Which?

As of right now: Phone reboots constantly, battery loses about 10%/hour while idle, sound is so low, if the the phone is speaker-side down on my couch next to me, it's inaudible. Everything seems to be the same as it was with the G2x, but even with an early CM7 build and a custom rom by gtg465x (pretty much the only stuff out there), it still has just as bad a battery and audio. It reboots constantly with CM, but since it's an early alpha build, I won't count it against the phone.

That being said, the rest of the phone: The materials, the feel of the glass screen, the heft, the solid construction are wonderful. The screen is the only phone aside from the iphone where it FEELS like glass. Hopefully I just got a dud, but I'm not the only ones having this issue. I'll be swapping it for a Nexus or an Atrix2 for sure.

damn...

looks like i'll be holding out (for a very long time) for a cheap galaxy s2 i9100 then....

Yeah, I know. Even more reason why I'm getting either a Nexus or iPhone. Carriers have way too much control on their branded Android phones. I can't believe Vibrant owners are not getting Gingerbread because T-Mobile decided not to support it anymore. Argh.

And I'm just not convinced that Google's "crack down" really has any teeth. Sounds more like a recommendation than anything. Google could pull their support (Google Apps), but I doubt they would if Samsung or the carriers still continue to not provide timely updates or support the products for 18 months. Just don't think anything really going to change.

I like the Nexus phone :D

Recently upgraded from an EVO 4G to an EVO 3D...

The 3D camera/screen are actually more fun than I expected, but it's ultimately still a gimmick IMO, the two stage metal shutter button is awesome tho. Ultimately I'm happy with the upgrade, I went for it because of the improved battery life and decent non-Pentile qHD screen and both aspects have met my expectations. The phone idles like a champ (could go for 40+ hours unused) and I get a decent 4+ hours of use (that is, actual screen-on time, usually spent web browsing).

I've checked out the SGS2 and frankly I wasn't impressed enough with the screen quality to settle for 800x480. I definitely want my next phone to either be thinner (both EVOs are relatively beefy) or feature more metal construction like HTC's T-Mo/Euro models. I'd expect an even higher res screen and a better camera as well... I'm not in a rush to upgrade tho, even tho the EVO 3D underwhelmed some reviewers it made a better first impression on me than the EVO 4G.

The dual core SoC and extra RAM make it way more snappy and prevents the browser from constantly closing in the background when you're multitasking (as it did on the EVO 4G), it behaves a lot more like what I expected from the EVO 4G (my first smartphone). Anyone that claims the current dual core SoCs don't impact everyday usage is crazy or a lot less demandimg imo. I was tempted by the Photon since it's a world phone but Sense >>> Blur and I only travel outside of the country maybe once a year.

My EVO 3D has been really stable and not lacking in performance at all, the other reason (besides screen res) that I passed on the SGS2 is Samsung's awful track record with updates, hopefully it improves but AFAIK most Galaxy S first Gen phones are still waiting on Gingerbread.

I'm not averse to running an AOSP ROM like CM but there's a few little things that keep me on Sense ROMs as long as I'm rocking an HTC phone... The camera app, the lock screen shortcuts, music controls and, message previews, the way the ringer goes quiet when I pick it up and/or turn to upside down, and the FB contact integration (works better than FB's own app IMO).

Last edited:
@impulse

what are the battery specs?
when you talk about battery life and the phone's beefiness is some of the battery life attributable to a larger battery size?

I switched to Sprint from Verizon yesterday with the new Samsung Galaxy S 2 and was really impressed with the screen, but returned it after one day because where I live, I only got between 276/389k download and 164/357k upload inside my apartment, and only about 840k download 356k upload outside. Needless to say that this would not do one bit. Tried around the block and same thing with the 4G speed.

Also found that I kept on hitting the volume rocker, lowering the sound level over and over again, and that was not good unless I train myself to hold it lower. The heat against my ear was very warm as well. Nice looking phone but the 4G network is not matured enough in my neck of the woods....(Dunedin, Florida)

So you shot your old android phone, and got another android?

I've explained this before and won't again.

Jeez, what's with the trolling fanbois lately?

Because I hate your beloved Android OS I'm the troll? Give me a break.

I've used iOS and Android and nothing about Android has made me enjoy the experience.

I've used iOS and Android and nothing about Android has made me enjoy the experience.
you must hate being able to make phone calls too...

Came from a rooted Galaxy S 4G to an HTC Sensation a couple months ago. I haven't even rooted this one, I like it as is. Anker battery cycled a few times and Juice Defnder Ultimate = 16-18 hours with heavy use.

I'll probably skip a couple generations and see whats cookin' in the spring.

Prior: G1>MT3G>N1>Vibrant>G2>MT4G>Galaxy S 4G All w/ custom roms.

@impulse

what are the battery specs?
when you talk about battery life and the phone's beefiness is some of the battery life attributable to a larger battery size?

When I said both EVOs are relatively beefy I just meant they're thick phones, relatively speaking. They're no thicker than some Moto/LG phones (Photon, Bionic, etc) but some Moto phones and most of Samsung's lineup over the last year have lead in that department. It's not a huge deal, it's a difference of like 4mm at most, but it's there.

As for battery specs, the EVO 3D does come with a larger battery than the previous model (or even the similarly spec'd Sensation)... 1500 mAh vs 1750 mAh IIRC. Most high end phones come with a battery in the 1500 range, some have slightly larger batteries. The 4.5" SGS2 variants from TMo & Sprint have a similar battery as mine even even tho the 4.3" Euro AT&T versions have a 1500. The Atrix has one of the larger batteries out there, think it's 1900 mAh.

That being said, the efficiency of the SoC being used plays as large a role in battery life as the battery itself, if not larger. Even with a smaller battery the EVO 3D would behave better than the EVO 4G, it sips power at a lower rate when idle (more modern SoC built on a smaller process) AND being faster + dual core it finishes tasks faster too which allows it to go back to idle speeds quicker (so-called race to sleep).

Obviously that varies a lot from phone to phone, depending on the SoC used, manufacturer tweaks to Android, AND the radio baseband used which also has a large impact. Frankly I find that the only review site out there doing battery tests worth a damn is Anandtech, it's just a drag that their comprehensive phone reviews sometimes take up to a month depending on what else they've got on their plate and what writer is doing the review.

My captivate has a 1500 battery. I can't use a Tmo version of any phone because I'll lose my unlimited data plan if I do. So far it appears I'm the only dev with an unlocked sgs on tmobile so unless I do all the hard work myself comparing all of the base bands there is no information for my somewhat unique situation (att galaxy s phone on tmobile) in regards to call quality and battery consumption.

I like a thin phone so those 4mm will be noticeable to me, but sounds like it might be time to start holding this new wave of devices hitting the stores to see how they fit in my hand if the battery differences can be attributed to the processors as much as you're claiming.

Came from a rooted Galaxy S 4G to an HTC Sensation a couple months ago. I haven't even rooted this one, I like it as is. Anker battery cycled a few times and Juice Defnder Ultimate = 16-18 hours with heavy use.

I'll probably skip a couple generations and see whats cookin' in the spring.

Prior: G1>MT3G>N1>Vibrant>G2>MT4G>Galaxy S 4G All w/ custom roms.

Jeez you've upgraded a lot in just over two years... :p Even if I didn't mind spending that much in phones I think I'd go bonkers resetting everything so often.

Those 1900 Anker batteries are pretty good huh? I bought one for my EVO 3D too, $15 for the battery and a battery charger that doubles as phone charger (or even car charger since it has a microUSB AC-in port) was a steal. I haven't carefully tested mine but based on casual use I'd say it's good for an extra half hour of heavy use (over the stock one)...

I've yet to root my EVO 3D either but I probably will eventually, if for nothing else than Wifi tethering... I also want some of the tweaks I've seen on custom ROMs tho, infinite browser tabs (4's a real drag, dunno why HTC isn't doing 8 like everyone else), expanded Quicksettings, lower MMS compression, etc.

Last edited:
Jeez you've upgraded a lot in just over two years... :p Even if I didn't mind spending that much in phones I think I'd go bonkers resetting everything so often.

Those 1900 Anker batteries are pretty good huh? I bought one for my EVO 3D too, $15 for the battery and a battery charger thatdoubles as phone charger (or even car charger since it has a microUSB AC.in port) was a steal. I haven't carefully tested mine but based on casual use I'd say it's good for an extra half hour of heavy use...

I've yet to root my EVO 3D either but I probably will eventually, if for nothing else than Wifi tethering... I also want some of the tweaks I've seen on custom ROMs tho, infinite browser tabs (4's a real drag, dunno why HTC isn't doing 8 like everyone else), expanded Quicksettings, lower MMS compression, etc.
Between upgrades for me and my father in law(uses the same basic phone for years) and good deals on CL, I've had the ability to tinker.... well, except the N1....paid full price for that. :(

As far as the battery, I damn near called out a lot of people on XDA claiming they get 20 hours of life out of that battery... I was getting about 12ish hours with moderate use. However, following the "cycling" suggestion, I cycled the battery 3 times from 100% to 0%... I've gotten about a 5 hour increase, and if I use it moderately, not heavy, I can get damn near 20 hours.

Big difference, since every Android phone I've use would be lucky to make a full 8 hour work day.

Right now, I'm at 59% and 9 hours 46 minutes on the battery. I've used wifi, gps(Nav for a 45 mile trip), about an hour or so of talk time, maybe 70ish text messages, and 1-1.5 hours of web browsing.

My captivate has a 1500 battery. I can't use a Tmo version of any phone because I'll lose my unlimited data plan if I do. So far it appears I'm the only dev with an unlocked sgs on tmobile so unless I do all the hard work myself comparing all of the base bands there is no information for my somewhat unique situation (att galaxy s phone on tmobile) in regards to call quality and battery consumption.

I like a thin phone so those 4mm will be noticeable to me, but sounds like it might be time to start holding this new wave of devices hitting the stores to see how they fit in my hand if the battery differences can be attributed to the processors as much as you're claiming.

Well, the radio plays a role but I wouldn't think it'd behave drastically different on AT&T vs T-Mo unless you're standing in a low signal area... Outside of that there's plenty of info out there on what phones are more efficient or not, and the battery capacity is usually listed on the specs everywhere.

Aftermarket batteries with slightly larger capacity and the same size/weight are common too, tho there's also lots of scammers trying to overate batteries (sometimes going as far as selling 1000 mAh batteries as 1900 etc). Checking what people are buying for any particular phone on the XDA accessories board is usually the best way to find a solid one cheap. If nothing else, having a second one that's at least as good as the stock one is never a bad idea for traveling etc.

Motorola phones for some reason always have the best talk times, even across different SoCs and models/carriers. Look at the battery life charts on any Anandtech review, web browsing results can be all over the place, even between 3G and Wifi and even between phones with identical SoCs, yet there's always one constant, Moto phones are at the top of the talk time charts, whether it's a Tegra or TI SoC.

It's weird, I've no clue what kinda optimization Moto does for that, but since I don't talk a lot either I don't very much care. :p

You're trying too hard.
You said you hate everything about android.

Isn't the primary function of android phones to make phone calls?

So you must hate making phone calls.

Pretty easy assumption.

Nothing hard about it at all.

Right now, I'm at 59% and 9 hours 46 minutes on the battery. I've used wifi, gps(Nav for a 45 mile trip), about an hour or so of talk time, maybe 70ish text messages, and 1-1.5 hours of web browsing.

Yeah, sounds about right... Frankly with the EVO 3D I've stopped looking at total time on battery because I think it's irrelevant, the phone idles so well I could kill the battery in 5 hours of constant non-stop use straight off charger, or I could let it idle completely for 15 hours and then hammer at it non-stop and I'd still get nearly the same 5 hours of use...

So I've started looking mainly at the time listed for the display being on, since it usually accounts for nearly 70% of the battery use anyway... So when I said an extra half hour I was referring to that.

Right now I'm at 57% with 2h 14m of web browsing and email (display on manual brightness, helps a lot), plus a couple of short calls, phone's been off charger for 8h 45m. Display has been on 2h 14m and accounts for 71% of battery use, Wifi accounts for 8%, everything else (phone idle, browser, voice calls, system use) is like 6% or less each. I've got two email accounts and one calendar on push sync, a package tracker checking every four hours, and some rss/FB widgets which I think check in every 2 or 3 (plus calendar/agenda & music ones but I doubt those have any significant impact).

Well, the radio plays a role but I wouldn't think it'd behave drastically different on AT&T vs T-Mo
basebands behave drastically different between carriers for a lot more reasons than signal strengths and clearly you would not personally know otherwise since you wrote elsewhere that you stick with stock roms.

it sounds like youve got multiple variables that have changed between your old evo and the new one so there is no empirical evidence to attribute your battery gains to the soc vs the larger battery capacity. Test it while controlling for the variables to ascertain a more accurate understanding of what is causing the longevity.

Pretty easy assumption.

Except the vast generalization you're stretching for...

I've never had trouble making or receiving calls on either of my two Android/Sprint phones, tho I did get an Airave at home to mitigate Sprint signal issues. It was free tho and it's the only place where I had crappy signal. My sister spends the better part of the day with her Atrix glued to her head, we're taking about someone who sends/receives like 5,000 texts a month and racks up a similar amount I'm voice minutes, been a while since I've seen her bill...

No reboot issues, overheating, crashing, etc. I did have issues with my EVO 4G when I first rooted it, but a full wipe (once) fixed it all up. I did wipe in between (manual) updates tho, since it's really like reinstalling an OS.

Just because you've had stability issues doesn't mean most people with Android phones do, much less everyone.

basebands behave drastically different between carriers for a lot more reasons than signal strengths and clearly you would not personally know otherwise since you wrote elsewhere that you stick with stock roms.

it sounds like youve got multiple variables that have changed between your old evo and the new one so there is no empirical evidence to attribute your battery gains to the soc vs the larger battery capacity. Test it while controlling for the variables to ascertain a more accurate understanding of what is causing the longevity.

Umm, there's not a lot of variables in play when both phones are sleeping doing nothing and one consumes 2% in the same time that the other burns thru 10%. My EVO 4G was running much more optimized ROMs with less carrier bloat etc, and a custom kernel, so it even had that going for it.

This isn't any kind of secret, the vast majority of people on XDA have experienced the same thing... /shrug The EVO 3D isn't even the most efficient phone out there (personally I think the combination of a smaller Pebtile screen/battery size and Moto's tweaks have the Atrix near the top, also the lack of Wimax/LTE), but it's still a lot better than the 4G.

I really dunno why you find that claim so suspect. The EVO 4G had one of the first gen Snapdragon SoCs built on a 65nm process, same as the Nexus One, almost every new high end SoC since then has been built on smaller more efficient process... I think most are built at 45nm now. It's just like laptops or even desktops, smaller process usually means higher efficiency, even if performance also improves drastically.

The radios are more often integrated into the SoC now as well, which also helps (tho not for LTE/WIMAX or TMo's fastest HSPA+ variant, though the latter is usually less power hungry than anything LTEM/Wimax).

I did note that phones with the same SoC but different radios can behave drastically different, the Sensation fares better than the EVO 3D even tho they have almost identical internals, outside of the radios obviously (more memory & a 3D screen camera on the EVO). I can't claim I have any experience using import phones on US GSM carriers or AT&T phones on T-Mobile tho, nope. Wouldn't most AT&T phones used on T-mobile limit you to EDGE/2G speeds tho? Or is it only the other way around?

Last edited:
it's not a question of whether your statement is suspect or not, it's just simply how claims of factual basis need to be verified.

assuming that a smaller processor is more energy efficient is one thing. verifying that the longevity you're experiencing is due to that presumed increase in efficiency instead of the 125% battery capacity is another.

for example, without actual numbers it's not inconceivable that the "2%" drain you're comparing to the "10%" drain actually are using the same amount of voltage consumption.

in the context of my question, it means that I may not gain any difference in longevity if I want to retain the form factor I'm comfortable with using. I can buy a 1900 mah battery now and use an oversized battery compartment. I don't want to do that.

1750 vs 1500 is hardly 25%... And the mAh rating on these batteries is notoriously sloppy. I definitely wouldn't recommend a thicker phone on the promise of battery life, and I never said anything like that, I don't think one thing has anything to do with the other when looking at current phone designs... The EVO 3D's battery is physically larger but the same width as the EVO 4G's.

Hell the Sensation uses a battery that's physically identical to the EVO 3D's, they're interchangeable, yet the stock one on the Sensation is rated for 1500 mAh and the stock one on the EVO 3D is rated at 1750... And the Anker ones me and many are using are also physically the same size yet it's rated at 1900 mAh (tho I'm not sure that's accurate). Despite all that the Sensation still boasts better battery life, even with the smaller battery, and that's based on controlled empirical testing.

Plenty of thinner phones from Moto and/or Samsung have comparable or better battery life, yet they may not necessarily have larger batteries, which is why I said SoC efficiency and radios play an equally large role in battery life

1750 vs 1500 is hardly 25%... the Anker ones me and many are using are also physically the same size yet it's rated at 1900 mAh (tho I'm not sure that's accurate).
You're using a 1900 battery, which is 125% of 1500.

Why did I even have to point that out to you? You wrote you're using a 1900 battery in this post and this one:

Those 1900 Anker batteries are pretty good huh? I bought one for my EVO 3D too, $15 for the battery and a battery charger that doubles as phone charger (or even car charger since it has a microUSB AC-in port) was a steal. I haven't carefully tested mine but based on casual use I'd say it's good for an extra half hour of heavy use (over the stock one)...
so clearly you're not using a 1750 battery.
Most high end phones come with a battery in the 1500 range, some have slightly larger batteries. The 4.5" SGS2 variants from TMo & Sprint have a similar battery as mine even even tho the 4.3" Euro AT&T versions have a 1500. The Atrix has one of the larger batteries out there, think it's 1900 mAh.

That being said, the efficiency of the SoC being used plays as large a role in battery life as the battery itself, if not larger.
There is no empirical basis for your claim in this post.

I'm not really interested in engaging in a discussion with someone who just likes to argue for the sake of arguing...this is beyond silly.

Agreed, we've derailed the thread enough. However I started off with the stock 1750, only moved to the 1900 lately, and you have no idea what else did or didn't change in between my use of both phones to claim various other variables would influence my claim.

It has nothing to do with your dislike of Android and everything to do with the childish manner in which you are acting.

I'm pretty sure I posted the EXACT information the OP was looking for while giving my honest thoughts about my current phone.

At any rate, I currently have an Android and am now a very happy camper knping that October 4th Apple is announcing their new phone. I can't wait to pick up a 4 on the cheap after the 5 is released.

I'm pretty sure I posted the EXACT information the OP was looking for while giving my honest thoughts about my current phone.

At any rate, I currently have an Android and am now a very happy camper knping that October 4th Apple is announcing their new phone. I can't wait to pick up a 4 on the cheap after the 5 is released.
For a guy who hates phone calls, why do you even need a phone?

why not just buy an iPod and pretend you have the thinnest phone on the planet?

Pretty easy assumption.

For a guy who hates phone calls, why do you even need a phone?

why not just buy an iPod and pretend you have the thinnest phone on the planet?

Bless your heart.

Bless your heart.

lol

Anyone else super excited for the iPhone 5 unveiling? Even if you are like me and have no plans on buying an iPhone 5, the simple fact is, unless its a massive flop, it will drive down current phone prices, and drive competition for future phones...

As a sort of second answer to the OP (posted my plans earlier), I recently upgraded the girlfriend from an Evo Shift to a Nexus S on the cheap, and I can't get enough of that phone. Even though it has the same hardware as my Samsung Vibrant, it blows it away in speed and battery life... excited for the next Nexus phone... hopefully it have a version that will work on AT&T 3G :)

lol

Anyone else super excited for the iPhone 5 unveiling? Even if you are like me and have no plans on buying an iPhone 5, the simple fact is, unless its a massive flop, it will drive down current phone prices, and drive competition for future phones...

As a sort of second answer to the OP (posted my plans earlier), I recently upgraded the girlfriend from an Evo Shift to a Nexus S on the cheap, and I can't get enough of that phone. Even though it has the same hardware as my Samsung Vibrant, it blows it away in speed and battery life... excited for the next Nexus phone... hopefully it have a version that will work on AT&T 3G :)

Super excited? No. Interested? Yes. Look forward to seeing what else Apple kanged from elsewhere and claim it as their own. Plus, with the iPhone 5 unveiling, it means we're one step closer to Ice Cream Sandwich. :D

Super excited? No. Interested? Yes. Look forward to seeing what else Apple kanged from elsewhere and claim it as their own. Plus, with the iPhone 5 unveiling, it means we're one step closer to Ice Cream Sandwich. :D

Lol, well I guess because I'm not buying an iPhone anyway, my "super excited" really just applies to the iPhone 5 launch *plus* the general advancements we're slated to see this fall ... just a few more steps on the road to the PC in the pocket :)

I dunno about exited, but I'm certainly interested. I don't think the iPhone has ever really driven prices down tho (the multitude of free-$100 Android & WP7 devices do a better job of that), but it certainly fosters competition.

Apple has fostered some pretty great tendencies in the industry that might otherwise have taken much longer to develop. Pushing for higher res displays is one such trend that comes to mind. iOS 5 seems pretty derivative so far tho, more evolution than revolution. I'm gonna be disappointed if they aren't doing something truly unique on hardware at least...

Maybe another big jump in camera quality somehow? Or built in inductive charging a la Palm? Just something offbeat.

right now, using an iphone 4... Since I have an ipad, I have no real reason to upgrade. However, if/when sprint gets it... and their service is OK in my area, I might go to an iphone 5

Anyone else super excited for the iPhone 5 unveiling? Even if you are like me and have no plans on buying an iPhone 5
Yes to both of your questions.

Incidentally, I use my iPod touch 4g as a home phone via GV, sipgate, and groundwire. So I don't have to pretend I have the thinnest phone...I actually do :)

I dunno about exited, but I'm certainly interested. I don't think the iPhone has ever really driven prices down tho (the multitude of free-$100 Android & WP7 devices do a better job of that), but it certainly fosters competition.

I think a new iPhone *would* drive down cell phone prices: for someone like me. I primarily buy my phones second hand, off of forums and eBay/Craigslist, and usually the hot phone of the moment commands higher prices, while almost all others drop in price very quickly. The iPhone 4 was the hot phone of the moment since last year (although it seems to still sell for quite the premium on eBay), but at the current moment, the Galaxy S2 seems to have displaced it as the ultra expensive "it" phone in the second hand market....

So my hope is that an iPhone 5 is able to reclaim the "it" phone status the iPhone 4 had in the second hand market, and relegate the GS2 back to "just another android phone" status :)

I feel like anticipation for the iPhone 5 has *already* driven down second hand phone prices, I've recently been able to purchase an Evo 3D for only 275 on eBay, and even here on the [H] forum there is an HTC Sensation going for $330, when a month ago that was a $500 phone....

Oh, yeah in that sense I agree, it'll have an impact on the used phone market for sure.

Give him a break guys!!!:)

I had a Sony Ericcson for like 3 months in 2003 and then it just busted on me. Would not work at all. It was pretty cool because I used it as a modem with a dialup ISP via bluetooth with my iPaq to get online from anywhere.

After that I bought a Nokia that I had for like 3 years. Then I threw it against a wall in a fit of anger and two weeks later purchased the first iPhone the month it was released. I had that for awhile then upgraded to an iPhone 3GS.

My iPhone 3GS just stopped working one day. Completely busted. So I dealt with it and bought the iPhone 4 a few months after its release. That's what I have now. It's a great phone. But I find myself limited by its capabilities.

My next phone will likely be the Galaxy Note. I carry a notepad with me most of the time. And the note will allow me to ditch that. I also have experience with my girlfriends Galaxy S and I really like the way the android works. It's not as user friendly or smooth as the iPhone but it is more capable. I'm going to miss some of the iPhone only Apps but there are basic equivalents I can learn to deal with.

Currently using an EVO 4G and will continue to untill it gets killed by a lack of backwards compatability in android (hopefully a long ways off) or untill it gets broken and sprint refuses to replace it because it's past it's EOL cycle.

If I were going to upgrade right now, I'd probably go for either the Galaxy S2 or the upcoming Nexus Prime. If I were not allowed an Android phone for some reason, I might take an iPhone 4GS because I HATE what MS did to WP7 (Though I liked Windows Mobile 6.5 while it lived) and BBOS/Symbian just dont have the market share and compatibility I want.

Back