• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which SSD to get for a new PC

Darlok

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
131
Hi guys... I'm in a process of building a new PC... Not sure about which SSD to get..

I'm debating between the INTEL 240GB S3500, the Samsumg 840 PRO Series 256GB and between the Samsung EVO. Which one of these is the best? Looking for 180-250GB Max SSD Drive for my new rig.

Thnx
 
Will depend on the load you will give to the ssd.

If its not that heavy Samsung 840 Evo offer good performance for the money, and considering we might see sata express ssds in the future, i would invest the least i can on ssds today.
 
Last edited:
The Intel 3500 is a good SSD though but cost more compared to Samsung 840 EVO. So I'd say 840 EVO would be a good option for cost and performance.
 
If money isn't an issue, the new OCZ 350 PCI-e 480 GB is blazing fast at a cost of $829.
 
oh hey guys.. I'm not really that keen on speed... This will be my first SSD.. I guess any SSD would be faster than my Hard Drive I have on my Dual Core CPU :0 Is there noticeable difference between SSD's? And I need only 160-256 GB of space.. Don't care for the larger SSD's.... My Budget is around $200, give or take $50...

Just not sure if i should be getting the Evo or the Pro from Samsung or an Intel SSD

I am planning on running some VMWare instances for games...
 
With that budget, and the feeling I get that you don't upgrade often I'd get the one with the longest warranty as you'll probably have it a while :)
 
My Budget is around $200, give or take $50...

The Crucial 256GB MX100 is only $110. Consider that over the $135 240GB Samsung EVO. The $236 240GB Intel S3500 is an enterprise drive and is quite a bit slower than the $200 256GB Samsung Pro. You would do better to look at the $170 240GB Intel 530 or the $225 240GB Intel 730.

So for 240GB to 256GB consumer SSDs from the big three (Intel, Samsung and Crucial) it's:

$110 Crucial MX100
$110 Crucial m500
$135 Samsung EVO
$157 Crucial m550
$170 Intel 530
$200 Samsung Pro
$225 Intel 730

These are all today's Amazon prices; you can often find better prices elsewhere. They're all good. If you're not that keen on speed, these will all feel the same to you - blazing fast compared to your hard drive.
 
Last edited:
Will depend on the load you will give to the ssd.

If its not that heavy Samsung 840 Evo offer good performance for the money, and considering we might see sata express ssds in the future, i would invest the least i can on ssds today.

SATA-Express isn't going to make a huge difference, at least not initially. The biggest factor is the near instant access times and significantly higher low queue depth random reads and writes. And low QD reads and writes barely break 200 MB/s on the fastest consumer drives, and most are in the 100 MB/s range.

oh hey guys.. I'm not really that keen on speed... This will be my first SSD.. I guess any SSD would be faster than my Hard Drive I have on my Dual Core CPU :0 Is there noticeable difference between SSD's? And I need only 160-256 GB of space.. Don't care for the larger SSD's.... My Budget is around $200, give or take $50...

Just not sure if i should be getting the Evo or the Pro from Samsung or an Intel SSD

I am planning on running some VMWare instances for games...

For $200, you can get a 480-512gb SSD. For example, the Crucial MX100 512gb SSD was $199 at Amazon a few days ago, seen here: http://slickdeals.net/f/6987702-crucial-mx100-512gb-sata-2-5-7mm-with-9-5mm-adapter-internal-solid-state-drive-199-00-shipped-new-lowest-price-by-1-00

If you're in no hurry, just watch slickdeals.net. If you really don't care about the larger hard drive space, you can get 240-256gb SSDs for under $100 nowadays.
 
Wait n/m.. I'll go with the 730... But there's 2 different versions of it... Microcenter sells one version also, but i'm not sure which... What's the difference between the 2 Newegg versions (SSDSC2BP240G4R5 and SSDSC2BP240G410) that they sell and which does Microcenter stock?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167190&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167191

Thnx
 
I would suggest to wait till the first NVMe-capabale drives are available at a reasonable price before using SATA Express. SATA Express with AHCI, which all current available SATA Express SSDs use as far as I know, will just give you a higher sequential throughput, but will still be limited by the legacy AHCI protocol. Although they may be a bit faster here and there, from my point of view that is not enough to jump onto a new technology and unproven products.
 
I would suggest to wait till the first NVMe-capabale drives are available at a reasonable price before using SATA Express. SATA Express with AHCI, which all current available SATA Express SSDs use as far as I know, will just give you a higher sequential throughput, but will still be limited by the legacy AHCI protocol. Although they may be a bit faster here and there, from my point of view that is not enough to jump onto a new technology and unproven products.

sorry bro.. English plz
 
sorry bro.. English plz

He's saying that if you're going to buy a SATA Express SSD, wait until they release/finalize/publish/integrate a new set of specifications (called NVM Express or NVMe) that determines how the OS accesses the SSDs to better utilize that SATA Express SSD. Getting a SATA Express SSD that still relies on AHCI means you're not getting the full advantage of the SATA Express interface/hardware. Basically saying don't buy a high-end car with a manual transmission if you only know how to drive automatic and don't plan on learning how to drive manual for a long time.

As for the differences between the two Intel SSDs you listed, the SSDSC2BP240G4R5 comes in a professional-ish packaging and includes a SATA cable and a software/driver/installation CD. The SSDSC2BP240G410 comes in a plain brown box and does not include a SATA cable or software/driver/installation CD.
 
He's saying that if you're going to buy a SATA Express SSD, wait until they release/finalize/publish/integrate a new set of specifications (called NVM Express or NVMe) that determines how the OS accesses the SSDs to better utilize that SATA Express SSD. Getting a SATA Express SSD that still relies on AHCI means you're not getting the full advantage of the SATA Express interface/hardware. Basically saying don't buy a high-end car with a manual transmission if you only know how to drive automatic and don't plan on learning how to drive manual for a long time.

As for the differences between the two Intel SSDs you listed, the SSDSC2BP240G4R5 comes in a professional-ish packaging and includes a SATA cable and a software/driver/installation CD. The SSDSC2BP240G410 comes in a plain brown box and does not include a SATA cable or software/driver/installation CD.


Oh okay.. TY for the clarification... So which one should I go with? The 730 Series or the 530 Series?
 
Personally I would get an 840 EVO for a normal desktop PC or an 840 Pro if I had a write-intensive workload like raw video editing or heavy file movements. Running a few VMs now and then is not a write intensive workload. In fact, I just bought an 840 EVO mSATA to upgrade my 5? year old ThinkPad T410s.

I see no reason to buy a server grade SSD for a desktop PC. Samsung has an excellent track record regarding the reliability of their SSDs.
 
Speed wise the latest offerings are all pretty close but I do like samsungs drives and software. Those lower cost crucials are something I'm considering now since I need at least a 500gb system drive.

I run a 840 pro and a 830 pro, can't tell them apart other than benchmarks. I have an 840 Evo in the laptop and it's just as fast as the pro if you don't run benchmarks.

As one guy pointed out, get the biggest size you can for the dollar. Crucial seems to want that market but I suspect samsung and intel will answer with more space and lower prices.
 
Oh okay.. TY for the clarification... So which one should I go with? The 730 Series or the 530 Series?

Neither really unless your new PC happens to be a high-end server or something. As I said in your other thread, I'd recommend the Samsung Evo series. They're solid SSDs and the extra software they come with makes them a worthwhile purchase over the Crucial MX100s IMO.
 
Back
Top