Which Steam games do you regret buying and why?

Hmmm..I'd say CoD:MW2 (got me on one of those free weekends and was $50) and GRID (got for $5, but still such a lame game, thought it would be fun after playing dirt 2). I also feel like I am going to regret buying the FEAR pack..but I guess I shouldn't be prejudice..

Battlefield BC2. I think I played 20 minutes of it and bought it on release. It's probably a great game, just never felt like getting in to it.

Forgive me if my mouse finger in my late 20s isn't what it used to be at 15 years old. Titan Quest killed my finger and made me afraid for the survivability of my favorite mouse. Diablo 3 is an avoid because of this :)

You can hold the mouse button down and the game plays just as well. Lots of fun, and it doesn't have to be a clickety spamfest.

Battlefield BC2. I think I played 20 minutes of it and bought it on release. It's probably a great game, just never felt like getting in to it.

I know what you mean, I played the beta and the hitbox detection was all over the place.

Played it at a friends house on his top of the line comp and it was the same thing really

lost interest right then and there.

Pacific Storm. Both Steam and DVD...

The potential that game had was astounding but so many bugs and the team being forced to work on other projects ruined it.

Spellforce and Spellforce 2. I wasn't expecting them to be very good games, but Steam lists them as co-op. I was looking forward to playing the campaigns with my wife. They are as co-op as Starcraft is. You can play co-op, but you can't play the campaign in co-op.

Valve doesn't have time to test every single game on their service. It really just comes down to that. It would take a lot of time and money to do so.

That's either false or BS.

Gametap costs me $5/month. For that I get access currently to ~900 games. This includes fairly current games like Ghostbusters and Sniper Ghost Warrior.

Every single game on Gametap has been tested.

If you're correct, it might explain why/how in the hell Gabe got so fat, though.

But Steam certainly could have every game in their library tested by themselves, if they really wanted to. If they're not, it's certainly not due to not enough time to bother, or the cost of doing so.

Risen. Its one of the few games I bought off of steam, at launch, that I cant bring myself to finish. I know alot of people love the game, however I gave up playing after about 3 hrs. I went back to try it several times but I couldnt bring myself to enjoy it. Its my most regrettable purchase of a game to date.

Supreme Commander 2 and Just Cause 2 kinda. Its basically a GTA style game play which is ok I guess but it kinda gets old after a while. Supreme Commander I played the first 2 or 3 missions and just haven't play it again since, even during my boredom during AIT/tech school. I got them cheap during the holiday sale recently so 2 out of 8 I regret so far is pretty good odds, and only cost me $10 total (mistake-wise)

Gametap costs me $5/month. For that I get access currently to ~900 games. This includes fairly current games like Ghostbusters and Sniper Ghost Warrior.

If you're correct, it might explain why/how in the hell Gabe got so fat, though.

But Steam certainly could have every game in their library tested by themselves, if they really wanted to. If they're not, it's certainly not due to not enough time to bother, or the cost of doing so.

GameTap has employees that specifically test games to make sure the work on their service and in fact test them before releasing them. GameTap also releases significantly less games at once than Steam and they don't have to have the games up the exact second they release either. Valve has a fairly small staff, most dedicated to actually making games. They would need to hire staff to do the testing and then force studios to give them code early to make sure it works and then test it on a number of different system configurations. Its not something they can do with their current staff and something that would cost a good bit of money to do.

PS: Ghostbusters is a year and a half old, nowhere near recent.

The Void, Overlord series (I found it boring and console-like)... because they are just too low on my priority list to ever play... oh well

I have too many games.

None (yet). I dont buy games on impulse and I don't buy them because 'they're a great deal'. I have other things to save for or spend money on so the large majority of games I buy.. I play immediately or soon after. I buy games I genuinly want to play and do my best to avoid a stellar deal.

Everytime I think about blowing even $2 on a game I think about how selfish it is for me to do that, while my son and/or wife don't really have that option.

ROFL Gametap. I Can't believe people pay for such crappy game list. I mean they hardly have games that were released in 2009 from what I see. Plus most if not all those games can be had for under $5 on steam and you own it.

Unreal Tournament 3. It felt like I was an engine tester, it was a shell of a game.

For sure. Its a little bit better with the Titan Pack, Titan Mode is really fun. But its still nothing compared to its predecessors.

Probably just Far Cry 2 (one of the worst games ever made, boring and repetitive). Repetitive boredom. Yay.

OP, EVE Online is easily one of the best bit assemblers ever created. I've been playing for 4+ years and still love it. You just have to play with friends.

BC2 is a pretty darn good game. I have 600+ hours and a 3+ KDR. Game of the year, easily.

Titan Quest. Yeah, I had carpal tunnel syndrome after playing it for an obnoxious number of hours, but if you like Diablo type games it's one of, if not the best, out there.

ROFL Gametap. I Can't believe people pay for such crappy game list. I mean they hardly have games that were released in 2009 from what I see. Plus most if not all those games can be had for under $5 on steam and you own it.

Gametap has games that came out just this summer. Yes, in 2010. And not January 2010, but June 2010. But no, you can't expect them to have MoH and Black Ops.

Perhaps you can buy some of them during this week's Steam sale for $5, but that's also $5 for each game. For $5/month, you have access to Gametap's entire catalog.

You can't have everything, but it's a good value. If it had all of the newest games, people wouldn't ever buy 'em, even off of Steam.

Even during the sales this week, I spent $66 in one day on Steam. Why the hell would I spend that in one day, if Gametap had the ability to offer access to all of those games and more for even less money for an entire year? Get real!

And the point was, Gametap does work, and is tested to assure it works.

With Steam, you can get a "we don't give a fuck, we already got your five bucks" response if something will never work. Wasted money is waste.

People who knock Gametap are obviously people who aren't their customers and don't use their service.

I wish I never bought darksiders. I had a gut feeling I wasnt going to like it. I didnt like God of war at all & this game even tho its different has a certain GOW/Devil May Cryish feel.

Wasted 10 bux in my opinion.

Street Fighter IV... think it may rot a long while. I'm a noob when it comes to using an Xbox controller, which is a liability when playing this game. L4Dead... although I paid very little for it, I think it is a stale idea for a game. I shouldn't have bought it knowing how little I cared for it conceptually. COD:MW2... crap game. I think this is such a wrong way for FPS games to go. I like games where skill is highly valued, and exploitation is difficult.

Shattered Union. I didn't look at any of the requirements because I figured it would work because it's on steam. I bought me and 6 friends copies to mess around with and well.... It doesn't work with win7 or shitsa. So out like 5 bucks =/

Personally the game I regret buying most is HAWX 2. Waited for months and months for it to come to steam. Then when it finally came the piece of crap was a major let down. Not only are the graphics no better than the first one, but it was buggy as crap. First set of missions the option to land the plane after the mission wouldn't come up so I was continuously retrying the same mission just to land. I think I've played a total of 2 hours of it and haven't touched it since. Talk about a waste of $60.

I also somewhat regret buying RE5. I've never played a RE game before so I thought I would try. A buddy and I both picked it on one one of the summer sales and gave it a try. Honestly I don't know how anyone could possibly put up with those controls... Do these developers not realize that people are capable of moving and shooting at the same time?

Sorry about the rants, that anger has been building up for a while haha.

Anyways other than that I am just a bit embarrassed that I've added another 15 games to my backlog and have no idea when I'm going to get a chance to try them all.

Torchlight: I LOVED Diablo II but for some reason I just couldn't get into this game.

Odd World original two games, my own fault though, not what I thought they would be. Maybe Braid and Audiosurf, just couldn't get into either game. SFIV, my controller feels sloppy with it but maybe I can't play a SF game without a true arcade stick. :( But oh well, that is the beauty of the sales, don't lose much when I don't care for the game. :)

possibly kane and lynch..i kind of knew this going into it...only bought this cuz i picked up Kane and lynch 2 for $5

The Last Remnant, I have always been a fan of JRPGs, I was excited to see a release for the PC. The game was ultimately a disappointment. I paid full price too and they are still gouging people $20 for it even on the holiday sale.

I wish I never bought darksiders. I had a gut feeling I wasnt going to like it. I didnt like God of war at all & this game even tho its different has a certain GOW/Devil May Cryish feel.

Wasted 10 bux in my opinion.

That's too bad. You seemed stoked in the STEAM sales thread. But, I understand.

I'm not a big fan of those types of games either (what is their "type?"). The videos/trailers make them look pretty damn exciting. However, I find that the rush only lasts twenty minutes or so. Then my reaction is "oh, so how much more of this do I have to do?"

Yeah thats exactly how I felt I started it up & it was pretty cool then played for a bit & got bored very quick.

Hawx 2 - worse gameplay then 1st part, can't choose planes, game forces you in certain mission to only use guns, with all your missiles being avoided.

Modern Warfare 2 - after MW1 I wanted to see the plot continues, but got plot worse then any of Uwe Boll's creation, boring scripted shooter.

Aliens vs Predator - very short, not scary, absolute rubbish, compared to AvP 2

Wow. There are some titles being mentioned that I NEVER thought I would see. L4D2. Torchlight, BC2? You guys are tasteless! Tasteless I say!

Not even close for me...THE game I despise having purchased from Steam is Farcry 2. My god what a POS title that was. Any game where catching fucking malaria is a major game mechanic...

Also Supreme Commander 2. This game just had me thinking of bad things to do the developers with some pipes and blowtorches.

TF2, because it sucks awfully bad, i forgot why i got out of pc gaming and that is exactly why, super fast mindless numb kill anything that moves with a bunch of 12 yr olds.....blech

Funny, the servers I frequent are all 18+. You must just suck at finding servers.

Also, isn't "kill anything that moves" the point of any online shooter?

super fast mindless numb

I think you have Team Fortress 2 confused with Quake.

Funny, the servers I frequent are all 18+. You must just suck at finding servers.

How do they verify that you are over 18? Do you have to send a copy of your Comcast bill/drivers license/birth certificate, or do you just select your birth date? :rolleyes:

My regret - Half Life: Blue Shift. Such a short game for the moneys charged, for those of us who picked it up when it came out (rather than part of a bundle).

Bad Company 2. Game isn't even remotely fun. And wow singleplayer FOV.

Farcry 2 - repetitive, repetitive, repetitive. I can't believe I sank 20 hours into this game in an effort to actually finish it and not give up.
Deadspace - horrible controls! I gave up about 4 hours in.
Left 4 Dead - not worth what I paid. I should have waited until it was $10 or less. The game feels like the equivalent of numerous free HL1 mods I've played and is totally overrated.

Deadspace- Controls sucked and it generally just felt slow. Could have been pretty epic.
Mirrors Edge. Great idea, well done engine that was poorly executed, it kind of felt like a mid 90's console game.
AvP. Loved the originals, this one looked fantastic but was boring.

Back