• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which speaker would YOU choose?

Which <$5000 would you choose if you were me?


  • Total voters
    41
  • Poll closed .
Are these type of speakers basically like studio monitors but for large rooms?
 
they're all mains, deisgned for listening rather than studio monitors
 
Pinipig523 said:
Frankly, I dont think Klipschorns are supremely neutral. You're kidding yourself if you know what neutral sounds like when you werent even at the studio when the recording was made.


Thats the beauty of music like Pink Floyd, symphonic or other very instrumental music...they have sounds that you know what they are supposed to sound like. It's hard to say a sax or trumpet or piano would sound less natural if it was in a studio or in front of you at a rehearsal. Speaker neutrality can really make these clean or muddy.

When those same sounds are played on various speakers, it's easy to tell which speakers sound more natural and believable, especially if you do have experience listening to the real instruments (anyone who has ever been in an instrumental band or such).
 
BBA said:
Thats the beauty of music like Pink Floyd, symphonic or other very instrumental music...they have sounds that you know what they are supposed to sound like. It's hard to say a sax or trumpet or piano would sound less natural if it was in a studio or in front of you at a rehearsal. Speaker neutrality can really make these clean or muddy.

When those same sounds are played on various speakers, it's easy to tell which speakers sound more natural and believable, especially if you do have experience listening to the real instruments (anyone who has ever been in an instrumental band or such).


I definitely agree with you, clarity and transparency can make it sound "real". The question is "neutrality".... you cant call something neutral unless you were there at the recording studio and you heard the original recording. Semantics aside, I'm sure the Klipschorn are great speakers. I just dont like them because they are horn loaded and they need to be corner loaded.... not to mention they are big and bulky to my eyes.

My opinion of course, your's may differ.
 
I see your point about them needing to be corner loaded and being big and bulky.
That is the reason I wouldn't be able to use them myself.

But...Celestion would be the next I would consider, the DL-10. The good thing about the DL-10 is you can buy them used (they are not made any more) for a fairly good price if you look around.


Now...besides and orchestra, is there any such thing as being 'in the studio' listening to the actual performance?

Now before you go ff half cocked about that question...just think, what studio's record music from stereo speaker vantage points? I would beg to say very few if any, since most studios are recorded instrument by instrument with sound processing on each instrument track and the musicians themselves are listening to processed sounds through headphones. Heck, this means not even the musicians hear what it really sounds like even when they are playing it.

So, to me, sounding natural and lively and crisp and percussive and dynamic is neutral because thats the sound of live sounds.
 
Although the polls had the following order:

1. BW 804N
2. Paradigm S8
3. Martin Logan Vantage

I'm going with the Vantage as I heard all 3 of those speakers and I preferred the Vantage by a significant margin.

Thanks guys.
 
Chair said:
they're all mains, deisgned for listening rather than studio monitors

Is there a big difference between mains and studio monitors when listening to music?
 
These speakers are awesome.... they're playing right now and it's far better than anything I've had before. No contest in my opinion. I'll post pics and more thoughts tomorrow... I just finished setting them up and my computer crashed (completely - had to do a format and clean XP install, stupid XFi drivers!).

Im going to bed.
 
Pinipig523 said:
These speakers are awesome.... they're playing right now and it's far better than anything I've had before. No contest in my opinion. I'll post pics and more thoughts tomorrow... I just finished setting them up and my computer crashed (completely - had to do a format and clean XP install, stupid XFi drivers!).

Im going to bed.
Unfortunate computer problem, but congratulations on the new speakers. I wish someday I could get some high end speakers. :sigh:

Die'ing to see some pictures and a short review of them. :D
 
towert7 said:
Unfortunate computer problem, but congratulations on the new speakers. I wish someday I could get some high end speakers. :sigh:

Die'ing to see some pictures and a short review of them. :D

You'll get up here... you're what, like 3-4 years younger than me? You got time to catch up!

I'll post pics soon and a good review.

Stupid Creative drivers.... lost my recent files. :mad:
 
Back
Top