who will buy i7 965 EE plz jump in

I'm thinking an Asus P6T and 6GBs of RAM for my 965 i7. I'm not sure what memory company or brand, I'll wait to see what's cheap and fast around thanksgiving when I buy my parts. Also thinking about GTX 260 SLI to go with it. I think I'm going to have fun. :D

cool i would love to go asus to but my past experience is very bad with their service

Planning a completely new system build:

Core i7 965 EE
EVGA X58
3x GTX280's
6GB DDR3 1333 w/ 7-7-7-18 timings
Corsair HX1000
Silverstone TJ07
300GB Velociraptors in RAID 0
1TB WD Caviar Black

Planning a completely new system build:

Core i7 965 EE
EVGA X58
3x GTX280's
6GB DDR3 1333 w/ 7-7-7-18 timings
Corsair HX1000
Silverstone TJ07
300GB Velociraptors in RAID 0
1TB WD Caviar Black

wow that's going to be HUGE step up from your current sig rig (do not forget 30" ^^)

Yea it's definitely going to be a huge step up, I built my current rig when I was in 7th grade. Now I've finally saved up enough money to get the computer I really want.

I probably can't afford that much =/ Is there a reason to get the EE other then unlocked multiplier? Does it really OC that much higher?

I probably can't afford that much =/ Is there a reason to get the EE other then unlocked multiplier? Does it really OC that much higher?

The EE probably won't overclock all that much better than the standard chips, although obviously there will be some improvement. Take a look at Kyle's overclocking video and you'll see just how easy it is to overclock even a 920 to a fairly high speed.

The EE probably won't overclock all that much better than the standard chips, although obviously there will be some improvement. Take a look at Kyle's overclocking video and you'll see just how easy it is to overclock even a 920 to a fairly high speed.
The EE will reach higher speed more easy with less strain on the system and therefor higher clocks, but the lower end will OC better procentagewice and a small amount will hit high, but only for benching and not something that you can use 24/7.
At least thats what i hoping for but reserve for more results and not just the benchresult that still is out there, i need something a plain user acheve for 24/7 with retails bought from regular stores before i decide on witch CPU that will be my pick for the holiday and to spend the tax return on.
But i am sure we s regular and locked but cheaper i7 965 just before it goes 30nm, just like the X6850 becomes E6850 and QX9650 become Q9650 that will do the same speeds.

Mobo for me will most sure be Rampage II Extreme if not a EVGA X58, still undecided tho.

Memory bandwidth is the same in all, it comes down to how fast you're running it. The EE has a significantly higher bandwidth in the QPI bus (CPU to chipset), but if that actually will result in any real world gains is unknown. The hypertransport bus in A64's didn't benefit from OCing at all, and the standard guidance was to adjust your settings there to keep it *below* stock instead of above.

a week to go

hopefully EVGA will release their board on 17th as intel launch date

GJ Pao, sorry for not getting any of your stuff or buying them. When I saw i7 I was infatuated. I will get the asus X58, forget which one and the 920. But yea, I hope you put some benches up to help the rest of us decide if its worth transferring over to i7 and x58.

GJ Pao, sorry for not getting any of your stuff or buying them. When I saw i7 I was infatuated. I will get the asus X58, forget which one and the 920. But yea, I hope you put some benches up to help the rest of us decide if its worth transferring over to i7 and x58.

once i have i7 in my hand i will parting out my other rig ^^

im not sure of all the parts im getting with the i7 965 EE, but i do know the motherboard im getting :)

Meet the ASUS X58 Rampage 2 Extreme :D

And Pics..i couldn't resist haha

opd7k4.jpg

24042921605l.jpg

24042924630l.jpg

i love all feature that ASUS provide and board layout is awesome, overall on board is a lot better than EVGA offer but have to say that ASUS customer service is really bad, so i decide to go with EVGA also i can step-up to FTW version (with NF200 chip) on Christmas

^^

i love all feature that ASUS provide and board layout is awesome, overall on board is a lot better than EVGA offer but have to say that ASUS customer service is really bad, so i decide to go with EVGA also i can step-up to FTW version (with NF200 chip) on Christmas

^^

but dont boards like Rampage 2 Extreme offer both SLI and CrossfireX out of the box? I know i read somewhere that all the boards are capable but need to be nVidia verified, but the Guru3D review tested the board on both SLI and CrossfireX, so does it support both?

From the Review

Much like the ASUS P6T Deluxe (which we'll have a review on this week), the Rampage Extreme II has three PCI-E graphics slots, the Rampage Extreme II however can handle 3-way SLI and CrossFire.

Link

the only x58 I know of that does tri-sli at x16 x16 x16 is the ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution, the Rampage II I believe does x16 x16 x8, but I could be wrong?

all the board right now from x58 will support up to 36 lane if you need more that 36 ie tri-sli + phsyx you need NF200 chip on board which is not available right now

the only x58 I know of that does tri-sli at x16 x16 x16 is the ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution, the Rampage II I believe does x16 x16 x8, but I could be wrong?

eVGA's X58 boards will also support full-speed tri-SLI. I'm sure the list will be longer when more info gets out.

Didn't we already have a 965EE processor? You'd think Intel would have come up with a new number.

Noway in hell would I pay over $1000 for a CPU that can be had with minimal overclocking for $300 (i7 920). If you need to pay nearly 3 times as much just for your CPU to increase your epeen then I pity you.

Love the layout of the REII and how the top PCI-e is still usable for a Xfi-Titanium even with 2-slots cooler in TRI-SLI/TRI-CF.
Step-up vanilla-FTW might not be an option as that is not the general policy of EVGA.
eVGA's X58 boards will also support full-speed tri-SLI. I'm sure the list will be longer when more info gets out.
EVGA regular X58 are X16/X16/X8 i read that jAkUp from EVGA said so in his OC thread of the 920 @XS and the regular X58 is only "software" SLI that is limited to 16/16/8, hardware SLI of 16/16/16 requier the infamus nf200-chip and those boards is still in the works i belive.

trudude: there is no warranty that a i7/920 will do what a i7/965
can do when both fully OC:ed to the limit.
And there is still a luck of draw to get a good CPU that loves OC, just like you an get a 965 that is a POS in OC and want V-core lika a heavy drinker.

EVGA regular X58 are X16/X16/X8 i read that jAkUp from EVGA said so in his OC thread of the 920 @XS and the regular X58 is only "software" SLI that is limited to 16/16/8, hardware SLI of 16/16/16 requier the infamus nf200-chip and those boards is still in the works i belive.

It would have to be 16/8/8 then, not 16/16/8, since the X58 chipset has only 36 PCI-E lanes. Based on something I read I was under the impression that all of eVGA's boards will have the NF200 chip, but I guess not.

It would have to be 16/8/8 then, not 16/16/8, since the X58 chipset has only 36 PCI-E lanes. Based on something I read I was under the impression that all of eVGA's boards will have the NF200 chip, but I guess not.

Yupp, you are right and wrong the same time as if you use SLI and 2 PCIe ports then it is x16 to both but adding a third card of any kind will ruin it down to 16/8/8 and thats why i love the REII layout that has a PCIe 1x above the top slot and not jams a Xfi-titianum between there.
But the EVGA X58 FTW will be wide open as it will have nf200 chip as i read.

Yupp, you are right and wrong the same time as if you use SLI and 2 PCIe ports then it is x16 to both but adding a third card of any kind will ruin it down to 16/8/8

That's the point. The board is not 16/16/8, it's either 16/16 or 16/8/8. So I'm not wrong in any way.

i need 2 x16 for my xfire 4870x2 and another x8 for my raid card seem nothing fit my need yet

i'm looking toward MSI eclipse+ saw in provantage @ $370

Oh bloody hell . . . I can't take it anymore . . . I think I'm going to have to jump on the i7 bandwagon!!!

I thought I could max out my p45 system and have it hold me over for another 6 months to a year . . . but I guess I should've known better. Who was I kidding?

Now, which motherboard to get???

I might if the X58 mobos dont cost upwards of $350 kangaroos. I have been putting aside money for an upgrade and I was supposed to do one In the summer but alas I have not. So I kept piling up cash for my new system. I just dont want to spend more than 1.2k on the mobo and cpu since ill prbly be an early adopter.

I am not going to be an early adopter this round. I'll revisit this in 6 months when the results are conclusive.

Back