Votes: 28 10.9%
  • Windows 8 Pro

Votes: 114 44.5%
  • None

Votes: 105 41.0%

• Total voters

///AMG

2[H]4U
Just curious as to who will be buying w W8 tablet here, and what version? For me I will be getting the Vaio Duo 11 if it isnt over 1400 with the 256gb ssd with the extra sheet battery. Otherwise the Samsung ATiv Smart Pc Pro.

Anything with an AMD Z-60, a ~10" screen and is <$400. I'll also give W8 a try, but ultimately will wipe it for W7 and dual-boot Android (yea, AMD AppZone with Blue Stacks, but I'd much rather run the actual OS).

It depends on what the machine can do. My main reason for a win8 surface tablet will be to run Powerpoint & OneNote on a highly portable "presentation" machine (very light weight with some zots). I want the least expensive machine I can get that does this (need a good digitizing screen/pen, too). If an RT machine will do it, then I'm good. I need it to drive a vga projector. PDFs that can be zoomed in & out like on a tablet is a big plus feature too.

Everything else I do I can do better on some other machine. I want a superlight weight convertible, but if it comes in the form of a Win8 surface tablet, so be it. 2lbs and 6 hrs battery life do the trick.

after seeing the prices go down and down the last couple of days, I think I'm in. As a grad student I want to move over to one. Android has been ok, but really thinking about the Galaxy Note. The x86 prices are making them more attractive though.

i am looking at the Pro models myself. Samsung ATIV SMARTPC Pro (Samsung Series 7 slate) or the Surface Pro.

Probably the samsung simply because it will be around end of the month and comes with everything you could want pen/keyboard dock etc.

Try as I might, I just can't justify a tablet device -- notebook and smartphone pretty much have the bases covered.

Try as I might, I just can't justify a tablet device -- notebook and smartphone pretty much have the bases covered.

Mostly this, although my smartphone isn't very smart and my notebook is a little outdated. Also wallet concerns ;)

The other main reason is that Win8 has the piss scared out of me with all the crap I heard about lack of privacy AND the mess they made of the interface (and to me it is a mess!). Win8 might actually move me to Linux. Might. We'll see.

...and before anyone says it: no, I'm not a hater. I'm typing this on a laptop with WinXP. If it weren't for the interface, the privacy concerns, AND that I have no money, I'd consider moving to Win8. The first two of those problems are dealkillers for me, though, and the third just doesn't help.

Looking forward to a Surface Pro or possibly a Samsung Series 7 tablet, assuming it has an S-pen and takes advantage of the digitizer well.

Going to wait for Haswell ones before I really start looking. My TF300 is fine for now anyway,

Can't really justify the cost over a laptop which I'd find far more functional. I do want a tablet and I'm hoping for a $300 Nexus 10 or Surface RT, that's as much as I'm willing to spend.

Can't really justify the cost over a laptop which I'd find far more functional. I do want a tablet and I'm hoping for a $300 Nexus 10 or Surface RT, that's as much as I'm willing to spend.

No one really knows the cost, though, at least for the actual Surface products.

The Series 7 prices have run about the same as comparable ultrabooks, and Asus has an Atom based Windows 8 tablet that runs around $500. I would pay the $200 premium to run legacy/x86 applications, as that basically removes the app store from the equation.

Granted, you can pay less for a bigger sized laptop, but I'm betting Microsoft will make sure the price is attractive versus laptops and ultrabooks. If they do, I expect the other windows 8 tablets to drop to compete.

Still waiting for a tablet that'll make my Tower PC obsolete. Bring out Intel Quadcores and Thunderbolt GPUs in a tablet form factor. :cool:

Until I see that Win8 tablets are going to get any more traction than WinPhone, I'm not committing to purchase a damned thing.

i want a surface pro right now, but like any intelligent person i will be waiting til i have a chance to really see how it performs and of course compare it to a few alternatives. if theres another 2 or 3 solid competitors to the surface pro by christmas then i will probably try to grab something black friday/cyber monday. the samsung definitely looks nice too.

Wonder if there will be a version with the 256gb ssd for pre order. I reall want to see them in person first so I am hoping frys will have them on release day.

I can almost give up my desktop and make my tablet my sole device.

But sometimes I need to play a game that is not available on my Ipad. But that is few and far between

For the $1200 price of the Ativ, you could get a bigger, more powerful laptop, *and* an iPad, *and* a Nexus 7.

It is a terrible deal.

For the $1200 price of the Ativ, you could get a bigger, more powerful laptop, *and* an iPad, *and* a Nexus 7.

It is a terrible deal.

Thats alot weight to carry around and to fumble three devices with possible data on one and not all of them.

Its a tad over priced. 11 inch macbook would run you $999

ultrabook in this range would be $899

This also has a wacom digitizer.

I am not sure I know a of a laptop for $500 (1200-ipad-n7) that has a wacom and ssd and weigh less then 2 pounds.

I am not sure I know a of a laptop for $500 (1200-ipad-n7) that has a wacom and ssd and weigh less then 2 pounds.

There is none. What you are paying for with the hybrids are accessibility and convenience. Thats what you are always paying more for. Its always a compromise these days, but I would much rather have a hybrid than a more powerful laptop because I simply don't need an the extra power of an i7 in a laptop, would rather not carry an ipad and a laptop and still not have a digitizer. Also most ultrabooks have really bad screens, and they start at like $799, so iPad + base line ultra cost more and weighs more.

so as of now, $599 is the cheapest RT tablet(asus)? still pricey imo for RT. i wonder how much Microsofts Surface RT will be....... hoping for the <$400 range

Surface Pro for me....I might also get a Surface RT in the mean time.

Just preordered the 700 Pro on Amazon. $1200 for a device that's this capable with an IPS 1080P screen isn't bad. Not cheap but nothing cheap is the portable or powerful. I'm also planning on getting both the Surface RT and Surface Pro but I admit that an RT device the price of the Asus device at $600 is a very tough sell.

Am i the only one who will be going with the ASUS Transformer Book?

Nvidia + i7 + 13" option seem ideal for me. I guess it will come down to how the 13" tablet feels in my hand.

Just preordered the 700 Pro on Amazon. $1200 for a device that's this capable with an IPS 1080P screen isn't bad. Not cheap but nothing cheap is the portable or powerful. I'm also planning on getting both the Surface RT and Surface Pro but I admit that an RT device the price of the Asus device at $600 is a very tough sell.

What is this 700 pro?

Am i the only one who will be going with the ASUS Transformer Book?

Nvidia + i7 + 13" option seem ideal for me. I guess it will come down to how the 13" tablet feels in my hand.

And isnt a 13" screen awfully large for it being portable?

How can you live with only 128GB on the ssd? Its closer to 100gb after windows. After I install matlab, autocad, inventor, solidworks, office and my other usual there would be no more space left.

I have Office 2013 Pro and Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate and a good amount of other stuff installed on my Samsung Series 7 Slate and the 128 GB SSD on it is only half full. In addition there's a microSD slot (the 700T Pro has one on the tablet section as well) for a total of 192 GB. For a 1.9 lbs. device not counting the keyboard dock that's not bad. No one device is perfect for everyone but the 700T is enough PC as well as a tablet. for most people.

I ordered mine from newegg. Amazon wanted $82 in taxes :( (I am fine with paying state taxes just not while in college)

Newegg claims 11/7 release date but I think that is them covering their ass on supply shortages. I emailed them about the difference in ship dates and they said it has a very high chance to ship on the 26th. If it comes late I still saved $82 fiat.

Amazon could come even earlier, looks like direct ship from Samsung. A big company with a shipping department may accident ship early. It could happen.

I ordered mine from newegg. Amazon wanted $82 in taxes :( (I am fine with paying state taxes just not while in college)

Newegg claims 11/7 release date but I think that is them covering their ass on supply shortages. I emailed them about the difference in ship dates and they said it has a very high chance to ship on the 26th. If it comes late I still saved $82 fiat.

Amazon could come even earlier, looks like direct ship from Samsung. A big company with a shipping department may accident ship early. It could happen.

Amazon doesn't add sales tax where I live and I have Amazon Prime so I got overnight shipping for $4. It'll be interesting to see how good the initial supply of devices like these will be. With Windows 7 it was always tough to get devices like these are launch but with 8 there's a lot more devices of course but I would imagine that numbers will be pretty low for each device.

And isnt a 13" screen awfully large for it being portable?

The 700T Pro has an 11.6" screen which is the same size as the Series 7 that I have now. Obviously that much bigger than most mobile OS tablets but of course this device is also a PC and 11.6" to me is the sweet spot between portability and productivity.

After reading reviews for the Sony Vaio Duo its making me rethink getting one. It seems neither the 700t or the Vaio Duo will be any good in laptop form. The concensus on the 700t is unstable and seems to tip over and the Vaio Duo has too small a keyboard and no trackpad. I can't quite decide yet. I might have to wait till next year for the next round if none of these hybrids can find a good middle ground for me.

After reading reviews for the Sony Vaio Duo its making me rethink getting one. It seems neither the 700t or the Vaio Duo will be any good in laptop form. The concensus on the 700t is unstable and seems to tip over and the Vaio Duo has too small a keyboard and no trackpad. I can't quite decide yet. I might have to wait till next year for the next round if none of these hybrids can find a good middle ground for me.

This is the most comprehensive review of the 700T that I've seen, it's in Russian and there are some quirks with a few things but the physical stability of the unit looks pretty good. I hope so as I pre-order one.

so did anyone here preorder the RT? looks like everyone so far is getting a windows pro tablet....

I was going to, but work bought me a TF700. They might get some RT's though so I can play with one atleast

This is the most comprehensive review of the 700T that I've seen, it's in Russian and there are some quirks with a few things but the physical stability of the unit looks pretty good. I hope so as I pre-order one.

Please link the Russian review.

Back