Who's buying AMD Ryzen? And Why? 30 day poll after intial release!

Are you buying AMD Ryzen

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The more I reflect on Ryzen or Kabylake the more I think I'd just be FAR better off sinking $1000 into a nice shiny 4K Screen instead.

Ive got an i5-4670k, so I was actually looking at upgrading to an i7-7700k. I'm really torn now and going to hold off until we have more info and benchmarks.

I am interested to see how the new AMD processors pan out in the real world. Benchmark scores are pretty good, but they are only from synthetic programs. If the new processors seem to be promising, then I might purchase a Ryzen CPU along with some AMD gear. As of right now, the only appealing thing to me is the price. Other than that, until I see performance results from users, I will not buy it for now.

Wish there was a "I'm not touching this thing until reliable reviews and benchmarks are out"; and I'm surprised how many users even on these forums have pre-ordered and already burned cash on something that might just turn out to be Bulldozer v1.5...

I'm no fanboy of either camp, I've used both AMD in their glory days (K7's and Athlon X2's) and Intel in theirs (from Core 2 Duo's and beyond); so don't get me wrong. My money will always go to the better/faster/feature rich product.

I feel too many people are riding the hype train with blinders on and it feels similar to the Bulldozer days. :hungover:

Also, don't look at my account and think I've only been here since only 2011; I've been a part of these forums since back in 2001; was also part of the HardFolding team (I f**king miss those days :cry:).

Last edited:
I already bought Kaby Lake. Even if the benches are good (and I hope they are really good), I would still sit this one out. Kaby Lake might not be the fastest, but the z270 chipset that it sits in is mature. If AMD delivers anything close to what the initial benchmarks are showing, I'll be more than happy to buy a 2nd gen cpu.

I have a bunch of machines already, most are S 1150 and are fully capable.

I'm going to drop the big money on 2 new 1080 Tis whenever they come out.

I'll probably replace my 2500k, but I'm going to hold out until summer. I'd like to see ram prices stabilize a bit.

Don't think a Raisin can match ma Gigawatts!
But seriously, I think I can only go X1800 w/ 370X but even then I lose 16X/16X SLi so why would I need AMD again?
Will an X1800 OC on water be faster than a 5930K @ 4.6?

2500k on z68
Platform was starting to feel really dated

Looking forward to 1700x on crosshair

Might upgrade the gtx 970 soon as well..

Sticking with my 6700K, no need for anything better yet.
Its not proven at this point that Ryzen is better for gaming, we shall see.

I'll probably replace my 2500k, but I'm going to hold out until summer. I'd like to see ram prices stabilize a bit.
Ram prices are a bit high but at worst you are out an extra $100. Is that really enough to stop you from diving in and enjoy all of the fun? :)

I pre-ordered Ryzen in hopes to build a powerful, relatively low power, quiet linux development workstation. Bought a sound-insulated Corsair 400Q case, a good performing but relatively low power GTX 1050 Ti, a 65W Ryzen 1700, and a 1TB SSD. Also, 32GB of DDR4.

I do a lot with virtual machines. 8 cores, 16 threads, 32GB RAM, and plenty of fast storage feels like just the right amount of horsepower for simulating small server clusters on my local machine. There are other 8-core chips out there and some of them are cheaper, but Ryzen looks like it will have much higher single threaded performance and lower power usage than any of them. Bleeding edge hardware and linux don't always mix, but I'm persistent and patient.

Nope. As curious (and hopeful) that I am to see AMD finally give Intel some serious competition, my current CPU does the job just fine. I'm not even going to think about an upgrade until at least 6 months from now...and probably not until closer to tax return time next year.

Definitely in. Pulled apart both X99 rigs in anticipation. Some stuff going up for sale pretty soon! Not really a screenshot, but it did happen :-D
IMG_20170226_233336.jpg

i7-2600k needs to be replaced... needs is a strong word but I want to upgrade and get off this old platform and get new RAM, SSD, etc. Either Ryzen or Kaby, dont care but my Bluray collection really wants Ryzen. Currently takes about the same length as the underlying movie to encode with my Sandy. Would love for that to be improved dramatically and get me close tt the overclocked game performance of Sky/Kaby and for me it will be a home run.

I already went shopping for RAM and SSD so Im committed to buying something this weekend.

i7-2600k needs to be replaced... needs is a strong word but I want to upgrade and get off this old platform and get new RAM, SSD, etc. Either Ryzen or Kaby, dont care but my Bluray collection really wants Ryzen. Currently takes about the same length as the underlying movie to encode with my Sandy. Would love for that to be improved dramatically and get me close tt the overclocked game performance of Sky/Kaby and for me it will be a home run.

I already went shopping for RAM and SSD so Im committed to buying something this weekend.

Same. Really looking forward to faster encoding times in handbrake and content creation!

Definitely in. Pulled apart both X99 rigs in anticipation. Some stuff going up for sale pretty soon! Not really a screenshot, but it did happen :-D
View attachment 18163

I am impressed . You were heavily invested in Intel with those 2 X99 rigs, yet you are making the jump. I did not have that issue,as I have steered away from Intel for years due to their overpricing. But I have a 5 yeat old motherboard and cpu and its time to move up.

I'm looking forward to the quad core Zen CPU's, and maybe the later iterations that will come out of the pipeline. I may actually be able to buy an Asus board with 0 concerns, as there is no way in hell the RMA people can bend the pins and deny warranties on an AMD board (as there is no pins)!

I am so pumped for these CPU's, I hope they do well. I have needed a new computer for video editing for well over a year and have come close so many times to buying an ebay xeon. I am so glad I waited and can support AMD. I am going 1800x or 1700x and will also be going with an AMD graphics card just to support them as much as I can. It's great seeing everyone getting so excited about CPU's again!!

I am impressed . You were heavily invested in Intel with those 2 X99 rigs, yet you are making the jump. I did not have that issue,as I have steered away from Intel for years due to their overpricing. But I have a 5 yeat old motherboard and cpu and its time to move up.

Yup! I'll only be building one Ryzen box as I've just purchased an Alienware for on the go. My brother also gave me his old X58 setup that I'll be using to replace one of these.

Back