who does better 2d?

I have not used Nvidia in a long time so I cannot comment on that. However, I do not have any issues with 2d on my AMD video cards at 4k resolutions on Windows 10 Pro. Everything looks sharp, clear and fast.

Both are the same.
The only difference is you need to calibrate the display to suit.

Modern cards are extremely fast. Rendering 2D environments is not a problem for any of them. They should have zero noticeable performance differences. Just remember to turn disable the downclocking/booster bullshit that AMD and nVidia load their cards with.

Man, I remember when considering 2D performance was a concern.

Back in the day Matrox dominated 2D, while 3Dfx dominated 3D gaming. The ultimate combo was a Matrox Millenium and any card with 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics (the ultimate being the Canpus Pure3D with 6MB of VRAM vs the 4MB almost all other Voodoo cards had).

Nostalgia...

since it is digital, the differences should be fairly insignificant.

Since Vista, everything is rendered by the 3D part of the card, unless you turn off Aero (usually only for compatibility with older games).

Even though Windows 8 and up look flat compared to Windows Vista/7, they still use this rendering feature. So the fastest 3D card is the fastest Windows GUI card :D

Back