• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which to Choose?

tommyxv

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
283
Which will be better for me?
No desire to overclock or play games, just want Fast Loading apps while multi-tasking like Adobe Apps, Office Apps, etc.

Core i7 920 2.66Ghz with
- 12GB Triple Channel 1333MHz DDR3

OR

Core i7 960 3.2Ghz with
- 6GB Triple Channel 1067Mhz DDR3 RAM
- 9GB Triple Channel 1067Mhz DDR3 RAM
 
how about getting the 920 and clocking it up to 3.2, otherwise just get the 960 if you have the cash?
 
Find a good batch 920 and go with that - OC it, might as well. It is very easy and you can save yourself some money, get the 12gb and be a bit more 'future proof'
 
More RAM = better.

You won't notice a performance difference between the Core i7 960 and Core i7 920 even without overclocking.
 
In order for me to get 12GB ram I would have to get 6 2GB modules and fill up all my slots. It is still triple channel if you fill all slots?
 
In order for me to get 12GB ram I would have to get 6 2GB modules and fill up all my slots. It is still triple channel if you fill all slots?

As long as you have ram in multiples of 3's you will run in triple channel.
 
Get the i7 920 and overclock it to i7 960 speeds. No point in spending the extra $ for the 960 when the 920 can be overclocked to those speeds (and beyond in many cases). The money would be better spent getting quality DDR3 1600 RAM or upgrading other system components.
 
Get the i7 920 and overclock it to i7 960 speeds. No point in spending the extra $ for the 960 when the 920 can be overclocked to those speeds (and beyond in many cases). The money would be better spent getting quality DDR3 1600 RAM or upgrading other system components.

+1

Not sure if anyone has failed to get to 3.2Ghz on a 920, its piss easy to do and just use the stock fan that comes with it.





.
 
Yea actually id go I7 920, use the saved money and buy a SSD which will provide "Fast Loading apps" which of course is more hard drive related. Certainly a lot more benefit than buying a 960 with a standard hard drive.
 
I have an extra 920 I am selling - so if you're looking let me know, should do at least 3.4
 
i dont see why u would need 9 or 12gb of ram i am sure that is overkill go with the 920cpu and 6gb of ram then get a nice ssd drive with the saved money
 
if you like faster loading, SSD will make more difference than the faster CPU by a long shot. I have had great luck with the OCZ ones, I am sure the intel or any indilinx(sp?) based one will do you nicely.
 
i will say get a 920 DO and the extra money you were going to spend use it on a SSD drive
 
How do I find the DO 920?? It there are model number? I was going to order it from NewEgg
 
Stepping would be SLBEJ for D0 stepping.. but pretty much ALL new 920's are D0 stepping.. at least from what I've seen.

There is no way to request a D0 from newegg, and unless newegg has bought some old stock you will get a D0.

As far as which SSD's to consider. I have 2 Intel X25-m 80GB G2's in RAID0 which I am very happy with, but the OCZ Vertex , and Gskill Falcon SSD's are good options as well.

And yes it is very easy to clock a 920 to 3.2ghz, mine did 3.55ghz with stock volts.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I ordered the 920 last night. I am using the Antec Mini P182 Micro-ATX case for this build. This is my first M-ATX build...any recommendation on a MB?
 
look up reviews man. normally the gigabyte boards are great. i have had great luck with gigabyte boards and will only use those now. get some good case fans and aftermarket cooler
 
i920, dont worry about the stepping, you'll easily get 3.2GHz without a sweat regardless of a D0 or not. Then 12Gb of 1600MHz ram (why not? Not much price difference between the speeds and will be good for an overclock :) )
 
Back
Top