Which would you choose? SB or SB-E?

N1GHTRA1N

Gawd
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
781
Stay with current i7 920 @ 3.7GHz, 12GB OCZ DD3, Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard and wait until Ivy Bridge.

Or

Corsair 16GB (4x4) DDR3 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131760

Intel i7 2700K - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115095

for $802.47 + taxes and shipping

Or

Corsair 16GB (4x4) DDR3 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143

Asus Rampage IV Extreme http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131803

Intel i7 3930k http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492

for $1167.47 + taxes and shipping

Basically the SB-E system would be $412.45 more after taxes.

I know the performance might not be much more but what about future proofing? My current CPU/MB combo is almost 3 years old.
 
What are you using the system for? Is your current system limiting you in any way? An overclocked 920 is still a very potent and capable system, so unless you are finding yourself limited, I would sit on it and wait for Ivy Bridge. And really, there seems to be only a few very limited usage scenarios that would call for a SB-E system.
 
Stay with current i7 920@3.7 GHz and wait for Haswell.

If you want, a new GPU would be nice.

I only got my i5 2400 by coincidence. Only an ever slight performance increase from my 3.5+GHz Q6600 at BF3 and SC2. Desktop feels a bit snappier, but something I could live without.

Re: Futureproofing, 1155/2011 will probably be dead by the time Haswell ships. Just get a new rig if any of your main components die.
 
I'm not really feeling limited. I just have the upgrade bug. I'd like to wait and not spend the money but I love tinkering with my system. Maybe I'll build my first ITX system for fun with the money instead. I'd use it as a media PC in my bedroom. I've also been eyeing a 2560x1440 27" or 2560x1600 30" monitor too. Maybe that would be a better upgrade? Too bad replacing a monitor isn't as fun as replacing major system components.

As for a new GPU. I just bought a MSI HD 6970 Lightning last month. I bought a second one for SLI but ended up only using it for a week before deciding to not keep it. For my 1920x1200 res a single card was fine and I didn't need the extra heat in my system.
 
Just wait and save the money. A larger monitor isn't a bad choice if you feel a little constrained by 1920x1080/1200. Though you would need another HD 6970 if you want to game on high settings with that larger monitor.
 
Just wait and save the money. A larger monitor isn't a bad choice if you feel a little constrained by 1920x1080/1200. Though you would need another HD 6970 if you want to game on high settings with that larger monitor.

Yeah. I think I'm set on a new monitor instead now. I've read a couple more reviews and spending that money on a upgrade from my i7 920 doesn't make sense right now. I'll wait until Ivy Bridge and see what it brings. I've ordered another 6970 card and plan on getting a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 monitor for Christmas.
 
I don't get htpc. It used to matter but now even a $300 LCD or plasma will play movies/music etc. add a wifi stick and stream from the office drive.
 
Back
Top