Who else isnt impressed?

-freon-

Limp Gawd
The specs for the PS3 look good and all, but im just not that impressed.
When you look past all the marketing BS numbers, It's the same thing as an XBox 360, only coming out months later. I think Sony is now in the position MS was with the XBox. They are going to need a couple REALLY GOOD exclusive titles to drive sales (in the US anyway). They do have the name and reputation to help them out, but that will go a lot further in Japan than here.

Well they have definiatly been able to show far more impressive demos than MS has with their Xbox 360. Of course there is much humbug and all but Xbox 360 and PS 3 doesn´t impress at all in term of features. They are just more powerful variants of the old consoles.

If they get the next GTA exclusive they will be set. Doesn't matter what other games they have then. That game single handedly sold millions of PS2's just for that game alone.

I'm not really impressed by any consolle really. Not that I really have anything against consoles per se I just think they are a terrible waste of money, especially with computers. Don't get me wrong, consoles are great for certain games that just don't work well on the PC. But overall, I'd much rather have a desktop for gaming.

I never owned a console aside for an Atari 2600, Commodore 64 and a Nintendo when I was growing up. They never really appealed to me, I had always had computers for gaming.

With FFXI going to the 360, and EA "EA 100% commited to a successful launch for the XBOX" (from Conference, said by EA president) it will be a game of catch up. I actually dont play any EA games now that I think about it. But I know that the Madden lemmings will come out in droves to play the latest and greatest.
I dont know what the timeline is like, but if MS could somehow coincide the release of Halo 3 with the release of the PS3 I think Sony would be in some trouble.
Grand Turismo is a great game, it was so different and came at such a perfect time (right at the begining of the "tuner revolution") but that alone cannot sell a $400 console 10 million times over. Maybe they will have some great first day/week/month numbers, but without FFantasy its going to be tough.

Unless of course they get exclusive rights to GTA, that will sell a console (after markdowns).

-note this is all my opinion.

Moose777 said:
I'm not really impressed by any consolle really. Not that I really have anything against consoles per se I just think they are a terrible waste of money, especially with computers. Don't get me wrong, consoles are great for certain games that just don't work well on the PC. But overall, I'd much rather have a desktop for gaming.

I never owned a console aside for an Atari 2600, Commodore 64 and a Nintendo when I was growing up. They never really appealed to me, I had always had computers for gaming.

you're just like my friend, except the opposite.. he said he wasnt impressed w/ PC and the pc he had was the packardbell which barely play Day of defeat and he never bought PC again.. now he owns all consoles and never look back to PC again..

ninethreeeleven said:
if MS could somehow coincide the release of Halo 3 with the release of the PS3 I think Sony would be in some trouble.

That's exactly what they are doing is it not?

Personally I am a console and PC gamer. I currently own an XBox, Cube and the PC in my sig (for some reason I never got into the PS2 side of things). I think next gen i will def get an XBox360, will attempt to keep my PC current. As for the Nintendo revolution and PS3, not sure. Probably get the NR and the PS3 will get overlooked depending on what games it has that I want (if any).

It's ALWAYS the games that break or break a console.

Right back when it was the Megadrive (Genesis) versus the SNES. The megadrive had it's own exclusive games and the SNES had it's. There were quite a few and it was more than enough to keep a person on one side or the other depending on their preference.

These days there seems to be alot less of this and I reckon it's made the market alot less stable. I think we're gunna see quite a gap between 1st and 2nd place in the next gen console war.

[bitch]Not that I car much since I fucking hate consoles and think they ruin the entire gaming industry with their inherently shitty dumbed down nature. :D[/bitch]

The last real console I owned was a Super Nintendo. :(

I had a playstation, it wasn't exactly mine ;) but it sucked, had to turn it upside down to make it play games. My roommate had a PS2, but he was always into the sports games, which are fine when you are playing with like 4 people, but other than that, I have never been impressed with the Playstation realm. Another friend has an XBox, which I hate because its so big, and the controllers are big; with XBox360, it looks a little better. Plus, if its backwards compatible, i will get one just so I can play Halo, and a few other games i will steel from my buddy.

I do like the fact that they both are including wireless controllers this time, I mean its about time with the technology we have, they should include them. Though, I still think the cheap asses should give you two controllers, and a memory card.

I'm wondering how a PC is going to compete with these processors (TWELVE simultaneous HD streams?), a paltry dual-core A64 isn't going to be able to keep up. AMD and Intel need to get the ball rolling, at this point I'd rather have an IBM CPU in my computer (which I do, but...uh, whatever). It looks as if console ports to PC are going to have to be slimmed down.

Betauser said:
you're just like my friend, except the opposite.. he said he wasnt impressed w/ PC and the pc he had was the packardbell which barely play Day of defeat and he never bought PC again.. now he owns all consoles and never look back to PC again..
Hehe, I used to have a Packard Bell, I didn't even think they were still around. It sucked to play games on. I've now got an HP Laptop that gets very little use, and HP Pavillion which sucks ass and is the process of being rebuild and modded to all hell, and an AMD that I hand built back in November that is solely for gaming.

The HP Crapvillion is only used to surf the net and play old school games that it can actually run like Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, D00M. The AMD is used for the higher end stuff.

Abysmal said:
I'm wondering how a PC is going to compete with these processors (TWELVE simultaneous HD streams?), a paltry dual-core A64 isn't going to be able to keep up. AMD and Intel need to get the ball rolling, at this point I'd rather have an IBM CPU in my computer (which I do, but...uh, whatever). It looks as if console ports to PC are going to have to be slimmed down.

Consoles are built with single process priority to run a single/simple process. Thats why you cant just toss your console game into your PC and it run. PCs are build on a broader scale with multitasking as the main idea, not game play.

ninethreeeleven said:
With FFXI going to the 360, and EA "EA 100% commited to a successful launch for the XBOX" (from Conference, said by EA president)

Is this the truth ! I have not heard this. The main sticking point of me buying an XBOX 1 was there was no FF, allthough I bought one anyway. Is it really true that both Halo, Final Fantasy will be on the XBOX 360 ?

If this is true I am already sold on the 360.

bonkrowave said:
Is this the truth ! I have not heard this. The main sticking point of me buying an XBOX 1 was there was no FF, athough I bought one anyway. Is it really true that both Halo, Final Fantasy will be on the XBOX 360 ?

If this is true I am already sold on the 360.

well they will have the creator of the FF series...and yeah i'm with you, xbox and sony pretty much have the same 3rd parties so i'll switch to xbox...and halo would def be there

fibroptikl said:
It's not the consoles that impress me the most, it's the games.

QFT.

Anybody who picks a console over its name rather than the games it supports is not a gamer but some sort of wanna-be. I did not buy the XBOX or GC because they did not have games I enjoyed. The PS3 had games I enjoyed (GTA, FF, and DDR at the time). I will buy the next gen console again based upon what games they have. I don't care if it looks like a third generation inbred...if it plays the games I like...then i'll buy it.

It is wireless...hide it in a freaking box if it makes you happy. Hrm...head every night from an ugly woman or a frigid beautiful bitch who wears a chastity belt...you chose :D Me, i'll turn out the lights and be happy. :p

-tReP

I think i will get one of these consoles, but saying right now which one I am going to buy is just stupid,

I have to see which console has the better games, that is why I bought a PS2. It had much much better games than the Xbox, and it eventually won in the end. We'll see what happens on the software side.

-freon- said:
The specs for the PS3 look good and all, but im just not that impressed.
When you look past all the marketing BS numbers, It's the same thing as an XBox 360, only coming out months later. I think Sony is now in the position MS was with the XBox. They are going to need a couple REALLY GOOD exclusive titles to drive sales (in the US anyway). They do have the name and reputation to help them out, but that will go a lot further in Japan than here.

Have you actually seen the Killzone 2 footage?

Suggestion: stop worrying about specs, start thinking about the games.

I'm grabbing both. I might have to get a Revolution (confirmed to be the thing's final name) depending on just what is so Revolutionary about it.

As far as I know, the rumors that X360 will be receiving FF is way overblown. From what I read, it was just a two-game contract with Hironobu, not even necessarily SquareEnix, and it should be noted that Hironobu has his own studio side-project now, and there has been no word that I have seen that the contract is either with SquareEnix or involved in bringing the FF Franchise over to X360.

I think the X360 is a year too early, after selling so many XBoxes and PS2s over the holidays, the mainstream consumer base may be resistant to an upgrade so soon. Obviously the Bonds like me and most of the people here aren't resistant, but when a powerful, BACKWARDS-COMPATIBLE (an EXTREMELY significant feature from a marketing standpoint) PS3 hits the market, Sony will still be in the driver's seat. The market leader title is theirs to lose at this point, just like it was for Nintendo after the NES and the SNES. (and lose it they did.)

doublejbass said:
I think the X360 is a year too early, after selling so many XBoxes and PS2s over the holidays, the mainstream consumer base may be resistant to an upgrade so soon. Obviously the Bonds like me and most of the people here aren't resistant, but when a powerful, BACKWARDS-COMPATIBLE (an EXTREMELY significant feature from a marketing standpoint) PS3 hits the market, Sony will still be in the driver's seat. The market leader title is theirs to lose at this point, just like it was for Nintendo after the NES and the SNES. (and lose it they did.)

You do know that the XBOX 360 is backwards compatible right ? Hell, its on the front page of HardOCP.

:rolleyes:

bonkrowave said:
You do know that the XBOX 360 is backwards compatible right ? Hell, its on the front page of HardOCP.

:rolleyes:
You do know according to Microsoft it's only backwards compatible through EMULATION, and MS said it will only work on the most popular Xbox games, so basically just Halo.

Banko said:
You do know according to Microsoft it's only backwards compatible through EMULATION, and MS said it will only work on the most popular Xbox games, so basically just Halo.

It does not basically mean just Halo. And because it is done through emulation, it is a safe bet to assume that updates for emulation, so you can play XBOX games on the 360 will be downloadable via whatever form XBOX live takes next.

bonkrowave said:
It does not basically mean just Halo. And because it is done through emulation, it is a safe bet to assume that updates for emulation, so you can play XBOX games on the 360 will be downloadable via whatever form XBOX live takes next.

That depends. In order to do a successful emulation, the emulator has to be customized for <each> game, otherwise, there's a good chance it'll get screwed up somewhere or more than likely crash. This is mainly because each developer has their own toolset and techniques for creating their content. This isn't like the NES emulators where basically everyone is using the same sprite techniques, we're talking about a high powered console with games using their own engines. Not only that, we're talking about completely different CPU and GPU, which does their computation processes completely different from the original XBOX hardware. Only the most popular XBOX games are gonna have their emulators done.

I'm currently more impressed with the PS3 demos and presentation than with the Xbox 360 (except for the fact that the PS3 is far uglier than the 360). However the only game that really has impressed me so far is Killzone - but of course, its too hard to say at this point whether that was actual gameplay footage or just scripted ingame shots. So far, I'm not buying any new console until at least a few months after launch.

i know this is kinda off subject...but no system will ever be better than the SNES....everygame gave me and my friends hours of gameply....
And that has the best game ever invented. Zelda...that was the best zelda ever
Im not all into the hype new systems...but thats just me
ok...my 2 cents...if yall care

also...i think the ps3 will definetly kik ass...specially if it can get cracked..:)

Sly said:
That depends. In order to do a successful emulation, the emulator has to be customized for <each> game, otherwise, there's a good chance it'll get screwed up somewhere or more than likely crash. This is mainly because each developer has their own toolset and techniques for creating their content. This isn't like the NES emulators where basically everyone is using the same sprite techniques, we're talking about a high powered console with games using their own engines. Not only that, we're talking about completely different CPU and GPU, which does their computation processes completely different from the original XBOX hardware. Only the most popular XBOX games are gonna have their emulators done.

Excuse me if I am wrong but I believe the PS3 is backwards compatible by emulation as well.

darknite said:
i know this is kinda off subject...but no system will ever be better than the SNES....everygame gave me and my friends hours of gameply....
And that has the best game ever invented. Zelda...that was the best zelda ever
Im not all into the hype new systems...but thats just me
ok...my 2 cents...if yall care

I do agree that the SNES was amazing.

Games like:

Zelda
Starfox
Final Fantasy 3
Chrono Trigger
Seceret of Evermore
Mario Cart

I could go on and on, and still forget a whole wack of them.

IndyJoe said:
Excuse me if I am wrong but I believe the PS3 is backwards compatible by emulation as well.

Yup. I'm waiting to see how they're gonna pull off that one as well :)

If XBOX managed to standardize the developers into strictly adhering to their XBOX's DirectX standard during the consoles lifespan, that would make things easier.

with kids having a huge attraction to consoles, thus making an online world inundated with them? HELL NO! I'll stick with the PC in hopes thier price or needed knowledge deter them

albeit intrigued, but no thnx. especially cause of kids attitudes and constant bs they bring to oinline gaming completely and utterly ruin it. bring age into online gaming because pc gaming is suffering the same fate

IM probably going to get the 360, mainly because the PS2s games lineup never impressed me, and I see no reason why teh PS3's will.

Im waiting for the gamecube2

The PS3 seems more impressive than the "three-sixty". 1080p, Dual HDTV, 7 Controllers.

As far as games....
God Of War 2
GTA 4
GT 5
Soul Calibur 3
Killzone
Devil May Cry 4

Sly said:
In order to do a successful emulation, the emulator has to be customized for <each> game, otherwise, there's a good chance it'll get screwed up somewhere or more than likely crash. This is mainly because each developer has their own toolset and techniques for creating their content.

So I have to run a Gran Turismo 2 emulator to run a PSOne version of GT2 on my PC? And then run a Raiden Project emulator to run that?
I don't think so some how.
And besides, the API is going to be common between the two - DirectX. When I play DirectX 5 games on my installation of DirectX 9, it works! Fancy that...

Sure, some games won't be playing by the rules, eg. exploiting bugs in software to get stuff done quickly, but most games will play ball I imagine.

I own all 3 current consoles and I find that I spend most of my time playing PC games instead.

I only use Xbox for Xbox Media Center and emulators for older consoles. PS2 I mostly use as a DVD player and Gamecube I mostly use to collect dust. Occasionally I'll play games on them but that mostly happens when I have friends over so we all play together.

I think that I'll probably get at least one of these new consoles. Maybe all 3 if I'm a big enough sucker or I get a decent paying job by then.

If I had to pick right now, I'd probably pick PS3 over Xbox 360. I never was much impressed with Xbox and I only got one to mod it about a year ago. Halo I dont care about. I never thought it was that good anyway and considering I play FPS on my PC all the time and playing FPS on a console just plain SUCKS, I dont feel the need buy a whole console just for Halo.

Just remember people, ITS ALL ABOUT THE GAMES!

oqvist said:
Well they have definiatly been able to show far more impressive demos than MS has with their Xbox 360. Of course there is much humbug and all but Xbox 360 and PS 3 doesn´t impress at all in term of features. They are just more powerful variants of the old consoles.

The problem with that is that most of what Sony showed was pre-rendered (Killzone 2, anyone?)

E3 isn't even close to being over. Each company still has a lot to show.

WickedAngel said:
The problem with that is that most of what Sony showed was pre-rendered (Killzone 2, anyone?)

E3 isn't even close to being over. Each company still has a lot to show.

Yeah that demo was rendered, alot of insiders say it was, plus just the gameplay, I mean, like, well if you watch it, it doesnt seem like anyone was actually playing it.

I've been a gamer since I was in my teens (I'm now 40), they can throw all the specs in the world at me but if they don't have the games I want to play I won't buy that particular console. I remember going to arcades and playing Donkey Kong, MS Pac-Man, Defender, etc.. and having fun playing those games even though the graphics of those game today would be laugh at by younger people, but what makes those game fun in my opinion was playability not the graphics. Don't get me wrong playing games today with realistic graphics is better than having terrible graphics; however, if the most of the games suck so does the console - no matter how great the games "looks" visually. What I'm hoping for is a game console that can do great virtual reality type games, it would be great for example playing a golf game with Tiger Woods (or your favorite PGA player) and thinking that your actually playing golf with them. However, I don't see that happening in the next 10 years at least.

ColinR said:
So I have to run a Gran Turismo 2 emulator to run a PSOne version of GT2 on my PC? And then run a Raiden Project emulator to run that?
I don't think so some how.
And besides, the API is going to be common between the two - DirectX. When I play DirectX 5 games on my installation of DirectX 9, it works! Fancy that...

Sure, some games won't be playing by the rules, eg. exploiting bugs in software to get stuff done quickly, but most games will play ball I imagine.

I know, that's why i mentioned the DirectX advantage in the post after that.

And Console->PC emulation isn't really much of an argument, PC's are flexible enough to emulate pretty much anything. Advanced Console->Advanced Console emulation is where it gets complicated.

The best PS compatible emulation on the PC (near 100% perfect) is done in software (VGS), the entire PS hardware is closely emulated in software with few approximations (Down to how triangles are processed. Slow as hell tho), it starts getting complicated when you introduce hardware acceleration. Artifacting, improper texturing, etc. don't come out quite right when done in hardware acceleration, some EPSXE plugins even have game specific options to minimize the rendering errors, most new ones can detect the game and change specific settings automatically. Imagine the performance impact when you try emulating GF3.5 hardware functions in software, you're likely to get the right results every time with no game specific correction, but at great performance cost.

The new hardware is from a different company, so they do things in a completely different way with different results. Sometimes those results are close enough they can pass through without needing much in the way of corrections, other times they get horrendous artifacting (missing polygons, corrupted textures, etc.) and requires extra application specific calculations to do them properly. Certain features, like how the hardware handles lighting, are patented, making emulation even more difficult. Imagine the first XBOX using ATI hardware and the XBOX360 using nVidia. And most developers makes use of ATI's Trueform. How the heck are they going to emulate that in hardware?

^^ Consoles dpont hae to emulate specific games, just the hardware architecture they were built on.

Basically, if you can emulate 1 xbox game, you can emulate them all,

Hate_Bot said:
^^ Consoles dpont hae to emulate specific games, just the hardware architecture they were built on.

Basically, if you can emulate 1 xbox game, you can emulate them all,
Well thats not neccisarily true. The PS2 could emulate older PS1 games, but not all of them worked. Most of them did, but there were a few older titles that didnt work.

Back