Who's going to wait out the 970/980 craze?

devonhiee

Limp Gawd
It's so hard, especially at these prices. I need a new video card for my PC (gave my MSI 660 Twin Frozr to a friend) and I have been constantly trying to buy these cards but the ones that I want have always been sold out (probably a good thing).

I have decided to wait it out until it either gets cheaper (or get it used from one of you guys) or wait until there is a TI version or something.

Who else is going to TRY and do the same and avoid all temptations?

Always a good idea to wait anyway to see how cards perform in the wild, plus more mature and better drivers. IMO the craze should die down after about a month of launch. I'm not in a huge rush since the releases I'm waiting for (Far Cry 4, The Crew, GTA V) won't happen until mid-November anyway.

screw it, Im about to buy 2x 780's for ~450-500 lol.

Always a good idea to wait anyway to see how cards perform in the wild, plus more mature and better drivers. IMO the craze should die down after about a month of launch. I'm not in a huge rush since the releases I'm waiting for (Far Cry 4, The Crew, GTA V) won't happen until mid-November anyway.

I agree with your statement but it's just so hard (especially since I have an older card) to wait when a release such as this one has come out.

I personally want more RAM because apparently under 6 GB wont cut it for Star Citizen when it releases.

screw it, Im about to buy 2x 780's for ~450-500 lol.

You'll regret it!

780 for 450-500?...........

You must have down syndrome.....

TD had some refurbished 290x for 189.99. Went to the page, all sold out.

oh yea, on the topic.....yes waiting

I agree with your statement but it's just so hard (especially since I have an older card) to wait when a release such as this one has come out.

I personally want more RAM because apparently under 6 GB wont cut it for Star Citizen when it releases.

Do you want to upgrade because you need to, or just because of all the craze? What card are you using right now?

There is a Gigabyte 780 that's going for $330 on Amazon. And with another $20 rebate that comes out to $310.

That's quite possibly the only 780 I would even remotely consider if I was really really desperate.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you want to upgrade because you need to, or just because of all the craze? What card are you using right now?

There is a Gigabyte 780 that's going for $330 on Amazon. And with another $20 rebate that comes out to $310.

That's quite possibly the only 780 I would even remotely consider if I was really really desperate.

I don't want a 780. I want a 970 or 980. I also want it due to the TDP. I was thinking about getting other cards as the prices are falling but I want to be as green as possible with the newest tech.

I mentioned that I had a MSI 660 Twin Frozr. It's great. It runs almost everything but I really want it for the new games coming out (and in the next year or so like Star Citizen). Also the fact that I gave it to my friend so I need a new card.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
lol omfg I need to learn2read -_-

Yeah I hear you about the TDP, although I think it's those with a smaller case that stand to benefit the most.

I'm currently using a laptop with 780M SLI. The 780M on its own has about 90% the performance of a 660 Ti, and in SLI is almost equivalent to a desktop 780, so I guess that's partly why I'm in no rush to buy.

Star Citizen appears to be trying to become the modern Crysis, so no point future-proofing for it. IIRC the game was developed on a 3930K platform with 2x Titans so the requirements are probably going to be insane

I sold my GTX 770 2gb before the new cards hit when they were still in the rumor stage. Currently running at 5770. The reason were VRAM, newer upcoming feature additions, and efficiency. Open to either side (although with AMD I still have some questions, needs exploring, regarding microstutter issues for less support/older games, particularly in DX9).

So I'm looking into a new card soonish. But 970 stock isn't really available yet here, so will need to wait for that to settle and prices to settle.

Was hoping more AMD information will be made available sooner which is my problem with the 970 (although to a much more extent the 980). How they look in a competitive vacuum may not be the same as the response. We saw this scenario with Tahiti and Kepler, and the exact same situation may play out. Buying the "lead" product is a bit of a gamble.

The problem with the 860 is I'm wondering how they will cut it and what the VRAM situation will be. A VRAM drop (of any amount) and/or a bandwidth/ROP cut would make it much less enticing even if the actual performance/price ratio is rather good. With those cut down I'd rather just move up to a 970 anyways (specially the VRAM), unless that is an absolute monster price/performance difference (larger than 970/980).

I've mentioned this before regarding the 980 but I think it's very highly priced and susceptible to large price drops in the coming months depending on AMDs and Nvidia's actions, so it's a risky purchase from a value perspective. The 970 is also somewhat but the issue is lessened due to how aggressively it ended up being priced.

If you can wait there's also the likelihood that stronger bundles will be upcoming simply due to the upcoming stronger release schedule (applies to both vendors).

I guess you also missed out on the Directron 10% off + no sales tax...someone snagged the Zotac for $296 and the 980 for $480.

that was me.. well, one of the people.. I snagged two 970s for 613 shipped. :)

I am going to wait for the next refresh. I won't support the upper mid range as high end release. Bring out the GM210 x80 so the GM204 will be in the x70 and x60

lol omfg I need to learn2read -_-

Yeah I hear you about the TDP, although I think it's those with a smaller case that stand to benefit the most.

I'm currently using a laptop with 780M SLI. The 780M on its own has about 90% the performance of a 660 Ti, and in SLI is almost equivalent to a desktop 780, so I guess that's partly why I'm in no rush to buy.

Star Citizen appears to be trying to become the modern Crysis, so no point future-proofing for it. IIRC the game was developed on a 3930K platform with 2x Titans so the requirements are probably going to be insane

Your laptop sounds pretty up-to-date.

I have a mini ITX so I am definitely looking to save some wattage. I also don't want the heat in my small box.

I read that Star Citizen is future-proof itself. Apparently it will always adapt to the newest cards/tech on the market.

that was me.. well, one of the people.. I snagged two 970s for 613 shipped. :)

Why you guys gotta rob us of our happiness and buy two cards? Congrats.

I've mentioned this before regarding the 980 but I think it's very highly priced and susceptible to large price drops in the coming months depending on AMDs and Nvidia's actions, so it's a risky purchase from a value perspective. The 970 is also somewhat but the issue is lessened due to how aggressively it ended up being priced.

If you can wait there's also the likelihood that stronger bundles will be upcoming simply due to the upcoming stronger release schedule (applies to both vendors).

Dunno how AMD is gonna bounce back from this one. They're really gonna have to drop the prices on their cards and they better be up-to-par with the 970/980s in all fields.

I'm tempted to buy a 970 but want to wait it out a bit longer...Witcher 3 is the game that I'm really upgrading for and I have until February for that...the 6GB VRAM requirement for that new LOTR game has given me pause...makes me think that developers are finally making use of all that extra RAM in consoles which will filter over to the PC side...so why buy a 4GB 970 when 6GB-8GB cards are on the horizon and game requirements are becoming steep in 2015

I can imagine what the Division or even Arkham Knight will be like

I'm waiting. The 970 is very tempting but I too am having problems getting the card I want. Just goin to lay low for a few months untill the 980ti with hopefully 8gb shows up. I only play one game right now and it runs fine as long as I keep the AA and AF at a reasonable setting.

[snip]
Why you guys gotta rob us of our happiness and buy two cards? Congrats.
[snip]

I needs my triple display setup. :eek: :)

Not that anyone cares.. but I got home from driving my wife to the airport at 5am Sat morning... I saw the email from directron while inhaling an egg mcmuffin.. 10% off entire purchase.. checked the site.. put the cards in my basket.. then thought I should get more sleep before I hit buy.. I was pretty groggy.. then when I woke up later and they were still available so decided what the heck and bought them.. then posted the links and info into the 980/970 availability thread.. by the time I had done that the deal was out on slickdeals too.. they didn't last long but a few people here got in on it. I almost sorta kinda wish I had waited for more Asus Strix 970s to be available.. but who the heck knows when more of those will be in.

What is there to wait out? Place a backorder on amazon and relax. Dozens of users here have them and love em including myself and reviews are favorable all around. Your Amazon backorder will ship within a few business days from people's reports so far. Do it and be done :).

Well I'm primarily waiting for a more mature driver since 344.16 is reported to be having issues with certain games.

That and I'd like to see more OC results especially for the Gigabyte card, since that's what I have my eyes set on.

It's so hard, especially at these prices. I need a new video card for my PC (gave my MSI 660 Twin Frozr to a friend) and I have been constantly trying to buy these cards but the ones that I want have always been sold out (probably a good thing).

I have decided to wait it out until it either gets cheaper (or get it used from one of you guys) or wait until there is a TI version or something.

Who else is going to TRY and do the same and avoid all temptations?

As I saw it, a single GTX970 which I'll OC to 1500Mhz wasn't a risky or huge investment and it'll play pretty much everything. Gets me close enough to GTX980 and lets me wait out the 20nm launch and/or an 8GB card. Once the next big thing comes along I'll grab 2x of the flagship card for Witcher 3 and other titles. I've seen a heavily modded Skyrim use nearly 5GB VRAM on a Titan, so can't have too much VRAM.

If however it was somehow known that NVIDIA would NOT release any new cards for at least 12 months, I would've just grabbed 2x 980's. I guess the lack of motivation for me to go big and stupid now is that there aren't any particularly insane titles coming out any time soon that need a ton of horsepower. Every so often over the years there will be some killer title that I'll build a new system around (example 3 x 8800GTX's for the Crysis 1 launch), but can't really think of any GPU slayers coming out any sooner than February.

Last edited:
Dunno how AMD is gonna bounce back from this one. They're really gonna have to drop the prices on their cards and they better be up-to-par with the 970/980s in all fields.

Well the pressure won't come from existing products. The most AMD will drop existing products is to make them price competitive again. It would be extremely unlikely they drop to undercut the 980 much less the 970.

The issue basically is we know both Nvidia and AMD have other new products that likely could be available in a relatively short time. AMDs bigger chip will pretty likely be faster than GM204 simply by virtue of a much higher power, transistor and die budget. Nvidia's own GM200 will be significantly faster than GM204 for sure, anything else wouldn't make much sense.

Like I said the 970 is not as much of an issue since it's priced rather aggressively low already. But the 980 by contrast is rather aggressively high in terms of the premium.

meh. if/when the big maxwell is released, ill sell the 980's and pay the diff. no biggie. that is the order of things. until then, i need moar vram.

A single 970 was a good upgrade to the twin 560/448s I've been nursing along for ~3 years now. I'm happy at 1200p, and any game that requires 6GB of buffer harkens back to the bad old days when developers would happily develop games for the generation of GPUs *following* the ones just about to come out, and sorry, never again on that BS.

Nope tiding this over with my quad 290x... Not gonna pay a premium %40 over the cost of selling my current setup so I can get %5 more performance at 7680x1440.

Nope tiding this over with my quad 290x... Not gonna pay a premium %40 over the cost of selling my current setup so I can get %5 more performance at 7680x1440.

Doing the same here and hanging on to my 290x until something that offers >30% better performance at 4k. The performance benefit of a gtx 980 over a 290x is just not worth the premium for me: I just can't justify something that provides <20% increase for what will end up costing me $300 after selling my old card. I was honestly expecting more in terms of performance from gtx 980 (power efficiency benefits not withstanding), which is what I suppose we'll see with the move to 20nm.

Last edited:
I'm tempted to buy a 970 but want to wait it out a bit longer...Witcher 3 is the game that I'm really upgrading for and I have until February for that...the 6GB VRAM requirement for that new LOTR game has given me pause...makes me think that developers are finally making use of all that extra RAM in consoles which will filter over to the PC side...so why buy a 4GB 970 when 6GB-8GB cards are on the horizon and game requirements are becoming steep in 2015

I can imagine what the Division or even Arkham Knight will be like

You do you know that the 6 gig vram is a requirement for ultra textures which inherently require a top end card at this time. Last gen and now current gen cards can run LOTR just fine.

Waiting on deals. No hurry, next gen, or gen after that. 6-8GB vram and 3x Adaptive Sync 4K are going to be minimum requirements for me to upgrade and be worth it.

I'm going to either:
1. Wait until 780 drops to $250 or below.
2. Wait until Pascal.

However, if I wanted a 9xx, I'd likely reserve a backorder for a Strix 970 and wait for it to ship.

You can get a 780 for 350 bucks or less and a 780 Ti for 429 or less. Why the fuck would you pay 450-500 for a 780? :rolleyes:

You can get a 780 for 350 bucks or less and a 780 Ti for 429 or less. Why the fuck would you pay 450-500 for a 780? :rolleyes:

The reason question is, why would you get a 780 for $350 or a 780ti for $429?

When the 970 GTX is cheaper then both, and matches the performance of the 780ti and beats the 780?

I guess unless you have a 780/780ti and want to SLI.

i don't see much coming out this fall/winter to warrant a $1000 purchase, personally. my 780ti will play everything i want to play just fine. looking forward to that 980 ti next year though!

I am on the fence. I do so like new toys to play with, but a 970 does not really have a raw performance advantage over my 780 Classified @ 1300mhz and the 980 is compelling, but I may wait to see if AMD has an answer incoming.

Back