Who's traded their laptop for a netbook?

I have the new Aspire one AO751h 11.6 in LED screen. I have to say that I haven't been happier with a laptop that has a 6 hours battery. It has Vista Home Basic. When I first bought that netbook, it seemed very sluggish. I have the Aspire One 8.9 in with the atom 1.6 and that seem much faster. I then went to Acer's website and downloaded an updated bios and chipset. WOW, what a difference. The new netbook took off and then spread its wings. Great little guy and I'm writing to you with it right now. The screen is great and the nebook runs smoothly.

Interesting, didn't know Acer had come out with a higher res 11.6" model on top of the 10.1" they debuted towards the start of the year... They've got two configs on Newegg, a moderately priced one at $380 and a seemingly overpriced one at $450, although it does include 2GB of RAM (vs 1GB), a 250GB HD (vs 160GB), and Bluetooth (not included in their lower end models)... Adding all that yourself to the other config would probably cost more. Still though, they're using the slower clocked Z520 Atom on those, meh.

I'm not upgrading my 8.9" AAO 'till I can get a higher res 10-12" screen and a dual core Atom... Although I was green with envy when the 10.1" model came out in February or w/e with a larger screen/touchpad and two extra hours of battery life over my 8.9" model, for like $50 less than I paid for it in November. Profit margins on these things have got to be miniscule.

Mine was $380 at Wal- Mart, with Vista Home Basic,Intel Graphics 500, 2GB ram, 160GB HDD, Bluetooth, wireless G and Full Keyboard,

Impulse: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-A...f=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1245820721&sr=1-27

See, my issue is 1. I don't wanna spend more than $350.
2. SSD vs. normal hard drive.
3. Availability here in Korea.

I know they sell the EEE's here, but should i go EEE? I don't know... haha.

The one you linked has a 3-cell battery though, the one I mentioned at Newegg for $30 more has the 6-cell which makes a world of difference imo. For $350 you can get the 10" model at Newegg with a 10" screen and a 6-cell battery (that's good for like 6+ hours), it's very well priced imo. You're not gonna get a decent SSD on any notebook though, all the notebooks sold w/SSDs have pretty poor/slow ones in them (seeing as any good SSD would cost as much as any netbook), slower than any HD in fact.

That's why most models have moved to HDs, the premium you paid w/SSDs on earlier models wasn't really getting you anything besides extra ruggedness, you'd be overpaying for a slower/smaller drive. You can always upgrade the HD on these things once the prices of good SSDs drop though... They've been dropping steadily and they're gonna continue to do so.

The ASUS 1000HE model was a great competitor to Acer's lineup a couple months ago (the 10" AAO and the EEE 1000HE were easily the best values around), I dunno if that's changed recently. The 1000HE was slightly larger and cost slightly more at the time but it had BT built in.

Mine was $380 at Wal- Mart, with Vista Home Basic,Intel Graphics 500, 2GB ram, 160GB HDD, Bluetooth, wireless G and Full Keyboard,

That's so weird that they're selling it with Vista at Wal-Mart... I imagine that your model probably came with a 3-cell battery given the low price and extra RAM/larger drive though, otherwise (if it came w/the 6-cell) it's a great bargain.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ack wait, nevermind, I mis-read the whole thing... I thought you were talking about the newer 11.6" model and a larger hard drive etc... Yeah, $380 for the 10.1" is pretty normal pricing, Newegg has it for $350, with the 6-cell battery. Edit: I'm pretty confused now, in your sig you have an 8" listed... Don't think that model ever came w/BT (much less Vista).

I don't think I'll ever ditch my desktop, or even my high end laptop. I've been using 3DS Max lately and it would shank my netbook. As of right now, I have my sig desktop that I mostly game on, my gaming laptop that I DON'T game on but do intensive stuff on and my MSi Wind netbook. I've been thinking about getting rid of the netbook and laptop and getting an ultraportable or the like but I can't really get over the fact of not having an easy to carry, very powerful laptop that I can bring to my friends houses when we have a bunch of guys over for beer and PC games or when we go to LAN parties.

As i've said before, when netbooks came out, and people were still defining on what to use it for, the most common answer was "To complement the desktop". So from the start, netbooks have always been paired with a desktop (Pairing it with a laptop is redundant). It was never meant to be a primary PC.

IMHO, a netbook is a desktop accessory/peripheral rather than a stand alone unit. It's unlikely to replace a desktop, but it's definitely a consideration against a laptop.

I wouldn't trade a laptop for a netbook simply since I like to enjoy my movies through optical. Actually I probably could get away with using one since I don't play on the pc as much as I used to. Isn't a netbook simply a light portable alternative with more up time ? My friend picked up the lenovo model with 160gb hdd, windows xp, and it seems to be working great for his needs.

I still prefer my desktop real astate, and optical drive... Besides, I don't mind lugging my old 10 pound laptop around with me :D http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1431104

Heh .. okay you have me there.. but I'm just holding out for a BlackArmor NAS 440 :D Until than.. I'll stick to flash data transfers lol

Nice! Let us know how you like it.

Forgot to mention that I pulled the trigger. Ordered the i7 parts Sunday night. :)
Even though I know I should get the money back when I sell the MBP, it's still unnerving to spend that kind of money with 3 clicks. :eek:

I'll probably end up going with the 1000HE. Seems to be about the best option, even if it is a little bulkier. Probably wait until I get the mbp sold though. Shouldn't have to have a portable right away.

Heh .. okay you have me there.. but I'm just holding out for a BlackArmor NAS 440 Until than.. I'll stick to flash data transfers lol
Hmm hadn't heard of that one. I'll be happy when I get my box switched over to something that will run OpenSolaris and the rest of the drives.

I'll probably end up going with the 1000HE. Seems to be about the best option, even if it is a little bulkier. Probably wait until I get the mbp sold though. Shouldn't have to have a portable right away.

I think you should reconsider. When i retired my first netbook, i was choosing between EEE and AAO for my next one, and the deciding factor was the keyboard. They let me try it out at the store and that full sized shift key on the AAO made a world of difference.

Last edited:
I rarely use the left shift key but I guess I'll try to find some machines to play with before I buy.

I think you should reconsider. When i retired my first netbook, i was choosing between EEE and AAO for my next one, and the deciding factor was the keyboard. They let me try it out at the store and that full sized shift key on the AAO made a world of difference. If you're used to having the shift key underneath the enter key, i strongly recommend the AAO.

If your concered about the comfort of a Keyboard, which I myself am as well then maybe you should look into the AO751h which sports a FullKeyboard in a small package. CHeck it out.

Actually, it's the right shift key that i had issues with. If you're used to having the shift key underneath the enter key, i strongly recommend the AAO.

eeePC
090209gal07.jpg

AAO
aceraspireonekeyboard.jpg

Typical Keyboard
daskeyboard2.jpg

My first netbook had a layout similar to the eeePC and i still kept hitting the up key several months later. The AAO's layout is a close match to a desktop keyboard so adapting to it isn't much of an issue.

Damn.. that AO751h is pretty nice with a full size keys. I will agree.. once you cut that shift key in half it does make it worse. The one change I am in rage over is when they make the enter key short but stand up on end.. that has to be the worst for touch typers :|

I traded. However, I was only using laptop to web surf from bed, made perfect sense.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

See, i was thinking about the AAO, but i like the chiclet keyboard of the EEE.

And, i literally can count on 1 hand the number of times i use the right-shift key. I _ALWAYS_ use left shift.. not sure why.. but i do.

I wish they would put higher resolutions on netbooks.

a 10" 1366x768 would seal the deal ^^

Actually, it's the right shift key that i had issues with. If you're used to having the shift key underneath the enter key, i strongly recommend the AAO.

I meant right. Listen to what I mean, not what I say :p

I have used a notebook + external monitor, kb, and mouse for the past year or so without a real desktop PC. That worked out fine for the most part since I did 0 gaming in that time. But I finally decided to build a desktop again and get a netbook since my notebook spent 95% of its life on my desk. It's also handy to have an extra PC in case one goes south. I must say though that my 14" Dell E6400 with a 9 cell battery worked out quite nice both on my desk and mobile...except for the fan spinning up insanely loud.

Now I've got a quad core desktop with a Samsung NC10 netbook (with aftermarket 9 cell battery). Even though there are ton of new netbooks coming out I think this one is still one of the best.

Back