limit?

98% of the indexed items are @ 4000 mp3 and FLAC album folders.

I removed the other folders from the indexing options and turned off duplication for the music share folder but it made no change to the indexing error.

The OS is on a 74GB Raptor but I don't believe the OS partition "grows as needed" so that shouldn't be the problem.

I suppose I could tell it to not index the text and pics or maybe move the folder?

Is there anyway to increase the size of the index folder or another way around this?

Seems to be a tough one?

I posted over at We Got Served for what seems to be an unusual problem.

Hmm, I wonder if it's insufficient space on the DATA partition.

Is there any free space on D: ?

How much free space is on C:?

I had a similar error when downloading using Alt.Binz on my WHS. The program was installed on the WHS and set to download to a share folder, but I forgot to change the temporary folder off of C: and so it quickly was filling up the 20gb OS partition (and causing a similar error message).

The location of the Index is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft and that folder is 1.08GB but it has 38 folders and 573 files.

I can't seem to pinpoint where the actual Index folder is...but even if I did find it, there's nothing I could do with it.

I just wanted to update this post...

I deleted some duplicates and the indexing saw the unused space so I told it to rebuild the index and I rebooted.

Now what I have is a warning that 448 items are indexed and I'm outta space.

So it's now indexing @ 144,000 less items and the space is filled. :confused:

This is absolutely the worst program I've ever used and I paid 99.00 for it.

Do you have a fully updated copy of WHS?

Have you checked C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp for how much is in there?

The fact that you only have 6gb out of 20gb free still seems indicative of something out of place to me; I have misc crap installed to C: (more than I should) and I still have 13.5gb free. What do you have installed beyond the default WHS install?

Do you have a fully updated copy of WHS?
SP2

Have you checked C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp for how much is in there?
41.5KB

The fact that you only have 6gb out of 20gb free still seems indicative of something out of place to me; I have misc crap installed to C: (more than I should) and I still have 13.5gb free.
Thanks, this is the kind of feedback I need to try and track down the problem.
The only extra things installed are a few helper apps...uTorrent, which I never could get to work, duplication info, advanced admin. console, disk management, and the Tool Kit.

I have GrabIt, MKV2VOB and a couple other small programs installed and I have 14GB free. Have you tried running something like ccleaner to see what it comes up with?

Try running windirstat and see if we can find out where all your space is going.

I just ran it on my WHS, here's the results:

windirstat.jpg

Have you tried running something like ccleaner to see what it comes up with?
No I haven't but I will and thanks for the suggestion.

I've done my 4th complete reinstall (and I'm not counting the successful repair installs) @ 60 days ago and to say I'm gun shy of touching anything is the understatement of the century.

I have a backup of all my music on a 1.5TB external and it gets updated with the same files at the same time because I don't trust this WHS as far as I can throw it.

Pretty frigging bad when your main backup is the weakest part of the link.

rhouck..Thanks, I'm going to try this WinDirStat and see what happens. It may take a little while because I'm gun shy, but that's a great idea.

I want to thank all of you for trying to help me out!

Latest results...

Crap Cleaner found very little but I got rid of it anyway.

windirstat shows the blue <files> folder as 22.4% but there's a file in there named pagefile.sys that is at 100% (2GB) and I thought maybe that was my problem but I guess not...because...

when I RDPd into WHS and checked the indexing status it was working and had started over :confused:

Now (2 hrs later) the indexing is complete with 148,302 indexed and there's no indication of any problems...another WTF..:confused:

In
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Files
there is a file called Windows.EDB that's 97.9 full.

I have no idea if that is/was the problem but now that it fixed itself, for now, I'll probably never know.

I guess I'm just gonna put this into the WHS-WTF catagory for now and hope it doesn't rear it's ugly little head again...but I have little confidence in that scenario.

I really appreciate all that helped and I will now use the handy windirstat program for other troubleshooting problems.

Thanks again Gents and the next round is on me! :D

BTW, I've gotten no response from the "pros" at We Got Served. :rolleyes:

Back