who do we credit linux for?

AndreRio

[H]ard|Gawd
the first gui was from xerox, then the mac copied, then windows copied the mac. who do we credit linux for? linux was always there, i was watching youtube videos about gui's and i was thinking, linux was very sofisticated, even before windows and the mac.

not sure what your question has to do with xerox, mac, or windows. The linux kernel itself was designed by Linux Torvald and combined with the GNU Software swuite by Richard Stallman. Since then it's been added to by countless individuals and companies.

edit: excuse me: Linus Torvald, not Linux Torvald

I reread your post again and realized your not asking about the kernel but the GUI, lol. In which case you're not asking about linux, because linux doesn't have a GUI, your asking about x-windows system, GNOME, XFCE, KDE, etc.

I reread your post again and realized your not asking about the kernel but the GUI, lol. In which case you're not asking about linux, because linux doesn't have a GUI, your asking about x-windows system, GNOME, XFCE, KDE, etc.

Don't forget about the i3 window manager. ;)

I've also noticed Windows 8 is copying Linux's ability to sleep/suspend unused programs in background when I look at the processes list in Linux Mint. I'm not sure if that's also available in OSX since it's based on Unix.

Well Linux owes it's origins to Unix. It was simply designed to be a compatible, comparable and free version of it essentially.

Well Linux owes it's origins to Unix. It was simply designed to be a compatible, comparable and free version of it essentially.

That's a good point.

I guess it is true: "Imitation is a sincere form of flattery." (... in some respects.)

We credit Linux for providing us with an open platform to further develop concepts like gopher and archie all the while decoupling us from commercial platforms like SunOS, HPUX and Irix which used proprietary and therefore expensive, hardware.

Back