Votes: 61 24.4%
  • Waiting for Ivy Bridge first

Votes: 103 41.2%
  • Not upgrading until 2013

Votes: 67 26.8%
  • Bulldozer Pwnz U!

Votes: 19 7.6%

• Total voters
I was going to get one, but once I heard news about Ivy Bridge being in production I'll be changing my mind now.

I cant say that I am suprised they have not replaced their enthusiast socket yet. My 930 is still just barely slower than a 2600k and it's 3 years old. I am still comfortable waiting for the next enthusiast socket, which should be 2011, or I might wait and do a dually rig since I do alot more video encoding and converting than gaming now.

Gonna wait and see how ivy looks, my pc is old but it still does alright for most things.

I cant say that I am suprised they have not replaced their enthusiast socket yet. My 930 is still just barely slower than a 2600k and it's 3 years old. I am still comfortable waiting for the next enthusiast socket, which should be 2011, or I might wait and do a dually rig since I do alot more video encoding and converting than gaming now.

Uhhhh, the i7 930 came out February 28, 2010. It's not 3 years old.

Uhhhh, the i7 930 came out February 28, 2010. It's not 3 years old.

/slowclap

The 930 may have been released in 2010, but it is functionally no different from the 920 released two years earlier than that. That SKU may only be a year and a half old, but a speed bump does not a new architecture make.

I jumped on the SB train and received my parts this Wednesday. I did the multi-GPU setup a while back and at most I'll do a dual-chip card in the future though I'll likely just get whatever is high end and single GPU for the lower price and much lower heat and noise than two cards or a dual-GPU card. I really wanted to be able to upgrade to a hex/octocore but it just didn't play out in the cards this round. BD became a sidegrade from my Phenom II 965, SB-E is clearly out of my price range, and SB is a proven platform at this point. If a hexacore IB is popped out by Intel suddenly having a fit of crazy then I might very well pick it up saying it's not $500+. Otherwise I'm looking at 2013 for my next upgrade and I'm just fine with that at the moment.

Back