White House announces $19.5B funding package for Intel

I hope there are some legal strings attached, and this doesn't just wind up being yet another instance of corporate welfare paid for by the people.
Well 8.5B is a grant contengent on their performance, and 11B is a loan (dunno if also contengent), according to Yahoo!.

The Chinese government has pledged to spend 5x more this year than last at TSMC to secure electronics for Military equipment and hardware. Makes sense to me that the US invest in Intel so they can do the same.

US military contractors are still struggling to get the chips they need made and are resorting to using FPGA’s in their place which are more expensive and slower.

The Chinese government has pledged to spend 5x more this year than last at TSMC to secure electronics for Military equipment and hardware. Makes sense to me that the US invest in Intel so they can do the same.

US military contractors are still struggling to get the chips they need made and are resorting to using FPGA’s in their place which are more expensive and slower.

One would think the Chinese government would have the same problem everyone else does when it comes to TSMC, competing with the likes of Apple for capacity, driving up prices.

It's not as if the PRC can control production schedules and allotment at TSMC, considering TSMC is in Taiwan, so they'll have to compete on price like everyone else.

One would think the Chinese government would have the same problem everyone else does when it comes to TSMC, competing with the likes of Apple for capacity, driving up prices.

It's not as if the PRC can control production schedules and allotment at TSMC, considering TSMC is in Taiwan, so they'll have to compete on price like everyone else.
Yet they still get routine preferred access to 7n and 5n nodes over other customers.
Meanwhile, in the USA they can't use TSMC at all and are still primarily using 45nm augmented with 14nm FPGAs.

Back