• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which way for HSF fan?

  • Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 143938

Guest
Here is a pic of my current airflow set up:
http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=airflowjz9.jpg

The CPU (big block in the middle, left of the RAM) is a Big Typhoon.

Currently it's sucking air in (i.e taking air from case and blowing it towards the CPU/heatsink).

I just read that if my PSU (upper left corner in the pic) is taking air out, then the CPU fan should blow air out, instead of sucking in like it is right now. Is this true?

If it matters, the case cover has two grills with holes in it to allow air to pass.

So what I'm asking, for optimal airflow, should I keep the CPU fan sucking air in, or should I turn it around so it blows air out?
 
From what I understand, the CPU HSF is sucking air from the bottom half of the case and blowing it north? If so, that setup should work. Perhaps you can position it east ---> west so that it sucks from east and blows it west toward the back of the case and it would be propelled out by that rear fan. However, then you don't have much air circulation in the lower part of your case. I would probably leave it as is.

What are your temperatures with this current setup?
 
From what I understand, the CPU HSF is sucking air from the bottom half of the case and blowing it north? If so, that setup should work. Perhaps you can position it east ---> west so that it sucks from east and blows it west toward the back of the case and it would be propelled out by that rear fan. However, then you don't have much air circulation in the lower part of your case. I would probably leave it as is.

What are your temperatures with this current setup?

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cooling/Tt_Big_Typhoon/1001.html
 
The fan on the heatsink should be blowing into the heatsink fins. The way you have it set up now is the best orientation.
 
The fan on the heatsink should be blowing into the heatsink fins. The way you have it set up now is the best orientation.

Are you sure? That's how it came in the box, but that doesn't make much sense.

The copper... holders, whatever the are, transfer heat to the fins. That means that the fan is blowing the heating coming up, back down into the CPU itself, no?
 
I am no expert here so take what I say with a grain of salt.
I would honestly think that the fan on top of the heatsink should be getting the air away from the cpu,hence blowing it out and away from the cpu.

With the cou generating heat why should the fa blow the hot ass air back at the cpu?It doesn;t make sense.On my gfx chilla it is mounted to the chip on my hd4850.The 2 fans are connected to the fins and it is blowing the air away from the card.My temps dont go over 50C load
 
Wouldn't trying it both ways and going with the set-up that give the best performance be the way to go? I have heard having the air blow into the sink works best usually, but there are exceptions to everything.
 
I have my asus silent knight II facing the upper fan on my antec 900 and all is running cool.
 
My stock gateway pc has the fan sitting on the heatsink and blowing the hot air away from the cpu.
 
That's how it came in the box, but that doesn't make much sense.

Sure it does, for the same reason the Intel stock heatsinks are set up that way. The downdraft provides air movement for cooling the cpu voltage regulation circuity around the cpu socket. These components need some air movement for stability and long life.

A very common problem is with the tall tower heatsinks that blow air out the back of the case, the cooling for the cpu voltage requlation circuitry is compromised.

Personly I like Cajunheat's idea with one modification, I would somehow get a small fan to direct air over the upper part (near the cpu socket) of the heatpipe and the other heatsink near the cpu socket for the cpu voltage regulator MoSFETS. Once that concern is addressed it may be that having the heatsink fan orientated so its exhaust can easily be exhausted by the power supply would be best but like Cajunheat suggested, it should be trivial to try it both ways and a copy of coretemp or realtemp and a stress program will tell you the actual story and you will not have to depend on a bunch of armchair (computer chair ? ) experts, myself included, taking guesses.

Give it a shot and let us know, If you dont have a extra fan around it would not hurt to run the system without it until you can get one unless you are overclocking the bejezzus out of it. One other thing you can do is just stick a finger on the heatpipe and that other heatsink and get an idea of their temps with both fan orientations. If you cannot press your finger on the sink and keep it there for a slow count of 5 or it feels very hot (it should get fairly warm and thats not really a problem) then you certainly need some air on those sinks regardless of which way the cpu fan is pointing.
 
I did try flipping the fan today and you're right.

With the fan blowing air back into the CPU, I would get ~65 load.
With the fan blowing air away from the CPU, I would get 69-70 load.
 
Back
Top