Who would've thought? Random lock-ups.

Skizzy

Supreme [H]ardness
I was asleep one night, and I awoke by the sound of my computer POSTing. I was confused, but concluded it was just a Windows Updated rebooting my computer. It happened again the same night, waking me up. I woke up, started looking around my Event Logs (which show no Warnings or Errors by the way), and it froze. I have tried reformatting, updating video card drivers, updating BIOS, running MEMTEST86, clearing CMOS, and none of these have cured it or helped me diagnose the problem.

I was watching a movie the other day on my computer, and it froze. Weird thing was, I continued to hear the video for about 20 seconds, but the screen was frozen, and couldn't move my mouse or use my keyboard (couldn't SEE me using it anyways).

My mouse has been acting up, so I thought maybe in some weird way, that's affecting the freezing. I unplugged it, using only my keyboard, but of course, it still froze. I can still hear the HDD activity, and the LEDs flashing, but nothing changes on the monitor. I have also tried different monitors, but that didn't help either.

tempsmx4.jpg

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/3595/tempsmx4.jpg
Temps; accurate.

Could it be a video card problem? When I get out of class, I will ravage through my old computers in hopes to find a PCI video card to test.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance,
Skizzy

How do you "hear" CPU activity? Do you mean hdd activity?
Whoops. I wrote this not long after I woke up.:rolleyes:

I also forgot to mention I encounter no abnormal stuttering or low FPS in games, when I can play them for the 10 minutes before it freezes.

I built my system in December '06 I believe, and the lock ups happened around the 14th or 15th of February.

Unfortunately I cannot find a PCI video card at the moment, so I don't know what to do.

Edit: I was thinking about an RMA, but I never registered my video card. Am I still able for an RMA?

I'd like to try a different PSU and a different video card, but I don't have those available, so I'd like to try and diagnose as much as I can before I go out and buy stuff.

I tried to do a ScanDisk, but the comp froze in the middle of it. I tried Safe Mode, but it froze in that as well. My Event Log actually has errors this time, and here they are:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, did not respond within the timeout period.
The server {F3A614DC-ABE0-11D2-A441-00C04F795683} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

All those were at times I was away from my computer. My computer froze twice while typing this, and no new errors are showing up.

I disabled automatic restart in hopes of some blue screens of death, but the comp. just freezes, showing no blue screens.

I will do my best to continue to try to run ScanDisk and see if I get lucky and have it finish. Tonight I will run MEMTEST86 all night as well.

Edit: I searched through my minidump, and the only file in there dated 02/26/07. It had the following in it:

k m i x e r . s y s `§ô Щô ÔÐA…d r m k a u d . s y s é÷ °é÷ üÐA…D M u s i c . s y s €Ôô PÕô $ÑA…a e c . s y s P¶ô €¸ô LÑA…s w m i d i . s y s €×ô `Øô tÑA…s p l i t t e r . s y s ÐÛ÷ ðÛ÷ œÑA…i m a p i . s y s Ш÷ p©÷ ÄÑA…C d a u d i o . S Y S л÷ ¼÷ ìÑA…S f l o p p y . S Y S

Edit2: I ran chkdsk, and the cmd prompt just closed. Does that mean it finished?
I also ran verifier and sigverifier, all drivers are signed.

Getting a couple new errors...

The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.
This one happened right one a freeze. Though it doesn't show in the Event Log every time the computer freezes.

Error code 000000ea, parameter1 860fd878, parameter2 86ecaec0, parameter3 86d694e0, parameter4 00000001.
Got two of these within two minutes of eachother. Don't think they showed up on computer freeze.

Also, my computer is still not creating minidump files. Any reason why?

Your video card drivers are corrupted. So uninstall them, reinstall the latest drivers and see what happens.

Finally, someone replies :D Thank you for the reply.

Your video card drivers are corrupted. So uninstall them, reinstall the latest drivers and see what happens.

I have; lots of times. Used Driver Cleaner and everything. Hell, I even uninstalled my drivers and used no drivers at all and it still froze. The reformat didn't help either.

Back