Which version of Windows Server 2003 would I need?

JP

Limp Gawd
Building a DVR for our small office and need to get a license for it.

Now all its going to be doing is just recording and its recommended to use a "server" operating system.

Which version of 2003 would I need? I ask since I assume I dont need CAL's? Maybe I am the only one that might need to access its shared drive to grab random images and such, but even then I doubt it since I can do all of this from the remote program for the DVR.

Technically my question is, do they have Windows 2003 maybe without CALs so its cheaper? Or what exactly is the point of CAL's?

Or should I just try and find Windows 2000 with SP4 since it might be cheaper for what I am using? The system is a dual Opteron machine with RAID 5, and maybe 2-4gb of ram if it makes any difference.

you can get cal less versions on ebay( I have Win2k3 enterprise cal-less from the AMD tech tour)

With your specs and everything, Seriously just use WinXP either Pro or MCE(Cheaper)

If you're set on a server OS(NO reason as you're not using any of its functions) Get Win2k Server

CALs are Client Access Licenses which are required for every concurrent file/print connection to the server. A base 2003 Server license with 5 CALS is around $800 retail.

I have yet to see a DVR system that suggests a server OS. From what I have seen so far, every DVR sold is either WinXP or Linux based.

Dell had some nice deals on small biz servers with SBS2003 for about $500 or so (including server)

dbwillis said:
Dell had some nice deals on small biz servers with SBS2003 for about $500 or so (including server)

SBS is way overkill for a DVR system. DVRs should be standalone systems that perform no other task but the recording and playback.

Besides that the OP cannot get away with installing just Server 2003 from the SBS disks since the hardcoded licensing would shutdown the server after a certain time period.

Back